AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 4-6-2015 or earlier
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
I will be flying from USA to Kitchener, Ontario in a week to stay with my spouse for 2 weeks. This is the first time I will say at the Canadian immigration that I am visiting my "husband" (instead of my "boyfriend". We got married 2 months ago in USA.). Will they worry that I will be overstaying my visit? (I read some places that they might interrogate me?) I have a return ticket (I have to be back to work at the beginning of the year.). Do I need to show anything else? We are in the process of applying for spousal sponsorship, but we will not send off the doc's until we sit together, and review all documents to finalize, so I cannot show any evidence saying we have applied for spousal sponsorship yet.

Any comment would be greatly appreciated!

Dabasv

Dec 15, 2014
OntarioBound said:
I will be flying from USA to Kitchener, Ontario in a week to stay with my spouse for 2 weeks. This is the first time I will say at the Canadian immigration that I am visiting my "husband" (instead of my "boyfriend". We got married 2 months ago in USA.). Will they worry that I will be overstaying my visit? (I read some places that they might interrogate me?) I have a return ticket (I have to be back to work at the beginning of the year.). Do I need to show anything else? We are in the process of applying for spousal sponsorship, but we will not send off the doc's until we sit together, and review all documents to finalize, so I cannot show any evidence saying we have applied for spousal sponsorship yet.

I will be in the same condition soon but I would b travelling from India n will stay fr couple of months.. I'm hoping with yr query even I get some answers... Fingers crossed!!!
Sorry I couldn't help u though:(

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Its a very small local airport . My husband just came on Friday . I wouldn't worry at all . You have a return ticket . I personally think that's the most important piece of documentation you can have. He also told them he was visiting his wife.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
OntarioBound said:

of course no one can say for SURE what will happen. based on experience, no they probably are not going to give you a problem if you have a return ticket. i would recommend bringing 3-4 recent paychecks to prove you have a current job, and/or a lease agreement to prove you have your own place in the states. it may not even come up, it's just good practice to carry these items to avoid issues and concerns about your ties.

IF the topic of PR comes up (don't offer the information unless asked), then show them the paperwork you do have. they are quite happy to see you are doing the legwork, and probably won't even look through it. if they see a stack of immigration papers, they will assume you know the rules. if you can pay the fees (or at least the sponsor's fee) before your trip, do that as well and keep the receipt with your paperwork. that shows more of a commitment to applying, and again, that will make them happy.

don't worry about it. some people do get "interrigated", some don't. don't freak out if they ask you into secondary. it doesn't mean anything is "wrong", it just means they want to have a longer conversation with you about everything. remain calm, and only answer what is asked. don't elaborate. you'll be just fine.

spaceexp

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
received by CIC 12-03-2014
AOR Received.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-11-2014 (IP 18-11-2014, mailed 03-12-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2014 , then again 13-02-2015 (DM 03-01-2015, PP&CoPR received 06-01-2015, returned to Ottawa because of a mistake, received again on 16-02-2015)
LANDED..........
16-02-2015
OntarioBound said:

I know I brought my vacation approval, too, if you have one. Thought it's good to show when I had to return to work. You don't have to have such thing, but it's one of those things that can show you intend to return back home :D

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

I already printed my most recent paycheck information. Although I have no use for them, I will definitely print out some of the immigration forms so I can show them, as well as the medical exam report (which cost me $500+, so that's gotta tell them I am serious about moving to Canada the official way.). Vacation letters are not common here, plus I am not taking but 2 days off from work for my 2 weeks off (we have a company shutdown during the holidays), so I will just have to rely on my return ticket itinerary, a stack of immigration documents, and a copy of my most recent paycheck.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :)

spaceexp

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
received by CIC 12-03-2014
AOR Received.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-11-2014 (IP 18-11-2014, mailed 03-12-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2014 , then again 13-02-2015 (DM 03-01-2015, PP&CoPR received 06-01-2015, returned to Ottawa because of a mistake, received again on 16-02-2015)
LANDED..........
16-02-2015
OntarioBound said:
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

I already printed my most recent paycheck information. Although I have no use for them, I will definitely print out some of the immigration forms so I can show them, as well as the medical exam report (which cost me $500+, so that's gotta tell them I am serious about moving to Canada the official way.). Vacation letters are not common here, plus I am not taking but 2 days off from work for my 2 weeks off (we have a company shutdown during the holidays), so I will just have to rely on my return ticket itinerary, a stack of immigration documents, and a copy of my most recent paycheck.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :)
I am pretty sure you will be OK (although noone can tell for sure). It will probably be like it happened to me - I was panicking throughout my 15h journey, and the officer just said - you are visiting your husband? and stamped my passport. Didn't even ask for anything else. Good luck!

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
BabyGund said:
Can you keep us posted on how it went? ;D

Thanks!
Sure thing!

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
Hi,

Here is an update. I ended up going through the immigration at Toronto Airport since I missed my connecting flight from Chicago to Kitchener due to a delay. I have a feeling Kitchener immigration would have asked more questions (they always seem to) - The immigration at Toronto was so quick.
Where are you coming from?
How long are you staying?
Business or pleasure?

After answering these questions, he just said "Welcome to Canada" and that was it.

I didn't have to explain to him what the "pleasure" was!

If anybody has gone through a small airport with the purpose of visiting a spouse, please let me know how it went.

Thank you!

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
OntarioBound said:
Hi,

Here is an update. I ended up going through the immigration at Toronto Airport since I missed my connecting flight from Chicago to Kitchener due to a delay. I have a feeling Kitchener immigration would have asked more questions (they always seem to) - The immigration at Toronto was so quick.
Business or pleasure?

After answering these questions, he just said "Welcome to Canada" and that was it.

If anybody has gone through a small airport with the purpose of visiting a spouse, please let me know how it went.

Thank you!
I had been in Kitchener this past July for 3 weeks (landed at Pearson), went for an IT strategy course in Chicago for 2 weeks, then flew back to the Kitchener Airport and stayed there for 2 days before flying back to Sweden.

I am not a spouse, but the time I left in February for Sweden I did not have time to hand in my visitor permit so I thought that would bite me in the A and brought tons of proof of my ties to Sweden.

Both times, Pearson and the tiny airport in Kitchener, all I said was I was visiting my partner and they asked how long and let me in. No issues.

So, I havent seen a difference between a large and a small airport. I just didnt act nervous and I used the word "visiting".

No prob.

I dont see why spouse would be different.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
OntarioBound said:
(I have to be back to work at the beginning of the year.)
You can also bring a job letter showing you are employed in the US. That is definitely a big tie to US.

Though really they probably won't ask for anything. Just bring if you want to be overly-prepared.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
OntarioBound said:
Hi,

Business or pleasure?

Thank you!
Yup, this sounds about like what my wife experienced when she visited me before she landed (and also through YYZ).

BabyGund

Dec 19, 2013
Florida
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes that's pretty much how it's been when I fly to Pearson or even if I fly to Buffalo and rent a car to drive over.

Nice to know they stay consistent