+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Value of Co op programs for international students in Canada .

jaspriet

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Hi
I am planning to study a Post Graduate course of 2 years in Canada in Business Management or Hospitality or Tourism Management. I want to know that

is it a good idea to join a co op program because I want to join " Business Management (International Intake) " or " Hospitality Management (International Intake) " at

Lambton College and fees of one Co op semester is just $198 and total 2 year fees is around $18500 .

Please suggest me if I should choose a Co op program or not.

rahulchd

May 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 May 2012
AOR Received.
14 Aug 2012
File Transfer...
20 Aug 2012
Interview........
Telephonic Interview 10 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
11 Sep 2012, Passport recd by New Delhi on 17 Sep 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process: 11 Oct 2012, Decision Made: 30 November 2012
LANDED..........
10 Dec 2012, Destination: Edmonton, Alberta
jaspriet said:
Hi
I am planning to study a Post Graduate course of 2 years in Canada in Business Management or Hospitality or Tourism Management. I want to know that

is it a good idea to join a co op program because I want to join " Business Management (International Intake) " or " Hospitality Management (International Intake) " at

Lambton College and fees of one Co op semester is just $198 and total 2 year fees is around $18500 .

Co-op job is one of the best option while pursuing a degree. Once gets real professional experience for Resume after completing the degree. But the main point comes is It's not a piece of cake to get a Co-op job whether or not you are eligible. It is highly competetive between the students as the same co-op job is open to different universities. Be ready to compete with citizenship status i.e citizens, Prs, international students first then with the applicants profile in terms of education, background etc etc. Hope it helps.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
also remember co-op only helps you get the experience...you might also get an unpaid co-op which is usually the case with the programs you have mentioned...

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaspriet said:
Hi

i always recommend getting into a program with a co-op option for a variety of reasons:
1. it helps you get "canadian" work experience
2. It helps you get work experience in your area of study
3. paid co-ops can help you with finances
4. if you are a good employee, co-op employers will usually hire you as a permanent employee after graduation

Also, if co-op is a mandatory part of the program, it extends your education time. so a 2 year program will take a couple of extra semesters to complete because of co-op. also, you cannot graduate untill you have finished your co-op part of the program.

Getting a co-op job is very much like getting any other job, you have to prepare a good resume etc and go through interviews. although ,its intimidating but its good practice for post-grad job hunting. Also, expectations are a lot less in co-op job interviews. Professionalism is the key.

Getting a co-op job will depend on your school to some extent. you only have access to the job listings that are advertised through your school. some schools have a very good co-op program, some don't. It will also depend on your program and the labour market situation.

as far as competing with other students, thats just part of the game. although i dont think being a citizen or not is big factor (unless the job advertises which is usually the case in jobs that have anything to do with government data).

Also, sometimes you can look for co-ops on your own (not advertised through your school) if you can get the employer and the school to agree for that.

jaspriet

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Thanku very much for the replies .

As you people said Co op programs have many advantages but there is difficulty in finding employer and there are chances of unpaid co op so i ll not go for co op program.

Please can any one suggest some 2 year Post Graduate business management or hospitality management courses in Canada with low low fees

parminder_gill

Jun 2, 2012
I would suggest you to take up co-op program....It will be helpful in finding u a job once u graduate....i would suggest u to read the advice by just_do_it once again :)

raunaq123

Mar 17, 2013
searching current/past students profile on linkedin of your college/university might help as to where they landed for co-op.

and agree with @parminder_gill - do read posts by just_do_it , very inspiring!