+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

hmks

Sep 8, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
hi, when did you submit your application? are you a us citizen? it is unusual for us outland applications at ottawa to take more than 6 mo.
I am a US citizen. I submitted my application in the fall of 2015. My husband's sponsorship of me was approved in March 2016. I submitted 4 of the 5 background checks I needed with my initial application in 2015 but the 5th required a letter from CIC to apply for the police certificate (Japan). I stated that in my cover letter in the fall of 2015 and waited. I received notice to pay and paid my final fees in October 2016 and then received an email the next week about the background check. I went to the Japanese Consulate the next day and submitted the background check via email in December 2, 2016. We have been waiting since then.

Do you think it is advisable for me to cross the border with my husband when he moves back? We will have a UHaul van and two additional vehicles. A friend is helping us as our third driver.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hmks said:
I am a US citizen. I submitted my application in the fall of 2015. My husband's sponsorship of me was approved in March 2016. I submitted 4 of the 5 background checks I needed with my initial application in 2015 but the 5th required a letter from CIC to apply for the police certificate (Japan). I stated that in my cover letter in the fall of 2015 and waited. I received notice to pay and paid my final fees in October 2016 and then received an email the next week about the background check. I went to the Japanese Consulate the next day and submitted the background check via email in December 2, 2016. We have been waiting since then.

Do you think it is advisable for me to cross the border with my husband when he moves back? We will have a UHaul van and two additional vehicles. A friend is helping us as our third driver.
it's your decision to cross or not. if you use the right language as explained above, explain your children are still in the states, and aren't in the uhaul yourself, then you'll probably be fine. no one can tell you for sure, because as already said, it is up to the cbsa officer.

have you ordered your GCMS notes recently to see what updates there were? I would also suggest having your canadian sponsor reach out to a member of parliament (MP) where he plans to move to and ask for assistance. obviously the fact they needed 5 different background checks is part of the delay.

RFisch1110

Mar 9, 2017
I am so confused and need help from someone.

I am trying to declare all my family members(sister and two half brothers). I have done so on IMM5406

On IMM 0008 it mentions clearly and sternly I must declare ALL my family members. Therefore do I declare them as dependent and fill out the more in depth information about them?

thanks so much. I need this help

yelloweyedmage

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
14-09-2016 (Police Certificate)
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
17-02-2016
Interview........
Waived, "Decision Made" on 10-02-2017
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-03-2017
I just got my CoPR in the mail today and am going to try to land this Saturday with a flagpole landing :D

My question is, what do I need to bring with me for my landing? Are there some "goods/goods to follow" related forms I can fill out in advance? And will there be an address form I can fill out when landing to have my PR card mailed to? We are going to be moving soon and I want my card mailed to family in Canada who can then forward it to me.

hmks

Sep 8, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
it's your decision to cross or not. if you use the right language as explained above, explain your children are still in the states, and aren't in the uhaul yourself, then you'll probably be fine. no one can tell you for sure, because as already said, it is up to the cbsa officer.

have you ordered your GCMS notes recently to see what updates there were? I would also suggest having your canadian sponsor reach out to a member of parliament (MP) where he plans to move to and ask for assistance. obviously the fact they needed 5 different background checks is part of the delay.
We hadn't thought to check my notes. We were hoping that after I submitted the final background check that my documents would arrive. We just checked and actually my husband cannot request them since he is not currently a resident of Canada. We could have a friend in Canada request them but as my husband's move is imminent, we will just have him request them when he gets there next week and have him contact his MP. What's the worse case scenario in this situation? If we go together to the border and they refuse to let me in as a visitor (even though I state that I am only visiting and not moving), would this negatively impact my application for PR?

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
I'm considering quitting my job and leaving my apartment and staying in Kamloops with my wife until my PR is granted. I know that there is a chance I might not get my PR in time and I can apply for a visitor visa extension and if THAT is denied, I must return to the states until my PR is approved.

Anyone think the border will have a problem with that? Any others have experience with this matter?

Thanks!

Should I also ask for a visitor record to be given to me so that I have exact dates?

awahidi

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Usa
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
App. Filed.......
11-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
File Transfer...
06-06-2017
Hello Guys, I'm new and I need your help please:
My wife is sponsoring me from USA and she is a Canadian citizen. First, on the new application it says that we have to mail the application CPC- Mississauga, P.O. Box 5040, Station B, mississauga, ontario, L5A 4N6. I got very confused since I read few post all about sending their applications to Ottawa. So please if someone can assist me it will be highly appreciated. In addition, I have taken the photo required at Walgreens and after I compared it with the actual size they put on the requirements there is some difference although the clerk chose Canadian Passport specification. Thank you in advance

TN_Hibee

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
18-11-2016
File Transfer...
25-11-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2017
csturner92 said:
I'm considering quitting my job and leaving my apartment and staying in Kamloops with my wife until my PR is granted. I know that there is a chance I might not get my PR in time and I can apply for a visitor visa extension and if THAT is denied, I must return to the states until my PR is approved.

Anyone think the border will have a problem with that? Any others have experience with this matter?

Thanks!

Should I also ask for a visitor record to be given to me so that I have exact dates?
Dual intent is totally legitimate. You just need to make clear to the border agent that you intend to leave if your pr application is refused. Things like having a return flight, maintaining a lease, not moving all your belongings, etc. can help prove your intent. If you search around on the forum you will find more (complete) advice and quite a few people who apply outland and stay with their partners in Canada.

source:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
awahidi said:
Hello Guys, I'm new and I need your help please:
My wife is sponsoring me from USA and she is a Canadian citizen. First, on the new application it says that we have to mail the application CPC- Mississauga, P.O. Box 5040, Station B, mississauga, ontario, L5A 4N6. I got very confused since I read few post all about sending their applications to Ottawa. So please if someone can assist me it will be highly appreciated. In addition, I have taken the photo required at Walgreens and after I compared it with the actual size they put on the requirements there is some difference although the clerk chose Canadian Passport specification. Thank you in advance
The application package goes to Mississauga first. They do the sponsor check there. Once your wife gets approval to sponsor you, they will send your portion of the application package to the visa office in Ottawa.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
hi everyone. I applied for US outland spousal sponsorship for my wife beginning october 2016.

Providing a brief summary of the timelines : On November 17th, I received correspondence that I am eligible to sponsor her. In Last week of December, they sent a request to my wife to provide further proof that I am a resident of Canada. So we provided phone bills, T4 forms etc etc

As of this morning, my wife received an email stating that her application is being sent to the Los Angeles office to further determine eligibility for her PR status. Do you guys know if this part of the normal process and if not, then what does it mean ?

thank you all in advance for your help

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mruhomau said:
hi everyone. I applied for US outland spousal sponsorship for my wife beginning october 2016.

Providing a brief summary of the timelines : On November 17th, I received correspondence that I am eligible to sponsor her. In Last week of December, they sent a request to my wife to provide further proof that I am a resident of Canada. So we provided phone bills, T4 forms etc etc

As of this morning, my wife received an email stating that her application is being sent to the Los Angeles office to further determine eligibility for her PR status. Do you guys know if this part of the normal process and if not, then what does it mean ?

thank you all in advance for your help
No, it's not normal to be sent to Los Angeles. Generally, getting sent to Los Angeles means either a) the applicant is not a US citizen or b) an interview may be requested. LA is where all the interviews are held for US applicants. This can also have changed with the new application, so is your wife a US citizen?

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
23/01/2017 Sent: 24/01/2017 via Xpress Post
CDNPR2014 said:
No, it's not normal to be sent to Los Angeles. Generally, getting sent to Los Angeles means either a) the applicant is not a US citizen or b) an interview may be requested. LA is where all the interviews are held for US applicants. This can also have changed with the new application, so is your wife a US citizen?
This is not typical. You can expect an interview request. I hope I am wrong as that is inconvenient. All the best.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
Yes my wife is US citizen

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mruhomau said:
Yes my wife is US citizen
are you a canadian citizen or PR? Are you currently living in Canada? Are there any red flags that may have triggered an interview? How old are both of you (sometimes younger couples get tagged for interviews - not always though)?

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
There was another one within the past month or so that mentioned having their file transferred to New York from Ottawa, which was also odd. I don't remember any follow-up on that from the OP but I could have missed it.