+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Status Expired 4 years Ago

Desta

Nov 14, 2009
I have a friend whose wife is a US citizen. She came to Canada to visit 4 years ago. A few months later she married my friend. Her visitors status has expired. Can she be deported if anyone finds this out? Would anything happen to my friend (ie. could he be charged with harboring an illegal immigrant?)

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course she could be deported. She's been here illegally for 4 years. I don't know if anything could happen to the husband... Perhaps one of the Immigration Enforcement people here can answer that?

ImmEnforce

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
1) Excluded for 1 Year and removed to the USA.
2) Can the Husband be charged?...sure if the elements of a criminal offence are met. It all depends on what he knew and what he did.
3) Would the husband be charged?... probably not
4) What should she do?......leave
5) What do most people do when they find themselves in the exact situation.... Apply for an In-Canada Spousal (H & C Exception)

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
the best way is to leave and leave by land - this way they will not check database as she'll go right to the US side while crossing.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The U.S.A. will likely record her entry, though, and if the Canadians have access to their information they will see that she left Canada on that date. I'm not sure if they have access to that information, however.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If the husband could do an Inland Spousal Sponsorship, then she probably does not have to leave Canada (except when the officers deem it appropriate to subject her for removal). Just a thought.

Desta

Nov 14, 2009
Now my friend and his wife want to go to the US for Christmas. Will there be problems crossing the border into the US and coming back again?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends. If they scan the passports when they enter the U.S.A. and then come back the Canadians will see that she was illegal for 4 years and they will almost certainly not let her back in. If they go across the border without scanning the passports or recording their entry then she might be ok.

Desta said:
Now my friend and his wife want to go to the US for Christmas. Will there be problems crossing the border into the US and coming back again?