+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor record refused at POE

ykze

Feb 8, 2016
I am from a visa exempt country (and have an eta).
Last year I entered Canada and was given a visitor record to accompany my husband who has a closed work permit (NOC A professional). His work permit was expiring this month and he successfully renewed it until 2019. Last week we went to USA for one day hoping to get another visitor record for me upon re-entry however the CBSA officer said that wasn't possible and only gave me a 6 month stamp in my passport. She said the only way to get another visitor record is to apply for an extension through CIC (current wait time 86 days).

To renew my RAMQ (medical insurance), I need a documenent to allow me to enter for more than 6 months asap and everything I've read since seems that I was just unlucky and could actually get another visitor record at a POE. I do not know if the CBSA agent put anything on my file which might make it difficult for me to try again. What would you advise now? I'm thinking one of the following options:
1) drive to the USA again and ask again for a visitor record (possibly at a different border crossing)
2) drive to USA and ask for a spouse open work permit instead - I am eligible for this (though don't have plans to work) and CIC website says it can be obtained at POE though not sure if they will give it to me since I've been in Canada (legally) for over a year and they may say I should have applied through CIC?
3) fly to USA instead and ask for visitor record or OWP on the way back.

If I drive to the USA, does it make any difference if I flagpole vs enter the USA for a few hours? I would prefer not to flagpole and always have some shopping to do.

Many thanks for any insight.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think your best bet is to go for the OWP.

It's really up to the individual CBSA officer if you're given a visitor record or not. It's really a dice roll. OWP should be more of a sure thing provided your spouse's job is NOC A, B or 0 and full time. Make sure you bring plenty of evidence to prove this including pay slips, a letter from his employer confirming his job title / pay / when he was hired / etc.

ykze

Feb 8, 2016
Thank you very much. Yes I have all documentation for OWP (his company already prepared it for me). It is an extra $255 but worth it for me. I did tell them last week that I didn't want to work, but unless I have health insurance my situation has changed such that I would need to work anyway.

In case you have time or insights on the following, I would appreciate it:

Some people think I should go to the same border crossing (to look less suspicious) some think to a different (maybe more friendly? I can visit a place in the USA closer to a different crossing. This is close to Montreal if there are any crossing that are known to be more or less friendly). Opinion?

Some think I should flagpole, some think I should enter the USA for a few hours. Will Canada officers look more favourably on one vs the other?

If the first officer I get rejects the work permit, is it ever possible or a good idea to ask to speak to a supervisor?

Last edited: