+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid Post Graduate Work Permit but visa expired long time ago. Please help:(

ecem10

Jul 20, 2016
Hello,

Thank you for looking into my post. I would like to ask if you know what type of visa I should be applying..I tried to learn this from many institutions, no one seems to know the answer. I am very stressed about finding an answer..

I have graduated from UBC in May 2014, and have obtained post graduate work permit while I was in Canada which is valid until July 2017 - meaning that I have a valid work permit.
In July 2014, I have left Canada and started working in my home country, as a family member passed away and I had to stay for support. Meanwhile my student visa expired and I haven't renewed/applied for Canadian visa.
Now I want to go back, look for a job and stay if I can find any. What visa should I apply for?

In the website, when I select "work" for purpose of visit, the system says I am not eligible to apply. When I say work" for purpose of visit and select "I recently graduated from a canadian institution etc.", it directs me to extend my stay application. (Though it uses this as main application, it makes you fill the normal TRV application as supporting document, too)

I haven't chosen "visit" option, as I don't think they would give me a visa longer than 6 months for "visit" purposes.

What should I do, which option should I be applying to?

I thought selecting "work" and "recently graduated from a Canadian institution" option made sense, especially since it asks for a normal trv application as supporting document.But how "recent" is 2 years.. I don't know I am so confused. And if I only select "work" for purpose of visit and say no to the other question, it says I am not eligible..

Please please help me I am very confused and need help..

Thank you very much in advance..

Islanders

Star Member
Nov 15, 2015
Why don't you apply to canadian embassy in your home country? You will have interview to explain your situation, so there is possibility to get visa

ecem10

Jul 20, 2016
Dear Islander,

Thank you for your reply. I can't apply to Canadian Embassy without knowing which visa to apply for. I tried to reach the embassy to ask but they don't offer phone services. That is why I had to write here as the last source...

Islanders

Star Member
Nov 15, 2015
ecem10 said:
Dear Islander,

Thank you for your reply. I can't apply to Canadian Embassy without knowing which visa to apply for. I tried to reach the embassy to ask but they don't offer phone services. That is why I had to write here as the last source...
Then apply for tourist visa so you can enter Canada. since you have your work permit already, then you can look for a job in canada. Good luck

Islanders

Star Member
Nov 15, 2015
Islanders said:
Then apply for tourist visa so you can enter Canada. since you have your work permit already, then you can look for a job in canada. Good luck
Apply for multiple entry tourist visa which usually they give five years

Tonia24

Mar 14, 2018
Hey, how did you do it eventually? I'm currently in your shoes and need to go back but my visa is expired.I have a valid pgwp.Thanks

Reactions: Samran04

Samran04

May 10, 2018
Yes me too as in the supporting documents checklist it says to apply for a trv in the returning worker category but we dont have a job there. I am in india currently and the high commission for canada does not entertain any queries. They are sending me the same mail apply for trv instructions.

Samran04

May 10, 2018
Hey, how did you do it eventually? I'm currently in your shoes and need to go back but my visa is expired.I have a valid pgwp.Thanks
Have you talked with cic on phone ? I am going to try to do that as I remember when I was in canada cic did give advice over the phone.

Tonia24

Mar 14, 2018
I have applied and my visa has been approved (in 18 days). I applied for trv outside canada.Forms IMM5256 and IMM5456. I attached every other necessary documents requested to avoid any issues including my certificate with which I was granted a PGWP.Let me know if you have any other questions, I am willing to help

Tonia24

Mar 14, 2018
Choose visit as purpose of trv then on the form choose returning worker.
When asked how long fill in the date your work permit expires.

Samran04

May 10, 2018
I have applied and my visa has been approved (in 18 days). I applied for trv outside canada.Forms IMM5256 and IMM5456. I attached every other necessary documents requested to avoid any issues including my certificate with which I was granted a PGWP.Let me know if you have any other questions, I am willing to help
Thanks alot really appreciate that. So you dont need to prove you have an ongoing employment in canada as a returning worker with pgwp but no job ? As the support document list specifically said a letter stating date of hire salary position name and address of employer to be provided.

Tonia24

Mar 14, 2018
No you do not have to prove that you have a job in Canada but in that case you would have to show a proof of financial support (statement of account).
Can't remember seeing any support like that.
I showed that I have beenough working in my home country-letter of employment and payslips