+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US resident with Canadian citizenship status applying to University in Ontario

ang

Oct 11, 2010
My parents moved from Canada and now settle in United States 20 years ago. I was born in United States when my mother was still a Canadian citizen. She took me to Canada and obtained the Canadian citizenship card for me when I was a few months old. I have dual citizenship in US & Canada. Since we have been lived in United States and my mother now becomes an "emigrant" from Canada and has US Citizen. Currently, I am in 12th grade high school and want to study in an university in Ontario. Since my K-12 education is in United States, the university said I have to apply as a foreign student for admission. When they accept my application and I can show paper work that I am a Canadian Citizen, I can paid the tuition as a resident fee. How do I as a minor (17.5 years old) to declare as a Canadian Citizen? What are the procedures/forms and when to proceed the paper work? Will my change of status (from US Citizen to Canadian Citizen) affect my parents' income tax in Canada and i United States?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are not really changing your status from US to Canadian citizen. You are already both.

I do not know if it will affect your parents taxes if you go to Canada to study. I suppose they should ask their tax advisor about that.

What you are doing really only has to do with your university and their registration office. If they say that you must initially apply as an international student you just have to send them a copy of your citizenship card to prove that you are a Canadian citizen and that should get you the lower fees. You should also get a Canadian passport, see http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/index.aspx?lang=eng but remember that as a US citizen, you must always use your US passport when you enter the US. When you enter Canada, you can use the Canadian one.

ang

Oct 11, 2010
Thanks Leon!
I checked from the forum that if an emigrant wants to re-enter Canada to declare residency, it has to go through paper work, correct? Since I never live in Canada and my parents have not lived in Canada for the last 20 years and I don't have a permanent address in Canada , do I have to send request/fill forms to Immigration Canada to re-establish/re-apply my Canadian citizenship? So far, I don't have a Social Security Number (SSN). I think I need to apply one along with re-establish my status as Canadian citizenship. If I need to apply for re-entry, where should I send in my application or which department in the Immigration office should I call? Any advice is much appreciate. Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a citizen, you have the freedom to be outside Canada for as long as you like and come back at any time. You do not have to ask anybody. You should get your Canadian passport so you can show it when you enter Canada.

The only people who have to worry about being outside Canada too long are PR's (Permanent residents - same as the US green card).

You don't have an SSN in Canada. You have a SIN. You would need to go to Service Canada to apply for one. They will give you the number right away but you will get the SIN card in the mail in a couple of weeks time.