Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
chala said:
Maybe you can try doing it yourself online on the H & R Block website for a small fee. (there is even a no charge version for simple returns). I have done this the last 2 years without any issues. It was fairly straight forward .
You have done your US tax returns while living / working in Canada by yourself?

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
chala said:
Maybe you can try doing it yourself online on the H & R Block website for a small fee. (there is even a no charge version for simple returns). I have done this the last 2 years without any issues. It was fairly straight forward .
We did that last year for his US tax return (he was a visitor in Canada so didn't need to file in Canada). Can you also do that for a US citizen working in Canada and have it filed in both Canada and the US?

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
MizAngel said:
We did that last year for his US tax return (he was a visitor in Canada so didn't need to file in Canada). Can you also do that for a US citizen working in Canada and have it filed in both Canada and the US?
You can prepare your Canadian return on one of the many online services ( eg www.taxchopper.ca) and the USA return on the H & R Block US website

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
Mariac819 said:
You have done your US tax returns while living / working in Canada by yourself?
I filed my USA tax return while living here in Canada even though I did not work in Canada since I am here as a visitor only. The IRS requires that you file a return whether you work or not.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
scubadive1 said:
Thank you Maria and RhCohan for your responses. I have been working the past few days and I am just getting back on line.
Confused? Well that it is a way to look at it. I was a little south of sarcastic also. What a quagmire. I spent about 4 hours earlier in the morning that day reading various threads. I learned alot from your responses. I will continue to do homework.

I am trying to develop a plan. So I have a couple of thoughts today.

The first is the U.S. 6 month Visa. On what basis will 6 months of time be granted (i.e. give me a few examples of typical reasons for a 6 month visitor visa request). Can I process this 6 month visa request today, prior to going to the border to assure I get 6 months. Lately I have traveled in by car for 10 days or so, and no stamp was placed in my passport. Another visit I flew in, with a entry date stamp only; no defined end date. So I see no signs of a “traditional” visa with a termination date.

The second is, in terms of common law is it possible to develop compliance under a visa and a visa extension request (and how plausible is a 6 month visa extension request)? In terms of getting married does it matter whether it is in the U.S. or Canada, or wherever? And what would a typical timeframe for PR be for this avenue?

Thanks for entertaining my post.
us citizens are visa exempt, which means they do not require visas to enter canada, which means, no, you can not apply for a visa ahead of time and guarantee yourself a 6 month entry. as a US citizen, you have to continue doing what you are doing by going to the border and asking for entry. At the border, the agent will determine how long you are allowed in for based on your answers to the questions they ask. generally, one question that is commonly asked is "how long do you plan to be in canada". If they hear "6 months" rather than "10 days", their ears *may* perk up and ask you more questions. Since you are not married or commonlaw, it's important in this situation to make sure you can always prove your ties to the us no matter how long you intend to "visit". It is common for border agents to ask for proof of ties from US citizens wanting to "visit" longer than the norm. The proof of ties they care about are related to housing and a job. If you don't get a stamp in your passport, or an undated stamp, then the assumption is you are allowed in for 6 months. They can also choose to issue you a "Visitor's record" (which is not a visa) that will require you to leave by a certain date. Either way, once you are in, you can apply to extend your stay as a visitor. It is quite common for people to be approved extensions for 12+ months in order to become commonlaw or apply for PR. As a reminder, during this time, you can NOT work in while in canada, unless you are working remotely for an employer or client outside of Canada.

It doesn't matter where you are married. Canada acknowledges marriages fron the states. Currently, US citizens with straightfoward files are getting approved in 6 months or less. There's no guarantee how long this will continue, as it is difficult to predict. Unless you get married, you are quite a ways away from applying for PR.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
chala said:
I filed my USA tax return while living here in Canada even though I did not work in Canada since I am here as a visitor only. The IRS requires that you file a return whether you work or not.
Yes, I am well aware of that. I am currently visiting Canada and obviously need to file my US taxes for 2014. I will do it online by myself before April as usual. No biggie.

My question was once I am a Resident of Canada and work in Canada. The taxes #1 are due in June because we first have to file our Canadian taxes and #2 I don't want to be taxed by both countries. I know there are ways to make sure you don't but I don't know how to do any of that and I am sure the tax return would not be just a simple 123 like it is right now. That is why I was asking if you filed your USA taxes as a Canadian Resident while working in Canada BY YOURSELF with out assistance. Because my next question was going to be how easy was it?

natodincan

Oct 6, 2014
Hi Sara1,
Is the CJIS the people to call with questions regarding why my husbands FBI check is taking over 16 weeks? Also, is it the place to mail a change of address to?

Thanks!

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
natodincan said:
Hi Sara1,
Is the CJIS the people to call with questions regarding why my husbands FBI check is taking over 16 weeks? Also, is it the place to mail a change of address to?

Thanks!
How do I notify the FBI if my address has changed since I submitted my request for my Identity History Summary or if I want to verify my correct address was submitted?

Please complete and sign the Address Change Request Form and fax it to (304) 625-9792, or scan the form and e-mail it to liaison @ leo.gov.

Note: Changes will not be made unless a signature is present on the form.

from: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/faqs

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Mariac819 said:
Yes, I am well aware of that. I am currently visiting Canada and obviously need to file my US taxes for 2014. I will do it online by myself before April as usual. No biggie.

My question was once I am a Resident of Canada and work in Canada. The taxes #1 are due in June because we first have to file our Canadian taxes and #2 I don't want to be taxed by both countries.
i'm confused. taxes are due in april for both countries. i don't understand what june has to do with taxes, unless this is about an extension for filing?
it's been recommended to file canada taxes first. from what i understand, when doing us taxes, the amount of taxes paid in canada is credited toward what is owed in the us, so technically, it is suppose to prevent double taxation.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
i'm confused. taxes are due in april for both countries. i don't understand what june has to do with taxes, unless this is about an extension for filing?
it's been recommended to file canada taxes first. from what i understand, when doing us taxes, the amount of taxes paid in canada is credited toward what is owed in the us, so technically, it is suppose to prevent double taxation.
From what I have read if you reside and work outside the USA you have until June to file your USA taxes. I will look for the link and share as soon as I can.

Here found it:

Directly from the IRS website: (I'll paste the link in a few mins - can't paste on phone).

"If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien residing overseas, or are in the military on duty outside the U.S., on the regular due date of your return, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay any amount due without requesting an extension. For a calendar year return, the automatic 2-month extension is to June 15."

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Mariac819 said:
From what I have read if you reside and work outside the USA you have until June to file your USA taxes. I will look for the link and share as soon as I can.
oh cool!

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
rhcohen2014 said:
Here is how it works (hopefully my explanation won't make you more confused!):

If you're self-employed or run a business in Canada, you (and your spouse) have got until June 15 in Canada to file (instead of April 30). US taxpayers residing abroad automatically get an filing extension of two months, so American residents of Canada have a US deadline of June 15, too (instead of April 15). Tax payment deadlines remain in April, even if filing deadlines are in June (so you have to estimate your taxes owed and make a payment based on the estimate). For residents of foreign countries, US taxes are usually easy until you earn more than a certain amount (in 2014 it will be $99,200 per taxpayer, in US dollars). For most people with just employment income you can file form 2555 with your 1040 and you won't owe anything in the US. After that amount, the calculations get harder and you can theoretically wind up owing the US if your tax in Canada was lower than your tax in the US, and even if it wasn't, you have to file in the US anyhow, which means you have to figure your foreign tax credits to get your US tax liability to zero if your income was above the threshold. If you have income from sources in the US and in Canada, or you run a business, or you changed your country of residence in the past year, it can get much more complicated. But for the average US taxpayer living in Canada and making 100k Canadian a year (each US taxpayer spouse gets the exclusion, but your Canadian spouse who is not a US taxpayer doesn't have a US filing obligation) only from Canadian sources, it's not going to be hard (just irritating...).

Also, if you've got accounts outside the US with more than $10k in them at any point in the year, you've got asset disclosure forms to file (FBAR and/or FATCA). Those are really stupid, but the penalties for failure to file them are stiff...

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
natodincan said:
Hi Sara1,

Thanks!
I called yesterday and they are finishing up Sept 2nd applications, so if yours was prior to that, I would definitely call. Their number is 304-625-5590. There is virtually no hold time and they're extremely helpful and accommodating.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
IvanP said:
Here is how it works (hopefully my explanation won't make you more confused!):

If you're self-employed or run a business in Canada, you (and your spouse) have got until June 15 in Canada to file (instead of April 30). US taxpayers residing abroad automatically get an filing extension of two months, so American residents of Canada have a US deadline of June 15, too (instead of April 15). Tax payment deadlines remain in April, even if filing deadlines are in June (so you have to estimate your taxes owed and make a payment based on the estimate). For residents of foreign countries, US taxes are usually easy until you earn more than a certain amount (in 2014 it will be $99,200 per taxpayer, in US dollars). For most people with just employment income you can file form 2555 with your 1040 and you won't owe anything in the US. After that amount, the calculations get harder and you can theoretically wind up owing the US if your tax in Canada was lower than your tax in the US, and even if it wasn't, you have to file in the US anyhow, which means you have to figure your foreign tax credits to get your US tax liability to zero if your income was above the threshold. If you have income from sources in the US and in Canada, or you run a business, or you changed your country of residence in the past year, it can get much more complicated. But for the average US taxpayer living in Canada and making 100k Canadian a year (each US taxpayer spouse gets the exclusion, but your Canadian spouse who is not a US taxpayer doesn't have a US filing obligation) only from Canadian sources, it's not going to be hard (just irritating...).

Also, if you've got accounts outside the US with more than $10k in them at any point in the year, you've got asset disclosure forms to file (FBAR and/or FATCA). Those are really stupid, but the penalties for failure to file them are stiff...
thanks! that was great info! and truely does not look like it will be too difficult any time soon unless i happen to find a full time job that pays me 6 figures the first year. (which is very doubtful in my field) now what's your opinion/experience on filing jointly in canada and as single in the states? otherwise how do you file jointly if your spouse is not taxed in the us?