+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid COPR, PR card issued errors twice

Toulousaine31

May 12, 2024
hello everyone,
I landed in Toronto in January 2023 with a Valid COPR then went back to my country. A PR card was issued and there was a mistake on it ( citizenship, I was born in another country than my country of citizenship and I have dual citizenship).
My COPR is Valid and has valid informations about the citizenship the passport we have chosen during the whole procedure.
My husband is in the exact same situation and had no prob in his PR card.
Funny thing is that I was able to get back to Canada few months later with that PR card and my passport and without knowing about the mistake and I wasn’t asked anything.
I asked IRCC to replace my PR card ( I did realize their mistake unfortunately 60 days after the first PR was issued).
They did after 6 months but there is still the same mistake on it.
I send them a second inquiry for correction with the right form, copy of my passport and valid COPR and I’m still waiting for their response…
Who I should contact if they don’t understand and correct their mistake?
I was lucky the first time to be able to fly, but not sure they will allow me to do so next time.
I can not use the passport of my country of birth, because it has not the second name I have chosen for myself after getting a European citizenship and it’s not the passport we used for the procedure.
IRCC has all these information of course and all of this had happened before even applying to express entry…
TIA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Who I should contact if they don’t understand and correct their mistake?
I was lucky the first time to be able to fly, but not sure they will allow me to do so next time.
I can not use the passport of my country of birth, because it has not the second name I have chosen for myself after getting a European citizenship and it’s not the passport we used for the procedure.
IRCC doesn't care if you have more than one citizenship and there's no need to change this at all; so from their perspective it may be you that doesn't understand.

It does not matter that the citizenship / nationality on the card does not match the passport showing.

I don't understand your name issue, but again - irrelevant as long as they can identify you with the PR card and you can get on a plane. If you have an issue at the airport you're departing from, show the other passport (or a photocopy of it) so they can identify that you-with-passport-A, you-with-passport-B and you-the-PR are all the same people. You're not 'using' that other passport to enter Canada, you're using your PR card.

As demonstrated by this experience:
Funny thing is that I was able to get back to Canada few months later with that PR card and my passport and without knowing about the mistake and I wasn’t asked anything.

Reactions: YVR123

Toulousaine31

May 12, 2024
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This is what I actually supposed but when I called them they themselved said that the informations that are on my passport , should be exactly the same on the PR card ( name date of birth and citizenship) which is not the case right now …

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This is what I actually supposed but when I called them they themselved said that the informations that are on my passport , should be exactly the same on the PR card ( name date of birth and citizenship) which is not the case right now …
But you do have the other passport for which citizenship is indicated? If so - no error.

Or phrased differently - what is the error? Not clear to me.

Toulousaine31

May 12, 2024
My apologies since I’m not an English native speaker, I don’t have any other passeport, I have a dual citizenship because I was born somewhere else, the only passport I do have now and use is the one I have used during the entry express process, the one that is also indicated in my valid COPR.
my husband is the same exact situation. He had no issue with his PR cad even though he had a dual citizenship …

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My apologies since I’m not an English native speaker, I don’t have any other passeport, I have a dual citizenship because I was born somewhere else, the only passport I do have now and use is the one I have used during the entry express process, the one that is also indicated in my valid COPR.
my husband is the same exact situation. He had no issue with his PR cad even though he had a dual citizenship …
Well, do you have the old passport (even expired)? A photocopy of it? (Why not get it?)

Anyway, point being: you are perfectly fine having the PR card say the other nationality and using your 'main' (current) nationality's passport to enter Canada. Passport control here does not care (they almost certainly have notes to effect of your new passport/citizenship).

The only wrinkle is if you can't get on a plane, which is not about the nationality but the name. If there is in fact a mismatch (between main passport and PR card), which I don't quite understand from your posts above. So could you clarify that?

Toulousaine31

May 12, 2024
Well, do you have the old passport (even expired)? A photocopy of it? (Why not get it?)

Anyway, point being: you are perfectly fine having the PR card say the other nationality and using your 'main' (current) nationality's passport to enter Canada. Passport control here does not care (they almost certainly have notes to effect of your new passport/citizenship).

The only wrinkle is if you can't get on a plane, which is not about the nationality but the name. If there is in fact a mismatch (between main passport and PR card), which I don't quite understand from your posts above. So could you clarify that?
I’ll try to clarifiy it
My country of birth only knows me by one first name. My old ID/ and old passeport of that country only goes by one first name.
When I got the citizenship of the second country, (the one I have used for the express entry process)they allowed me to have a middle name.
My valid COPR, is based on the passport I have used for the express entry process and therefore contains both first and middle name
I don’t know if I made it easier to understand
When I called Ircc they told me that this mistake should be corrected by their services because the PR Card, the COPR the passport should have the same exact informations.

and when I did send them all the forms the they have ask for the first time, they still did not make that correction

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’ll try to clarifiy it
My country of birth only knows me by one first name. My old ID/ and old passeport of that country only goes by one first name.
When I got the citizenship of the second country, (the one I have used for the express entry process)they allowed me to have a middle name.
My valid COPR, is based on the passport I have used for the express entry process and therefore contains both first and middle name
I don’t know if I made it easier to understand
When I called Ircc they told me that this mistake should be corrected by their services because the PR Card, the COPR the passport should have the same exact informations.

and when I did send them all the forms the they have ask for the first time, they still did not make that correction
That does make things more clear. And helps me understand - because an outright error (like first name John instead of Robert) could be an issue, but a missing middle name is going to be looked at differently than an outright error.

If you mean all that is missing is the second given name (middle name) but all other info is correct, I don't think there's an issue. Almost all institutions in canada anyway increasingly ignore the middle names / leave them off unless specifically requested.

I've noticed in some cases they leave middle names off without even being asked, for example. And don't treat absence of middle name as meaning a not-matched ID.

And so they may simply not understand if their (institutional) standard is to leave middle names off.

That said, I am not the international cloud of institutions you will interact with and can't guarantee you won't ever have an issue. I just doubt it.

And of course if you have a strong preference, that's your right and go ahead and change it - just be aware that it's probably not an urgent matter.