+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa from China

laotumao

Sep 26, 2012
Hi, all,

My friend's son is coming to Victoria, BC to study in a high school as an international student. His parents plan to come with him to help him settle down and then go back to China. Can they apply for their visa with the reason of accompanying their son? If not, would my invitation letter work (I'm a PR in BC)? If so, do I need to show CIC that I have a certain amount of income from my job to cover 3 of them? Is it possible for them to get a visitor visa with the reason to send their son here? Or is it easier to have just one parent to come with the son?

Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Assume that the son has his own study permit, you won't need to mention him in your invitation letter to invite your friend in visiting you. Yes, you would need to provide certain financial proofs and income proofs (such as NOA).

I don't know if mentioning that the reason to send their son do any good for applying the visa. Can't you just invite them to visit you for a short period?

laotumao

Sep 26, 2012
Hi, Steaky,

Thank you so much for your response. Their son is applying for a study permit. Because they'll apply after their son got his visa, it's unlikely they don't mention their son. It sounds like the situation is hard. They don't simply approve you a visa just because you need to send your son to Canada, especially the whole family is coming. If they come visit me, the officer will realize that their son has a study permit already, which will make the officer feel being cheated. So, in this case, it looks like either way is hard for them :'(. What do you think, Steaky?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wait until the son gets his study permit first. Even if the son has a study permit already, how would the officer feel being cheated if the parents come to Canada to visit you?

NLY39739

Sep 24, 2012
you have to apply as soon as possible because the information on standard processing time for TRV in China is all one big lie. they wrote 2 weeks in their website but i was informed it will take 8 weeks. yesterday i went to the visa section to cancel my application because i need my passport asap. i met some other applicants who wish to withdraw their applications too because they have waited even longer than I have and still haven't received anything (an extremely pleasant gentleman i met has waited for 2 1/2 months now)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NLY39739 said:
(an extremely pleasant gentleman i met has waited for 2 1/2 months now)
Wow! My in-laws must be very lucky then. They applied early last month and got the visa in two weeks.

The posted reference time is for reference only. Never assume... Nevertheless, I agree on applying as soon as possible.

laotumao

Sep 26, 2012
Hi,

It may confuse the officer if they just intend to visit me without mentioning thier son (as Steaky mentioned earlier) who will study in Canada. If they mention their son, do you guys think they can get their visa for the reason of simply accompanying their son to Canada? I doubt it. It may be more straight forward to say that they are accompanying their son. But then, the officer may think they have the intention of immigration. My friends just came up with a new idea. They will come with a tour group to visit Canada. However, I think it may be even more suspicious to the officer why they plan to visit Canada after their son has got a study permit. Really not sure about the situation. Please advise my friends. Thanks.

NLY39739

Sep 24, 2012
when my older sister went to canada for the first time to study, my mom also went along with her and stayed for 1 month. she mentioned to the visa office during the interview that the purpose is to accompany my older sister, pay for apartment deposit, open bank account,etc. basically until my sister settles down. when it was my turn to go to canada and study in toronto, my mom also applied the same TRV with the same reason, accompanying me until i settle down even though my older sister is already in canada. but this time she only stayed 2 weeks.

it was the same when i move to the netherlands to continue my education. my mom applied for a tourist visa for the exact same purpose which is to accompany me until i settle down. i guess the reason why the visa officer was convinced that my mom had no intention to immigrate to canada is because she traveled without my dad (so she has to go back right? otherwise my dad will die from hunger cuz he can't cook) and also my mom proved that she has a good job that needs her to be back to work asap hence no reason for her to stay long and immigrate to canada.

laotumao

Sep 26, 2012
Thank you NLY39739 for your experience. That makes sense. But if both of your mom and dad applied, it might be different. I think it's more secured to have just 1 parent to apply.