+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for British girl

Londonlady31

May 15, 2012
Hi,

I am a English Girl and moving to Vancouver in September. I am coming over as a tourist for 4 months to spend time with my Canadian boyfriend.

I am concerned when I come over in September if immigration will let me come through for 4 months, if I have the below documents is it likely I will be taken away and interrogated or will this be figured out at the desk based on providing this evidence? I will not mention I am there to stay with my boyfriend and I can give my friends addresss for my place of residence whilst there instead.

-Banks statement to show I have enough funds whilst there
-Rental lease for my property in London, this was signed in June and runs to next May.
-Medical Insurance
-Return ticket
-In terms of a job, I am giving up my job in London to move but I am currently discussing options with other employers for when I come back should I print off this info to bri. If it a good idea to say that I was made me redundant and I am having a career break? What is the best reason to give for me coming to Canada for 4 months?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
Re: Vistor Visa for British girl

Londonlady31 said:
Hi,

I am a English Girl and moving to Vancouver in September. I am coming over as a tourist for 4 months to spend time with my Canadian boyfriend.

I am concerned when I come over in September if immigration will let me come through for 4 months, if I have the below documents is it likely I will be taken away and interrogated or will this be figured out at the desk based on providing this evidence? I will not mention I am there to stay with my boyfriend and I can give my friends addresss for my place of residence whilst there instead.

-Banks statement to show I have enough funds whilst there
-Rental lease for my property in London, this was signed in June and runs to next May.
-Medical Insurance
-Return ticket
-In terms of a job, I am giving up my job in London to move but I am currently discussing options with other employers for when I come back should I print off this info to bri. If it a good idea to say that I was made me redundant and I am having a career break? What is the best reason to give for me coming to Canada for 4 months?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Moving is a bad choice of word I'm sure you mean visiting.

British passport holders don't need/aren't issued visas but you may well be issued a visitor record by immigration, this basically just states when you must leave Canada by and can't work/study etc. You aren't taken away and interrogated though that makes it sound worse than it is, the person you initially see first at your port of entry will either stamp your passport and wish you on your way, or tell you you must go to the immigration desk for further questioning where you must satisfy the officer you're only visiting and intend to return home.

If it's your first visit then you may well get past OK without being sent to immigration (you would also automatically be granted 6 months stay if that is the case without any paperwork like a visitor record) though not sure if staying for a longish time automatically flags you up as someone to be sent to immigration. In my first 2 visits there which were around a month I got past OK, I was also honest and said I was visiting my girlfriend, it was on my 3rd visit which was 3 months initiallly (btw had no problem extending to 9 months) that I got sent to immigration and given a Visitor Record but I'm not sure if that was cause it was a longer visit or 3rd visit in a relatively short space of time...probably both.

Really though if all what you say is correct I don't think you will have too many problems even if you do get sent to immigration, probably a career break a good thing to say if they press you on the job situation. I was also never asked for bank statements I think people worry too much about this? All they asked me was how much money I was carrying and what bank/credit cards I had which I showed them...even in my applications to extend to 6 and 9 months I only ever told them what money I had and sent in a photograph of my bank cards ( I thought they might reject it tbh and ask for further proof as it wasn't the best of photos lol) and this seemed to satisfy them as I got approved both times.

Londonlady31

May 15, 2012
Re: Vistor Visa for British girl

Thank you so much for your help, you have really put my mind at rest as I have been really worried that I could get there and they may not let me come through for 4 months because I can't prove a job to come back to.

I was in Vancouver in December 2011 and April 2012 so this will be my 3rd visit in the past year so I am guessing I will get flagged up. I am very happy to hear they don't take you away and interagate you. I have heard so much misleading information so it is great to hear of someone else from the UK who has done the same thing.

Thanks,

Jen

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
It's only my personal experience, hopefully a few more people will add theirs as I'm in the same boat. I would of thought as it's your 3rd visit and you are staying longer you will have to answer a few questions at immigration and you will be issued a Visitor Record. Not having a job may make things a bit trickier I'm not sure, I'm self employed but not sure if that counts for anything or not.

Let us know how you get on, I'm going back again also which will be my 4th time in under 2 years, I am also a bit worried about the reaction I will face, I guess with each visit in a shortish space of time it gets harder particularly if you're staying longer when they can think it looks more like you're living there (or even working illegally), I can't see me being turned away (god forbid that would be hellish to spend money on airline tickets and be sent back) but wont ever fully relax until I'm through and back with my girlfriend. It will (hopefully) be my last visit as a tourist and will have PR in around a years time.

Londonlady31

May 15, 2012
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your help it has made me feel better as I have been so worried, the most fustrating part is I just missed out on the working holiday visa as I am 31. I really don't understand why it is made so hard. Good luck with your visit and I will let you know how I get on, I hope I don't have any issues going through.

Jen