+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting US while having TRV

bugibuuu

Mar 6, 2018
Hi !

I just got my trv extension approved for 6 months from within Canada. I like to go travel US for two week , when i take a visit to US does my TRV automatically ends ? and i need be in uncertainty again to hope that i can get new TRV in border ?

Thank you :)

bugibuuu

Mar 6, 2018
i answer my self , somebody can cofirm

If you have a single-entry temporary resident visa, you will generally need a new visa to come back to Canada.
You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
Multiple-Entry Temporary Resident Visa

Question is where can i request it ?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
1. Do you have a valid US visa?
2. Is your TRV single-entry or multiple-entry?
3. You did not get a "TRV extension", your visitor status was extended. It is different from your TRV.
4. If you leave Canada for the US, your extension/visitor status is ended. You will be assessed for a new entry once you enter Canada again. Maybe they will give you another 6 months, maybe they won't, or maybe they will just follow the date of your previous extension.

bugibuuu

Mar 6, 2018
thank you for answering , and i am sorry that i were not that informative :)

1. Do you have a valid US visa? Yes I am Estonian so all i need is to get my Esta application approved , its done already
2. Is your TRV single-entry or multiple-entry? My visa approval letter says that THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY
3.Alright :)
4.So that is a gamble , buts what that sentence stands for ?

"You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if:
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada."

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My visa approval letter says that THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY
Well, this seems like a very important detail. If that's the case--then I don't think you can re-enter Canada from the US. It seems you have to apply for a new TRV from the US. When I was granted a single-entry visa, I did not have that phrase.
Under "number of entries" in the visa itself, what does it say? ONE or MULTIPLE?

"You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if:
Well, I'm not sure this applies to you if you said the letter (assuming the phrase refers to your visa, and not the letter itself) says re-entry is not authorized.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thank you for answering , and i am sorry that i were not that informative :)

1. Do you have a valid US visa? Yes I am Estonian so all i need is to get my Esta application approved , its done already
2. Is your TRV single-entry or multiple-entry? My visa approval letter says that THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY
3.Alright :)

You are confusing a TRV and visitor status. A TRV is simply a stamp in your passport allowing you to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. When you got to a POE, CBSA granted you visited status. You then applied to extend that visitor status, NOT your TRV. The letter you received stating "does not authorize re-entry" is for your visitor extension, NOT your TRV.

You have not actually given any information about your TRV. Is the stamp on your passport still valid?

Reactions: bellaluna