+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa denied on vague grounds

stillhopeful

Feb 28, 2008
hi all,

wanted to share my recent experience and would love to hear any input or feedback anyone has.

a Kenyan friend of mine, currently resident in Tanzania (east Africa) was just rejected for a visitor visa. He is in his early 30's, a professional, and has been steadily employed since he graduated from university.

His application was denied for the following "reasons":

• your travel history
  • your length of proposed stay in Canada
  • limited employment prospects in his country of residence

backgrounder: he's travelled to 3 other nations w/in Africa, and the proposed length of stay was 20 days.

the thing that i find really confusing is that, especially with the first two, these reasons don't really contain much helpful information - what about his travel history, and length of the proposed stay? it is very unclear what they mean. and sure, east africa is not known for its wealth of jobs, but he has NEVER been out of work and is in a senior position with an international corporation. And he fully intended to return after his visit! I find it very perplexing. He had all the required documents, the application was complete and double checked. It seems to me they're saying, sorry, you're African, you've never left the continent, and your country of residence is poor, so tough luck buddy.

i'm astounded that he was denied. i thought it would be a sure thing. we're reasonable people, or so i thought! apparently not.

he will re-apply once he talks to the visa officers, but even the rejection letter stated: "should you wish to reapply, i would suggest that you do so only if your situation has changed substantiatively or you have significant new information to submit". So, after he works on a job creation program for Tz??? Aiiie. Very frustrating.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Good evidence to provide for a TRV includes:

1) evidence of ownership of property
2) evidence that you have family in your home country that you need to support
3) a letter from your employer that you are being allowed X days for vacation
4) evidence that you have enough money to pay for your trip
5) evidence of being well employed (i.e., well paid)
6) specific travel details, like things you want to see, etc.
7) a letter of invitation from a Canadian citizen or PR detailing the friendship and nature of the visit

Maybe he can go back and provide a little more evidence of his actual itinerary and reasons for needing to return home.

stillhopeful

Feb 28, 2008
thanks for your response, thaiguy.

we completed the app to spec, including a letter form a Canadian Citizen (me), letter from employer, financial info (which was seen to be fine).

he doens't own any property, but he does have family in a neighbouring home country which he sends money to every month or so. there was no way to indicate this though. do you think its a good idea for the applicant to include their own letter with such details, and additional proof that they must return home, even tho no such information is requested?

do you work in immigration/visas, thaiguy?

THANKS!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I don't work in immigration, stillhopeful. I'm an immigrant myself.

I don't know how much proof it's going to provide that your friend would eventually return "home" to his family when he's not living with them now. As to support, it's the same problem. He's been supporting them from another country. So it's not really convincing that he would have to return to his current job. He might just as well do that in any country.

Don't know what to say further...

scorchia

Mar 17, 2008
stillhopeful said:
hi all,

wanted to share my recent experience and would love to hear any input or feedback anyone has.

a Kenyan friend of mine, currently resident in Tanzania (east Africa) was just rejected for a visitor visa. He is in his early 30's, a professional, and has been steadily employed since he graduated from university.

His application was denied for the following "reasons":

• your travel history
  • your length of proposed stay in Canada
  • limited employment prospects in his country of residence

backgrounder: he's travelled to 3 other nations w/in Africa, and the proposed length of stay was 20 days.

the thing that i find really confusing is that, especially with the first two, these reasons don't really contain much helpful information - what about his travel history, and length of the proposed stay? it is very unclear what they mean. and sure, east africa is not known for its wealth of jobs, but he has NEVER been out of work and is in a senior position with an international corporation. And he fully intended to return after his visit! I find it very perplexing. He had all the required documents, the application was complete and double checked. It seems to me they're saying, sorry, you're African, you've never left the continent, and your country of residence is poor, so tough luck buddy.

i'm astounded that he was denied. i thought it would be a sure thing. we're reasonable people, or so i thought! apparently not.

he will re-apply once he talks to the visa officers, but even the rejection letter stated: "should you wish to reapply, i would suggest that you do so only if your situation has changed substantiatively or you have significant new information to submit". So, after he works on a job creation program for Tz??? Aiiie. Very frustrating.
:):) I’ve had same problem when I tried to visit my bf in UK:)no social ties, and u never been anywhere before..:)it was like if u never traveled before what for u want to travel now:)I wonder how we should build a travel history if they rejecting us. By the way I'm from Europe & also provided evidence of my work, my salary, my studies, letter from employee,bank account bla bla bla)but still)3 times rejected:) so nothing to we surprised about in this world:) Good luck