+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VAC fees and passport mailing address

sophie2014

May 10, 2014
Hi all,

I applied online for visitor visa and just got notified on April 9, 2014 that a decision has been made on my application for temporary residence visa and my original passport was requested. Does that mean visa is approved? Now I Have questions about where should I mail my passport and what should I include in the mail.

I checked the mailing address from the websie, somehow it pointed me to the following address. So I sent my passport, the passport request letter from CIC, my contact information as well as a pre-paid U.S. Express mail envelop to the address below.

Canadian Consulate General
Immigration Section
550 S Hope St, Los Angeles, CA 90071

However, my passport was mailed back with my prepaid envelop with a letter from CIC saying that I should send them to VAC instead

Canadian Visa Application Centre – Los Angeles
2100 E. Grand Avenue
El Segundo, CA 90245 U.S.A.

It's really confusing! Did I see wrong address or it was changed recently? do I have to submit my passport through VAC and be forced to pay VAC fees?

It said on CIC website that I should include 'Any applicable VAC fees, such as passport transmission fees'. I was never informed of any transmission fee when I applied, so do I need to pay this fee? And how much should I pay to VAC just submit my visa to Consulate for a visa stamp?

It's really a complicated process for a visitor visa and I just want to make sure I should send needed stuff to the right address.

One more related question is: May I mailed the passport with required letter and fees to VAC center but pick up the passport in person?

Thanks.

graysw

Mar 31, 2014
i would advise you to email the NYC consulate to see if they still accept passport for stamping.

last month i sent mine to the LA consulate and they returned without stamping and asked me to mail to VAC too (but that required an extra fee).

so i email the NY consulate, and they replied me on Apr 3rd saying they still do the stamping so it only cost me about $25 for the postage to mail to them. it took them about a week or so to process my passport

sophie2014

May 10, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind reply! I'll try. Would you plz tell me NY consulate email? ALso I have a question. I live in California and applied online. May I send to New York Consulate or it belong to CA area? Thanks again.