+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Partner: How Much is Too Much

usperson1

Oct 29, 2023
My partner is in Canada and I am in the US. I would like to visit them on a regular basis. My current thought about what a normal trip would be is to come to Canada Friday night, and leave Monday morning. I'm wondering if doing this every week, or nearly every week would be an issue. I have heard people say that as long as you spend more time outside of Canada than inside, you're probably good, which makes this situation depend on how exactly they count that. If they count by actual time, then I'd only be in Canada for 2 and a bit days each week (good), but if they just look at the days, that would be Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday - 4 days each week (bad). I'm hoping some of you will have been in a similar situation and can share what you did and what your experiences were, thanks.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
My partner is in Canada and I am in the US. I would like to visit them on a regular basis. My current thought about what a normal trip would be is to come to Canada Friday night, and leave Monday morning. I'm wondering if doing this every week, or nearly every week would be an issue. I have heard people say that as long as you spend more time outside of Canada than inside, you're probably good, which makes this situation depend on how exactly they count that. If they count by actual time, then I'd only be in Canada for 2 and a bit days each week (good), but if they just look at the days, that would be Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday - 4 days each week (bad). I'm hoping some of you will have been in a similar situation and can share what you did and what your experiences were, thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem. They will probably ask what you are doing coming so often, just tell the truth.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as you have ties to the US like a job in the US and a home in the US then that should be fine.