+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for sister in law - who should do it?

Zuzu1983

Mar 23, 2023
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
12-03-2023
AOR Received.
01-04-2023
Med's Request
06-04-2023
Med's Done....
10-04-2023
Hi everyone,

I'm a canadian citizen, and currently sponsoring my wife for PR (inland). We got married in 2022 with a simple ceremony at the court house with my immediate family and my wife's closest friends, with the full intention that we would wait a year or two and then do a proper wedding celebration. One major reason for having a 2nd wedding, was so that my wife's family in Brazil could come to attend.

Our 2nd wedding is happening in October this year, and despite inviting a few family members (aunt, cousin etc.) to come, only my wife's sister is going to come (their parents are deceased) from her side. We are paying for the trip (about 1 week long), we'll write the letters, etc.

Now that my SIL has had her passport made (she's never been outside of the country), we are applying for her visitor visa under Family visit.

My main question is: should my wife (her sister) be the one to submit her visitor visa request, even though my wife is still undergoing her spousal sponsorship and therefore has only temporary resident status currently? Or myself as a citizen?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I'm a canadian citizen, and currently sponsoring my wife for PR (inland). We got married in 2022 with a simple ceremony at the court house with my immediate family and my wife's closest friends, with the full intention that we would wait a year or two and then do a proper wedding celebration. One major reason for having a 2nd wedding, was so that my wife's family in Brazil could come to attend.

Our 2nd wedding is happening in October this year, and despite inviting a few family members (aunt, cousin etc.) to come, only my wife's sister is going to come (their parents are deceased) from her side. We are paying for the trip (about 1 week long), we'll write the letters, etc.

Now that my SIL has had her passport made (she's never been outside of the country), we are applying for her visitor visa under Family visit.

My main question is: should my wife (her sister) be the one to submit her visitor visa request, even though my wife is still undergoing her spousal sponsorship and therefore has only temporary resident status currently? Or myself as a citizen?

Thank you!
Your sister in law is the one who submits the visitor visa application, not you or your wife. You and your wife can provide a letter of invitation.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Zuzu1983

Mar 23, 2023
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
12-03-2023
AOR Received.
01-04-2023
Med's Request
06-04-2023
Med's Done....
10-04-2023
When you get the forms and steps, there are checkboxes around whether you are going to visit a family member who is a Canadian citizen, or who is a temporary resident.

Is there any difference in how visas are processed or considered if we choose one or the other? Should she pick visiting a citizen (her sister in law) or a temporary resident (her sister)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When you get the forms and steps, there are checkboxes around whether you are going to visit a family member who is a Canadian citizen, or who is a temporary resident.

Is there any difference in how visas are processed or considered if we choose one or the other? Should she pick visiting a citizen (her sister in law) or a temporary resident (her sister)?
Makes minimal difference but would ensure that you and your spouse are both included on the invitation letter. Your SIL will be expected to show she can cover the cost of travel and has strong ties to Brazil. I would include a copy of the wedding invitation and/or confirmation of booking venue as additional proof of the wedding. The fact that she has never travelled internationally hurts the application.

Reactions: Zuzu1983