+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Canada to pick up items left behind

magneva

Sep 18, 2016
Hello everyone,

I went to Canada as a student and then applied for PR. Unfortunately things went bad in my country so I also applied for refugee claim. After 4 years, things got better in my country and I withdrew my refugee claim. Once I did that, cic in Ottawa that was processing my PR application told me that they were now ready to give me a visa. I went back to my country and left a few things of mine at my friend's house in Quebec city. I would pick them up once i get back to Canada.

But once I got to my country, i got a US green card and i decided to move to the US instead. Hence I withdrew my PR application. Now I have my US green card and I want to come to Canada and pick up my stuff and see some friends. I was told that US green card holders don't need a visa to come to Canada (regardless of their country of origin), they just need to apply for eTA (or something like that), have their passport and their green card with them. However I'm scared that they will not let me come since I applied for refugee claim and PR.

When I left Canada, I did not get a deportation order, I got a removal order which they told me allows me to come back without a written permission or something like that. All of this happened less than 3 months ago (the moving out of Canada and and going to the US).

From all your experiences, do you guys think that they will allow me come to Canada and pick up my stuff? I don't work yet, should I wait till I'm more settled here first and maybe try to go during the holidays? Or will they count what I did against me? Or do I have to wait till I'm a US citizen? I really want to see my friends and pick up my stuff before then though...

Please help

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So based on your other post seems you have not given up on Canada PR then ?http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/time-spent-in-quebec-t452538.0.html;msg5457371#msg5457371

With your removal order did you get a verified departure within the time required ?

magneva

Sep 18, 2016
I posted that question because my sister who was with me in Canada also made a refugee claim and she had to withdraw it at the same time as I did. She wants to apply for Canadian PR now. She, unlike me, did not apply for Canadian PR while in Canada and she did not get a US green card either. Before leaving Canada, we were told that from now on, she could only apply for a Permanent visa for Canada even though we left within the 30 day limit. I asked that question because she has only spent time in quebec as a refugee claimant though she came to Canada as a student but in BC.

Yes we got a verified departure.