+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Status Expired Before Completion of Extension Application

sailinghome9

Feb 17, 2012
I knew that as of June 23, 2013 my legal Visitor Status in Canada would expire. I had intentions of heading back home (New York) but last minute me and my boyfriend decided that I should just apply for a Temporary Resident's Extension.

Grueling over the application and trying to scan/get the necessary documents ready.. the date passed by and when I tried logging onto the cicg. website; it said that my legal status had expired and now I need to restore my status or leave Canada. When I called the toll free number to find out what to do, the lady told me the only thing that changed was the fee was now $200.00, instead of $75.00. She also said I really needed to explain what happened to cause me to be illegal here, and that I needed to emphasize that I had enough money to be here.

My question is, on my application should I apply for the extension still? I can't imagine that just restoring my status will give me more time, correct? Is it better immediately submit my application for the restoration and/or the extension now, or wait further into my 90 days to leave the country? (especially if they're going to tell me as soon as they get it that I need to leave)

All of the funds that allow me to be here (even the funds that paid for my passport and travel tickets) were my boyfriend. So all of the proof of funds that I provide are directly related to him. ...his pay stubs, tax returns ect., On the online application, do you think this is adequate enough for them? Should I really make it clear in my cover letter of my dependence on him?

My last question is on the application, if indeed I should apply for an extension and the restoration, will I need the $275.00 fee?

Thanks in advance!!!!!