+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa duration

music5

Jan 10, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how should I calculate tourist visa days? I have just purchased a ticket for my family member who is coming to visit me here in Canada. I have told the travel agent who booked the tickets that he should only book for 6 months minus 2-3 days. And this is how he booked the ticket:

Landing on March 10th 2014
Departing on September 7, 2014.

Now if you look at this from month to month then it is 3 days less but if you calculate using days then it is more than 180 days.

I know that visitor visa is only valid for 6 months at a time even the multiple entry one. Do I need to extend his visa or they will be able to return on that date?

I won't be able to change the ticket because it is non-refundable.

Any help or suggestion on this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks,

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calculate the days which is printed in Visa. If it is 180 Days. The person need to return with in 180 Days strictly. You need to change the ticket without no other way. Ask the travel agent to change the returning ticket and not to cancel. May be they charge you around 10 - 20%. But so it sooner.

music5 said:
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how should I calculate tourist visa days? I have just purchased a ticket for my family member who is coming to visit me here in Canada. I have told the travel agent who booked the tickets that he should only book for 6 months minus 2-3 days. And this is how he booked the ticket:

Landing on March 10th 2014
Departing on September 7, 2014.

Now if you look at this from month to month then it is 3 days less but if you calculate using days then it is more than 180 days.

I know that visitor visa is only valid for 6 months at a time even the multiple entry one. Do I need to extend his visa or they will be able to return on that date?

I won't be able to change the ticket because it is non-refundable.

Any help or suggestion on this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks,

music5

Jan 10, 2014
Thank you for replying.

He has multiple entry visa for 5 years so would extending the visa can be other option, right? Unfortunatley ticket can not be changed without huge penality (almost the cost of new ticket).

Can I apply for extension while he is here based on return ticket because that will be cheaper option?

Thanks,

toronto30

May 14, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Parents
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/2009
Doc's Request.
03/2013
File Transfer...
07/30/2013
Med's Request
04 MAR 2015
Med's Done....
May 7, 2015
Interview........
ECAS: Started processing Feb 12, 2015
Passport Req..
August 5, 2015.
VISA ISSUED...
10 August 2015
LANDED..........
24 August 2015
music5 said:
Thank you for replying.

He has multiple entry visa for 5 years so would extending the visa can be other option, right? Unfortunatley ticket can not be changed without huge penality (almost the cost of new ticket).

Can I apply for extension while he is here based on return ticket because that will be cheaper option?

Thanks,
there are some airlines tickets valid upto one year, and you can put any date for returning and can change for a $50-150 first time. Yes, you can extend his stay 30 days before his valid stay in Canada.

Boyzone

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
Hello All,

I have a similar question regarding the validity of the Visa. Today, my parents received multiple entry Visa. But its validity is only till 25 Sept 2014 which is the same as my TRV validity. I thought they will give 10 years Valid Visa. On CIC it clearly mentions "It can be valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever is earlier. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your Visa.

Does anyone know what could be the reason, or is it right?

Now, if my parents arrive on 1st July 2014, can they wait for six months period till December end. Or do they have to leave by 25 Sept 2014? I have applied for my PR and hoping to get it by April.

Thanks!

sshh13

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Boyzone said:
Hello All,

I have a similar question regarding the validity of the Visa. Today, my parents received multiple entry Visa. But its validity is only till 25 Sept 2014 which is the same as my TRV validity. I thought they will give 10 years Valid Visa. On CIC it clearly mentions "It can be valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever is earlier. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your Visa.

Does anyone know what could be the reason, or is it right?

Now, if my parents arrive on 1st July 2014, can they wait for six months period till December end. Or do they have to leave by 25 Sept 2014? I have applied for my PR and hoping to get it by April.

Thanks!
I have got the same situation, although I have just a regular visitor visa (not supervisa). I applied recently and was asking multiple for 3 year. I did provide all the documents confirming such kind of duration. My visa was approved, but when they put a sticker to my passport - it was multiple only for 1 year, till dec 2014. I asked VO is there was a mistake and he said no, it was decision of the officer since it was my first multiple visa. He said, that if I will use this one properly (without violating the terms of stay) then next time they might give a longer one.
Usually the final duration of stay in the country is up to immigration officer on the border. He will put the stamp with the date. You parents might ask the officer to extend their stay for a few more months right there at the port of entry, but once again, it s up to the IO. Also, 30 days prior the expiration date they can apply for an extension. That might work.

Boyzone

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
I think they might be right because they will not give them 10 years visa because I am not a PR or a citizen and my visa is valid only till that date.

I will ask them to check with IO at the airport. Thanks for your comments sshh13.