App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
Hello everyone. I'm still waiting on COPR out of LA. Has anyone received a COPR from LA recently? If yes, how long did it take?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Mushmash said:
Hello everyone. I'm still waiting on COPR out of LA. Has anyone received a COPR from LA recently? If yes, how long did it take?
My husband's wasn't exactly recent (Was in 2012/2013) but it took almost 3 months. And that was within the USA.

jpk

Oct 10, 2013
Hello, I applied in August 2013 and my wife (the sponsor) received our entire application back in the mail in January. She is required to move and send a new lease agreement and utility bill with a matching address. They explained everything at least and included a small checklist for her.

My question is do i as the applicant need to supply a new background check from the FBI and another upfront medical?

Seeing as they had received our application before i don't know if these are required to do over again.

I was thinking maybe i would do a new background check as that is easy and inexpensive. It will be a couple months before she can move anyway.

The medical perhaps they would just extend? Or send a request for a new one?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jpk said:
Hello, I applied in August 2013 and my wife (the sponsor) received our entire application back in the mail in January. She is required to move and send a new lease agreement and utility bill with a matching address. They explained everything at least and included a small checklist for her.
Is she a Canadian PR?

jpk said:
My question is do i as the applicant need to supply a new background check from the FBI and another upfront medical?

Seeing as they had received our application before i don't know if these are required to do over again.

I was thinking maybe i would do a new background check as that is easy and inexpensive. It will be a couple months before she can move anyway.
Then, it's worth it. If they ask you for a new one, it will delay your process (mail takes ~1 month to be processed)

jpk said:
The medical perhaps they would just extend? Or send a request for a new one?
Once you are approved, your CoPR will only be valid until the earlier of your medical expiration or your passport expiration. Your medical exam expires one year from when it was performed/started and may be extended if your application is ready to be approved within 15 months and the *only* thing missing is the expired medical. If not, they will request a new medical exam before completing the process.

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
parker24 said:
My husband's wasn't exactly recent (Was in 2012/2013) but it took almost 3 months. And that was within the USA.
Ok was this date from the time you got decision made to the day you received it in the mail?

jpk

Oct 10, 2013
Thank you OhCanadiana.

I will send a new background check and do another upfront medical so these are current.

Another question i have is with my entire application being sent back.

My wife (the sponsor) is a Canadian citizen, but was living in a place where the government pays part of the rent. They are requiring her to move and send a copy of the new lease agreement and a utility bill with a matching address. Okay this sucks, but at least we know what we must do.

Now with the entire application being sent back do we just include what they ask for on the checklist that they provided and send it back? Only the lease agreement and utility bill are on the checklist. The information on the application will be old seeing as it was originally mailed in August of 2013.
Or do we do the application like it was never sent. Update it so that it is current, including new signatures and dates?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jpk said:
Thank you OhCanadiana.

I will send a new background check and do another upfront medical so these are current.

Another question i have is with my entire application being sent back.

My wife (the sponsor) is a Canadian citizen, but was living in a place where the government pays part of the rent. They are requiring her to move and send a copy of the new lease agreement and a utility bill with a matching address. Okay this sucks, but at least we know what we must do.

Now with the entire application being sent back do we just include what they ask for on the checklist that they provided and send it back? Only the lease agreement and utility bill are on the checklist. The information on the application will be old seeing as it was originally mailed in August of 2013.
Or do we do the application like it was never sent. Update it so that it is current, including new signatures and dates?
Given that they sent the entire application back, you'll be applying from scratch. So, send the whole application back, ensuring that the application forms are current (the dates are on the bottom left hand side of each form).

jpk

Oct 10, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
Given that they sent the entire application back, you'll be applying from scratch. So, send the whole application back, ensuring that the application forms are current (the dates are on the bottom left hand side of each form).
Thank you, this is very helpful :)

jpk

Oct 10, 2013
One more question i have is about payment.

I sent Payment for everything the first time our application was sent, Sponsor $75 and both of the applicant $490 and $475.

Now the first question on the Application to Sponsor form IMM1344 is "If you are ineligible to sponsor, indicate whether you want to:
A) Withdraw your sponsorship application. All processing fees less $75 will be refunded.
or
B) Proceed with the application for permanent residence. Processing fees will be retained.

She chose option "B" to proceed with the application.
No fees were refunded to me.

Question is do we need to send the $75 again? Or because they retained the fees it isn't necessary to send it again?
I know i won't need to send the applicant portions again because they never looked at that as she was refused sponsorship.

I suppose i could just send another receipt for the $75 and just indicate on the receipts at the top why there are two and wasn't sure if the second $75 dollars was necessary.
I really don't need any more delays, receiving our entire application back was a HUGE disappointment :(

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jpk said:
One more question i have is about payment.

I sent Payment for everything the first time our application was sent, Sponsor $75 and both of the applicant $490 and $475.

Now the first question on the Application to Sponsor form IMM1344 is "If you are ineligible to sponsor, indicate whether you want to:
A) Withdraw your sponsorship application. All processing fees less $75 will be refunded.
or
B) Proceed with the application for permanent residence. Processing fees will be retained.

She chose option "B" to proceed with the application.
No fees were refunded to me.

Question is do we need to send the $75 again? Or because they retained the fees it isn't necessary to send it again?
I know i won't need to send the applicant portions again because they never looked at that as she was refused sponsorship.

I suppose i could just send another receipt for the $75 and just indicate on the receipts at the top why there are two and wasn't sure if the second $75 dollars was necessary.
I really don't need any more delays, receiving our entire application back was a HUGE disappointment :(
It depends on the details of the letter you received.

As a theoretical though exercise, based on what I know I see 2 options that could happened:
Option 1: CIC sent back the application without having processed it. In this case the $75 are still 'unused' and therefore available for when you (re)submit the application for (what in CIC's view will be) first time processing. In this case, submitting the receipt of your original payment would be sufficient since the funds are still available.

Option 2: CIC processed the application, deemed her 'ineligible to sponsor,' 'using up' the $75, and sent the application back to you for some reason (ranging from they made a mistake and didn't see option 'b' was selected to someone trying to be nice and not have you lose the principal applicant fees too). Usually, if if they had processed your application and deemed her ineligible to sponsor (assuming they noticed option 'b' was selected) they should have sent her application to the visa office for consideration (this is necessary for H&C applications to make it to the visa officer for consideration).

HOWEVER, that's all theory. In reality, if you asked me what I'd do given what I know now (without having seen the letter you got): given the uncertainty, and the stakes if they send the application back to you, I would pay the $75 again and include a letter that you paid the fees a second time around given that you didn't know if the fees were 'used up' last time and request a refund if the original funds are still available for use. This way you're sure they will have sufficient fees to cover the application but at least they won't send the application back to you (again).

Bottom line: read through the letter again and see what exactly they say about why they sent the packet to you.

jpk

Oct 10, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
It depends on the details of the letter you received.

As a theoretical though exercise, based on what I know I see 2 options that could happened:
Option 1: CIC sent back the application without having processed it. In this case the $75 are still 'unused' and therefore available for when you (re)submit the application for (what in CIC's view will be) first time processing. In this case, submitting the receipt of your original payment would be sufficient since the funds are still available.

Option 2: CIC processed the application, deemed her 'ineligible to sponsor,' 'using up' the $75, and sent the application back to you for some reason (ranging from they made a mistake and didn't see option 'b' was selected to someone trying to be nice and not have you lose the principal applicant fees too). Usually, if if they had processed your application and deemed her ineligible to sponsor (assuming they noticed option 'b' was selected) they should have sent her application to the visa office for consideration (this is necessary for H&C applications to make it to the visa officer for consideration).

HOWEVER, that's all theory. In reality, if you asked me what I'd do given what I know now (without having seen the letter you got): given the uncertainty, and the stakes if they send the application back to you, I would pay the $75 again and include a letter that you paid the fees a second time around given that you didn't know if the fees were 'used up' last time and request a refund if the original funds are still available for use. This way you're sure they will have sufficient fees to cover the application but at least they won't send the application back to you (again).

Bottom line: read through the letter again and see what exactly they say about why they sent the packet to you.
Thank you again for your reply OhCanadiana.

I will include the $75 again and a letter explaining why. I would rather overpay and get it processed versus it being sent back to me again.

You have been very helpful to my wife and I, Thank you :D

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
cute said:
Hi All,
I have couple of questions about spouse sponsorship, please clarify....

I am currently working in Canada ( PR holder, applied citizenship). I am planning to get married in March 2014 (India). My Fiance is working in USA on H1B.

My Questions:

1.I want to apply Her TRV before wedding and after wedding want to launch her PR application. So what are the chances for her to get TRV from India?
2. where does her PR application processed ? USA ( buffalo/LA) or India?
3. What are the time lines for Spouse sponsorship at Buffalo/LA office?

Thanks in advance!!!!
ram.
Pretty much that was my case, H1B visa working in Chicago, husband in Toronto. But the difference was the fact that the wedding was held in Chicago so I applied for my TRV from the US, i never had to go back home (Nigeria). My PR application steps in regards to location were;
App sent to Mississauga- Aug 2012
Transferred to Ottawa- Oct 2012
Transferred to LA- sometime around Feb 2013
Interview in LA- Jan 2014
and just yesterday was asked to mail my passport to LA

In regards to timeline, I sincerely hope no one has to wait as long as I have. My app was sent Aug 2012 so up till today that is a total of about 18 months.

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Hey! So yesterday I finally got an email saying that "You are required to submit by MAIL: a copy of this letter, your passport(s), photographs and completed height/eye color chart, your current mailing address (if different from the one shown above) within the next THIRTY (30) days from the date of this letter. ..."

First of all this is what we refer to as PPR right?

Secondly I am asked to send it to the LA office and I was wondering if anyone's situation has been like this because I would like to know how long this takes. I am not from a visa-exempt country, just in case that also matters.

I travel to Canada every 2 weeks to see my husband and I am trying to calculate the best move here. I would hate to be without my passport for a long period of time being stuck here and not able to visit him. So I guess my question is how long does it take and would it be better (or even allowed) to just move to Canada as a visitor and tell them to return my passport to our Canadian address?

Lastly what is next? after they return my passport? COPR or actual PR?