+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa to be able to stay in Canada until my PR comes.

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
HI

I want to know the best way to go about getting a visitor visa to allow me to stay with my family whilst my PR is going through.

My current work visa ends on May 5th. I have worked in Canada for 3 years. My Common law partner is from Canada. We have bought a house together and have a child together (born in canada).

As stated my work visa expires on May 5th coming up! Do i just apply for a visitor visa and say i am waiting for my PR to come through. My application was recieved on October 10th 2016. I am still waiting for my background check to change. i was requested to send more pictures back in October and my ecas has never updated since then.

Will they make me leave Canada? Or will they allow me to stop working and stay here until the process is complete?

Any advice or experience on these sort of thing would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Lesliechan7

Apr 19, 2017
If your application submitted inland. You can extend your work permit by providing your FN. if you submitted your application outside of Canada. You can do like a visitor record stay in Canada as a visitor which means no work!

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
Do you want to continue working in Canada while you wait for PR? If so I believe you'd need to extend / renew your work permit. Not too familiar on that process as I have not done it.

However staying in Canada as a visitor (Temporary Residency Visa) is quite easy to do!

When I crossed in to Canada I told the agent I would like to cross with dual-intent, because we have a PR app in progress and I want to be with my wife. They had me pull in to the building and I went inside. Gave them all the information they asked for. This is what the agent asked me for...

Application # - To look up and verify our application.

Bank Statements - To show we had funds readily available to support me as I wasn't going to be able to work under this visa.

Pay Stubs - From my wife (Sponsor/Canadian) showing she was employed and making enough money to support us.

Lease Information in Canada - To show where I was going was true, and also provided my landlady's contact information so they could verify if need be.

Lease Information in USA (BIG ONE) - The border wants to be satisfied that you will not illegally stay in Canada past your allotted time. I had to provide some way to show the agent I still had ties to the USA, and that I would leave at the end of my stay (if my extension was denied) and I did so by providing a copy of my USA apartment lease. My roommate is fine with me doing this, he just sublets my room out to someone else.

Last one doesn't HAVE to be a lease, but that is what I had to offer. MAYBE you could still get a TRV without proving ties to the USA, but it is ultimately at the discretion of the agent to feel confident that you will obey all the rules of the TRV.

All in all, in less than an hour I was a TRV stapled to my passport page and I was on my way!

I really hope the best for you and that you can stay with your family!!!

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
So im on IEC so extension is not an option.

Last time i applied for a visitor visa whilst my new IEC was coming i didnt need to even go to the boarder. i just applied online and stayed.

When i get a visitor visa approved do i need to go to the boarder?

I live in canada now. I dont have any ties to the UK where i am from. My family is here and the house i own is here.

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
I'm not sure, those were just the circumstances I was in when I got my TRV. Why don't you give them a call and ask? They'll be honest and tell you your options, and they'd probably know better than most!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Jason12345 said:
So im on IEC so extension is not an option.

Last time i applied for a visitor visa whilst my new IEC was coming i didnt need to even go to the boarder. i just applied online and stayed.

When i get a visitor visa approved do i need to go to the boarder?

I live in canada now. I dont have any ties to the UK where i am from. My family is here and the house i own is here.
if you're in canada, then you want to apply to extend your stay as a visitor online. there is no need to go to the boarder, and it's actually much riskier to do so.