+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Record for a Minor

Fantasmu

Aug 24, 2015
Hello, my apologies if I'm not posting this in the right spot but wasn't sure where it fit.

I'm requesting information regarding my sister and her son, my nephew. She is Canadian but married an American, and the son was born in the USA. He is now 11 years old, but they never did any of the paperwork to get him a Canadian passport (currently he only has a US birth certificate, and we have just applied for a certificate of citizenship). Long story short, my sister and her son have now moved to Canada and are getting everything settled. Do we need to get him a visitor visa/record to legally stay in Canada? He is a Canadian citizen through his mother, but we are waiting on the citizenship certificate to prove that. Just haven't been able to find the appropriate link on the government site.

Just need to understand what we need to do to make sure he has no problem staying in Canada while everything gets settled.

Thank you for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, my apologies if I'm not posting this in the right spot but wasn't sure where it fit.

I'm requesting information regarding my sister and her son, my nephew. She is Canadian but married an American, and the son was born in the USA. He is now 11 years old, but they never did any of the paperwork to get him a Canadian passport (currently he only has a US birth certificate, and we have just applied for a certificate of citizenship). Long story short, my sister and her son have now moved to Canada and are getting everything settled. Do we need to get him a visitor visa/record to legally stay in Canada? He is a Canadian citizen through his mother, but we are waiting on the citizenship certificate to prove that. Just haven't been able to find the appropriate link on the government site.

Just need to understand what we need to do to make sure he has no problem staying in Canada while everything gets settled.

Thank you for your help.
Right now it's taking over a year and a half for proof of citizenship / citizenship certificate applications to be processed. I would recommend she apply ASAP.

Yes, she should apply to extend his status as a visitor in Canada. While he is technically a citizen, he doesn't have the paperwork to prove that right now and they could run into complications if they don't extend his status as a visitor.

Fantasmu

Aug 24, 2015
Right now it's taking over a year and a half for proof of citizenship / citizenship certificate applications to be processed. I would recommend she apply ASAP.

Yes, she should apply to extend his status as a visitor in Canada. While he is technically a citizen, he doesn't have the paperwork to prove that right now and they could run into complications if they don't extend his status as a visitor.
Thank you! We submitted the application for citizenship certificate today. I spoke to an immigration lawyer and was told that the key thing is that it's submitted and at least in process.

As for the visitor record, I'm not sure if I'm just not understanding the wording but every link I find talks about extending your visitor record but I have not found the right place to actually apply for a visitor record for the first time. Is the "extend your stay" the one I should be looking at?