+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Extension Processing Time

deecajun

Jun 19, 2011
thank you.. could you tell me what PR means on this forum?

I could drop my application off in person if I could apply inside Canada for the extension. Is it possible to do this?

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
PR is Permanent residence.

I don't know if you can drop it off in person or not. I know it goes to someplace outside of Edmonton, Alberta called Vegreville Anyway. If you are close enough to get there I don't see why you couldn't, but I don't know for sure. You might want to call and ask.

Also, it's VERY important that they GET the application BEFORE your current status expires. So you need to figure out what you're going to do very soon.

Good luck

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/05/2011 (Refiled due to IO mistake)
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
I'm applying for an extension right now. Was planning on doing it online but after reading this I think I should mail it.

I have some questions that hopefully somebody can help me with. So we applied for my PR back in Feb, outland and common-law if that makes a difference, and have been approved by Mississauga and Quebec and the application is now in London with the medicals, so hopefully it should take too long more! My visitor visa runs out July 25th so i plan on getting it mailed by June 25th at the latest.

The part I am concerned about is the financial support. Having been here 5 months not being able to work and being supported by savings and my partner funds are kind of low. I have about 2000CAD in my Irish bank account. My partner works and we live with her mother so we don't have to pay any rent. Can I send a print out of my online Irish banking account showing my balance along with a bank statement from my partner showing groceries being paid and a letter saying she is willing to support me. We also plan on sending of course our receipt for pr application fees.

Hopefully(fingers triple crossed) I get a passport request before we hear back from them but I would rather submit the right things that will get it approved just in case. Thanks so much!

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
London is one of the quicker application processors, if you mail in your application, you will almost definitely hear from London first. I would be willing to bet you would hear from London first even if you did an online application (but better safe than sorry).

As for your funds, I think that that would be fine. In the end it isn't really going to matter because you will likely have a decision on your PR before, but I think you will be fine. When *I* did the extension we put in a bank statement with my application and I had, I think, 500 Canadian. I got a decision on my PR before I got a decision on my extension, though, so as to whether or not it was actually enough I couldn't say. 2k is enough to live off of for a few months at least if you're not paying rent. I would make sure that you put that in your application, that you don't have to pay rent.

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Iamrobot85 said:
London is one of the quicker application processors, if you mail in your application, you will almost definitely hear from London first. I would be willing to bet you would hear from London first even if you did an online application (but better safe than sorry).

As for your funds, I think that that would be fine. In the end it isn't really going to matter because you will likely have a decision on your PR before, but I think you will be fine. When *I* did the extension we put in a bank statement with my application and I had, I think, 500 Canadian. I got a decision on my PR before I got a decision on my extension, though, so as to whether or not it was actually enough I couldn't say. 2k is enough to live off of for a few months at least if you're not paying rent. I would make sure that you put that in your application, that you don't have to pay rent.
Thanks for that, helps a lot and makes me relax a bit more.

A few things in the application forms which someone may be familiar with:

- Client ID - I assume this is the same ID as the one I have when using ECAS and which was mentioned in correspondence with CIC Mississauga?

- The question which asks when you want to extend your extension until... Since I don't really know the date not sure what to put, what have others put for this?

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
I left my client ID blank but I think if you put in the once from CIC it will be fine.

I put mine for six months, that's how long you get, usually, when you cross the border. So, that's a pretty safe bet.

deecajun

Jun 19, 2011
I cannot find anywhere where you are legally allowed to stay in canada while waiting for a Visitor Record extension is being processed.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to make a decision tomorrow after I call to see if I can drop off my application.

My visitor status will expire in a few days and I am scared to death I wont be let back in because I screwed up the rules.

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
deecajun, it's called "implied status"

Essentially, when you submit an application they assume they will approve you (even though there's a good chance they will not). But, they assume they will so until they say otherwise, you have IMPLIED status.

Note: If you leave Canada with implied status, you automatically lose it.

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Sorry to bring this up again, few questions to add to my previous ones.

- Is it necessary to list my common-law partner's details in the "My Family Member's" or do I have to fill Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409]. She is a Canadian citizen obviously I don't think she needs to be listed?

- Should you ask for 6 months or for the year? Hopefully the PR application will be done in the next few months but wouldn't it be better to ask for the year extension, or maybe there is a higher burden of proof with that.

- Does partner have to write a letter saying she is helping to support me even if I am saying I have $2000CAD

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
I would ask for six months if I were you, when I did the same thing, I asked for six months from the time my visa would have expired.

As for your partner supporting you, I don't know. It wouldn't hurt but if she does do that, you should also include bank statements from her to show that she actually can support you.

As for her details and whether you list her in family members, I don't know. I would say mostly that it doesn't matter too much because you will almost definitely have PR status before the visitor extension people even look at your application. And even not, I'm sure they won't split hairs over such a minor detail. I think the most that would happen is they would send it to your local immigration office and you would have to come in and clarify before they approve you.

lemony_20

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/11/10
Doc's Request.
13/09/11
AOR Received.
AIP 22/9/2011
Med's Done....
23/06/11
Interview........
TBA
LANDED..........
...waiting...
I sent in my request to extend my stay as a visitor on November 23rd, 2010.
They contacted me in February for additional docs, and I received my extension on March 27th. I was granted one year from the date of issue.
During the wait, my "6 months from time of entry" expired, but I was under implied status.

No1lucky

Jun 30, 2011
Please give me some advices. I came to Canada by worker visa (live in caregiver program) I got work permitt and my work permitt and visa will be expired on 22 Aug 2011 but I was married with Canadian guy and we sent Pr application from to CIC at Feb 2011 and sponsor approved at March, I applied for extend my stay from worker status visa changes to visitor at 13 June 2011 by online and now still waiting for CIC open my case.
- I would like to know in my case will CIC approve my extend my stay? the document I was submitting online are my passport and sponsor approved from CIC ( that only 2 document can attached by online).
- In case CIC won't have opened my case yet till the expire date in my passport, Can I still live in Canada?

Thank you so much

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
1. We can't say if they will approve it or not approve it, but there is a big chance that they will. If you are doing an in-Canada application, it is almost certain, but even with an external application, you will probably be approved if everything else is good.

2. As long as you have sent the application, you are allowed to stay in Canada until you receive an answer. It is "implied" that you can remain until they tell you yes or no.

I hope that your passport is not expiring (just your visa), because an expired passport would be an additional problem.

likathy

Nov 10, 2011
hi,

and what if the status is expired before the application is finalized?? according to my case, i have less than 30 days to wait for the processing of my application?? should i remain my stay and apply for restoration or leave Canada during the processing?