Waived
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2013
LANDED..........
26-06-2013 (DONE - thank u all)
MisterDBarton said:
Received my Police Certificate (no record) from the FBI 12/12. The processing date was 12/7, but still, I mailed it on 11/2, so I'm quite pleased with the turnaround time. 5 weeks essentially if you consider Thanksgiving (US).

EDIT: I live in Buffalo just to give you an idea of transit time.
They got mine on Dec 20,2012. Hope to get it by end of Jan 2013.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
lawgrrl said:
:eek: ACK! That would be counter-productive! Well, my husband's parents are still living, and one of his stated reasons to re-establish is to be closer to them as they age and need assistance (they're already 91 and 87!). We'll get letters from them that they are looking forward to us joining them in B.C. Ironically, it's me, the American looking to immigrate, who's doing most of the "establishing" footwork--contacting employment agencies, real estate brokers, reading Craigslist, etc. Maybe we wait until next year, when we're 62 and qualify for early Social Security, and then come to Canada as retirees. :(
Is there a way to "suspend" an application?
I am not sure what the requirements to maintain Canadian permanent residency are. For example, the US requires PRs to remain in the US 6 months out of each year (that is within the year period) not to lose their PR. I have heard that Canadian residents can remain abroad for longer periods. If that is the case, you could land in Canada after your application is approved and then go back to the US to complete your affairs.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
cempjwi said:
I am not sure what the requirements to maintain Canadian permanent residency are. For example, the US requires PRs to remain in the US 6 months out of each year (that is within the year period) not to lose their PR. I have heard that Canadian residents can remain abroad for longer periods. If that is the case, you could land in Canada after your application is approved and then go back to the US to complete your affairs.
from all that I have seen to maintain PR you need to be in Canada for 3 our of every 5 years unless your sponsor is a Canadian citizen and you live in the same house (outside of Canada) it counts the same as being in Canada. Then only think doesn't count for is if you are going for Canadian citizenship then you have to physically be in Canada.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
mameelynn said:
from all that I have seen to maintain PR you need to be in Canada for 3 our of every 5 years unless your sponsor is a Canadian citizen and you live in the same house (outside of Canada) it counts the same as being in Canada. Then only think doesn't count for is if you are going for Canadian citizenship then you have to physically be in Canada.
This is what I understand to be true as well.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mameelynn said:
730 days in the previous five year period, or if you have not been in Canada for five years, you must have enough time present in Canada plus remaining time to allow you to meet the 730 day requirement.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
lawgrrl said:
:eek: ACK! That would be counter-productive! Well, my husband's parents are still living, and one of his stated reasons to re-establish is to be closer to them as they age and need assistance (they're already 91 and 87!). We'll get letters from them that they are looking forward to us joining them in B.C. Ironically, it's me, the American looking to immigrate, who's doing most of the "establishing" footwork--contacting employment agencies, real estate brokers, reading Craigslist, etc. Maybe we wait until next year, when we're 62 and qualify for early Social Security, and then come to Canada as retirees. :(
Is there a way to "suspend" an application?
This is what CIC says:

Keeping your permanent resident status

Your permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, but there is also a time limit on how long you can live outside the country. To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

So technically, you can complete your PR process, land in Canada, leave and then come back 2 yrs later and not leave for the next 3yrs to maintain your PR status. You say that next year is your target for being a retiree so that should be ok if your application is approved some time this year.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cempjwi said:
Your permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, but there is also a time limit on how long you can live outside the country. To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

So technically, you can complete your PR process, land in Canada, leave and then come back 2 yrs later and not leave for the next 3yrs to maintain your PR status. You say that next year is your target for being a retiree so that should be ok if your application is approved some time this year.
You can leave and come back 3 years later (and I've read plenty of stories of people who have stretched that to more than 3 years, but there's a risk in doing so.)

In the OPs case, because this is a spousal case, as long as the PR is living with their spouse they're fine indefinitely. The easiest way to see this is to review IMM 5444E, the PR card renewal form. Section D, Option 1 "Absence while accompanying a family member who is a Canadian Citizen". That time counts against the residency obligation.

Ambber29

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
Hi all,

We applied through Buffalo in August 2011. It was transferred to Buffalo on Nov.01/2012.
Our interview was scheduled for June.19 and Buffalo office closed.

our MP inquired in Sep 2012, the file did n't move and again she inquired and they are not sure whether to interview him in USA office or Ottawa. I doubt it will be ottawa. I have been living in Canada since I applied. I have been visiting him every two and an half months to three months. It is been two years for my marriage and I dont think I can do this anymore. So I am deciding to go to him and live with him.

Lets say that we receive a letter in a month or two months (I doubt it I think it can be longer). Our MP said that they will give the date atleast three to four months prior. Can they ask me about my job? I have to leave everything behind. Also I am staying with my mom but she is in Canada just because I am here. She might live to my other siblings.

Can they object? even if i worked here one and an half year.

Can you please advise?

I have also another question. What If i have a baby in states? Do I have to apply for her separately?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ambber29 said:
our MP inquired in Sep 2012, the file did n't move and again she inquired and they are not sure whether to interview him in USA office or Ottawa. I doubt it will be ottawa. I have been living in Canada since I applied. I have been visiting him every two and an half months to three months. It is been two years for my marriage and I dont think I can do this anymore. So I am deciding to go to him and live with him.
Quite understandable - nobody wants to live apart from their spouse/partner for two years. That CIC expects this really is rather odious.

Ambber29 said:
Lets say that we receive a letter in a month or two months (I doubt it I think it can be longer). Our MP said that they will give the date atleast three to four months prior. Can they ask me about my job? I have to leave everything behind. Also I am staying with my mom but she is in Canada just because I am here. She might live to my other siblings.
You don't mention: are you a permanent resident of Canada or a Citizen?

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, if you stop living in Canada you are no longer eligible as a sponsor and if they find out they will terminate your sponsorship (and thus the application).
If you are a citizen of Canada, you merely need to demonstrate you have a plan to return to Canada, but you do not need to live in Canada.

Ambber29 said:
I have also another question. What If i have a baby in states? Do I have to apply for her separately?
If you are a Citizen, your child will be a Canadian citizen as well. If you are a permanent resident and your child is born outside Canada, then you would need to sponsor your child. If your existing application is still pending, you can add the baby to that application - I hear bringing children to the interview can be somewhat persuasive of the genuine nature of the relationship. ;-)

Good luck - and I am very sorry you have been caught in the nightmare that is the Buffalo closure.

Ambber29

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
computergeek said:
Quite understandable - nobody wants to live apart from their spouse/partner for two years. That CIC expects this really is rather odious.

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, if you stop living in Canada you are no longer eligible as a sponsor and if they find out they will terminate your sponsorship (and thus the application).
If you are a citizen of Canada, you merely need to demonstrate you have a plan to return to Canada, but you do not need to live in Canada.

If you are a Citizen, your child will be a Canadian citizen as well. If you are a permanent resident and your child is born outside Canada, then you would need to sponsor your child. If your existing application is still pending, you can add the baby to that application - I hear bringing children to the interview can be somewhat persuasive of the genuine nature of the relationship. ;-)

Good luck - and I am very sorry you have been caught in the nightmare that is the Buffalo closure.
I am Canadian Citizen. I dont have baby. I meant if we plan a baby, do we have to file separate application.
I came to Canada 12 years ago and I was my mom's dependant at that time. Does it matter for kids citizenship if they are born outside?

Ambber29

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
computergeek said:

What ties can I show to prove?
Does my mom will have to stay in Canada for me? or she can go to my other siblings in different country?
Keeping a bank account over $ 20,000 is enough?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ambber29 said:
I am Canadian Citizen. I dont have baby. I meant if we plan a baby, do we have to file separate application.
I came to Canada 12 years ago and I was my mom's dependant at that time. Does it matter for kids citizenship if they are born outside?
When your child is born, no matter where in the world she or he is born, your child will be a Canadian citizen. That doesn't mean you won't have to do paperwork, but you won't have to sponsor your child.

Citizenship is bestowed upon first generation children born outside Canada. That means that someone born in Canada or naturalized in Canada (your case) passes their citizenship on to their children.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ambber29 said:
What ties can I show to prove?
Does my mom will have to stay in Canada for me? or she can go to my other siblings in different country?
Keeping a bank account over $ 20,000 is enough?
You don't need to show any ties as a citizen. All you need to do (if asked at this point) is to present a plan for moving back to Canada after your spouse/partner's PR is granted.

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
cempjwi said:
Evidence of sponsor's plans to re-establish in Canada is the most disheartening requirement from CIC.
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. The inquiry from CIC about my husband's "plans to re-establish in Canada" got him motivated to start making connections to start a business. He's found a web host in Canada, reserved a ".ca" website, and is generating all kinds of leads (via emails that we'll print) to set up a distributorship that will go "live" once we move. We hope all that, plus a letter from his folks once they get home from their 14-day cruise (me? jealous?), will do the trick.

We'll keep you posted--please think positive thoughts! ;)

Line

Star Member
Oct 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
AOR Received.
sponsorship approved november 8, 2012
Med's Done....
15-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
never requested
VISA ISSUED...
March 28,2013
LANDED..........
April 14, 2013
Hi everyone, I am sponsoring my common-law husband from the us. I have finally received my divorce certificate from my ex husband. It was a long battle but it is done now :p. Do I need to notify CIC? If so, can i just send a copy of it via e-mail to CPP-Ottawa? Thank you.