+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using TRV after receiving eCOPR.

pulakitm21

Mar 20, 2023
Hey all, this is was my first travel after receiving eCOPR on 13th July 2023.

Recieved signed eCOPR on 13th July -> Flew out to NYC 15th July -> Returned to Toronto by Flight on 23rd July using my TRV + PGWP.

I have another important family event to attend in NYC in September, I have been told I won't be allowed entry and can only use the land border.
How accurate is this since I was able to come back the first time? P.S - My PR Card has still not shipped.

My TRV is valid still 2025 & inside my IRCC account the TRV still shows to VALID.
I have heard a lot of mixed responses, would love to get more insights.

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Recieved signed eCOPR on 13th July -> Flew out to NYC 15th July -> Returned to Toronto by Flight on 23rd July using my TRV + PGWP.

I have another important family event to attend in NYC in September, I have been told I won't be allowed entry and can only use the land border.
How accurate is this since I was able to come back the first time? P.S - My PR Card has still not shipped.

My TRV is valid still 2025 & inside my IRCC account the TRV still shows to VALID.

Thanks!
It's up to the airline, which will likely rely upon checks through computer to CBSA/IRCC - and those will likely cancel the TRV's validity in the system within some number of days after the ecopr was issued. You'll hear different guesses as to how long this might be. It would be foolish to rely upon it taking longer than 30 days or so.

If you don't care and are happy to travel to the border someways else if you're denied boarding, sure, go ahead and risk it.

Reactions: rcincanada2019

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022

Thanks!
Your eCOPR is proof that you are no longer a temporary resident but a permanent resident. Presenting yourself as a temporary resident at the border is misrepresentation, imho. But that's just me...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Your eCOPR is proof that you are no longer a temporary resident but a permanent resident. Presenting yourself as a temporary resident at the border is misrepresentation, imho. But that's just me...
It's a good point but let's make a distinction: at the port of entry, yes, you should definitely present as a PR.

But you can attempt to board a plane using your trv. Probably will be denied boarding unless shortly after becoming a PR, because the trv will eventually get cancelled.

Whether or not the airline has an issue with you showing the trv when now you are really a PR? No idea, but it's not misrepresentation to IRCC.

pulakitm21

Mar 20, 2023
It's up to the airline, which will likely rely upon checks through computer to CBSA/IRCC - and those will likely cancel the TRV's validity in the system within some number of days after the ecopr was issued. You'll hear different guesses as to how long this might be. It would be foolish to rely upon it taking longer than 30 days or so.

If you don't care and are happy to travel to the border someways else if you're denied boarding, sure, go ahead and risk it.

Thanks for clarification. It’s an important family event so I can’t cancel unfortunately.

I have been told traveling by land border will not be a problem at all through US, is that so?
If I am denied boarding, I’ll just walk the land border and come in that way with my eCOPR and Passport

Also, my GC Key Log in still shows my TRV valid, is that incorrect?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for clarification. It’s an important family event so I can’t cancel unfortunately.

I have been told traveling by land border will not be a problem at all through US, is that so?
If I am denied boarding, I’ll just walk the land border and come in that way with my eCOPR and Passport

Also, my GC Key Log in still shows my TRV valid, is that incorrect?
Yes, you won't have a problem at the land border.

If you're denied, yes, you can proceed to a land border.

I don't know whether the gckey is correct for this. I wouldn't rely on it but it's possible it reflects the current status (which could change at any time, of course).