Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
I am wondering- my husband is a dual American/Canadian citizen. He officially changed his residency January 2011. Is it too late for him to import anything without the duty. Somewhere I read it was for a year. We didn't know about the B4 which is why this forum is so great. I am an American applying for PR in Canada so we can import items when I get status, but I was just wondering about his opportunity as it will be a year for me. I still claim my residence as the US. We have homes in both places.
also if someone brings family heirlooms into Canada, how difficult is it for families to retrieve them when someone passes?
Thanks

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
Question:
Under question 3 on the generic form IMM0008 it asks for "Immigration office requested" Buffalo is closing and the CIC website show CPP-O as the processing center for outland US. Only problem is that this is the inland processing center, correct me if I am wrong.

I am in Canada and wish to apply outland and I am worried that this will cause my application to be processed inland. What do I put on question 3?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rattles said:
Question:
Under question 3 on the generic form IMM0008 it asks for "Immigration office requested" Buffalo is closing and the CIC website show CPP-O as the processing center for outland US. Only problem is that this is the inland processing center, correct me if I am wrong.

I am in Canada and wish to apply outland and I am worried that this will cause my application to be processed inland. What do I put on question 3?
Welcome :)

Request CPP-O.

It often causes confusion, but the outland vs. inland nomenclature refers to the requirements (eg. inland requires applicant to be in Canada) and the process followed not to where the application is necessarily processed (now with CPP-O's creation)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
crna80 said:
I am wondering- my husband is a dual American/Canadian citizen. He officially changed his residency January 2011. Is it too late for him to import anything without the duty. Somewhere I read it was for a year. We didn't know about the B4 which is why this forum is so great. I am an American applying for PR in Canada so we can import items when I get status, but I was just wondering about his opportunity as it will be a year for me. I still claim my residence as the US. We have homes in both places.
also if someone brings family heirlooms into Canada, how difficult is it for families to retrieve them when someone passes?
Thanks
It depends on various factors, including where he's been living, how much time he has spent in Canada, and whether he's been officially a resident of another country. I see you said he changed his residency 2011, but I don't know what you mean by this exactly (in Canada, you can be a resident for certain purposes but not others ... for example, you can land once you have your PR and be an resident for immigration purposes but if you turn around and head back to the US without doing anything else as you wrap up your affairs you won't be a resident for CRA and could - depending on your intentions - not to be a resident for customs purposes either).

CBSA:

"Who are considered Former Residents?

Former Residents of Canada are persons who are returning to Canada to resume residence in Canada after having been residents of another country for a period of not less than one year. Persons who establish themselves as residents of another country for a period of at least one year may make return visits to Canada (as non-resident visitors) without jeopardizing their former resident entitlement.
However, persons who do not establish themselves as residents of another country during their absence from Canada, such as those on extended vacations, voyages or world cruises, are only eligible to the former resident entitlement if the duration of their absence is a continuous period of at least one year, without any return to Canada having been made during that time. Should these persons make return visits to Canada, they will be entitled to a personal exemption as described in the publication called “I Declare”."
Source: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5087-eng.html#s8

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Welcome :)

Request CPP-O.

It often causes confusion, but the outland vs. inland nomenclature refers to the requirements (eg. inland requires applicant to be in Canada) and the process followed not to where the application is necessarily processed (now with CPP-O's creation)
Thank you so much for your quick response. I am guessing the inland vs. outland processing is asked on another form? I am letting my paranoia of getting anything wrong get to me with nearly every question. I was just confused that with my being in Canada as a visitor that this would cause them to go inland.

Is claiming my address in Canada the appropriate response or should I go ahead and list it as my Texas address even though I haven't resided there for nearly two years now?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rattles said:
Thank you so much for your quick response. I am guessing the inland vs. outland processing is asked on another form? I am letting my paranoia of getting anything wrong get to me with nearly every question. I was just confused that with my being in Canada as a visitor that this would cause them to go inland.
My pleasure :)

While there is some overlap, inland and outland applications have different forms, checklists, and are sent to different places (CPC-M for outland, CPC-V for inland). Make sure you are using the outland instructions

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
OhCanadiana said:
My pleasure :)

While there is some overlap, inland and outland applications have different forms, checklists, and are sent to different places (CPC-M for outland, CPC-V for inland). Make sure you are using the outland instructions

Thank you again. I am sure I will have many more questions in the future. Your help is so greatly appreciated.

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Keep them coming :)
Here is another one, board related. How do you give someone a plus for their help? Is this not an option?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rattles said:
Here is another one, board related. How do you give someone a plus for their help? Is this not an option?
Underneath the person's name there is a section with number and posts and ratings. Right below that there are links for good and poor. Some people have reported seeing them after 10 posts, others after 20 so you may need a few more posts if it doesn't show up for you yet.

For example, under your name I see
Ratings: +1
[Good] [Poor]

mattrox10

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2012
Doc's Request.
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
25-07-2012
File Transfer...
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
07-04-2012
Passport Req..
28-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2013
My husband are planning a trip to italy for October. What happens if we get the PPR around that time? Can we go on the trip and send it out when we get back or does it need to be sent out within a certain amount of time?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mattrox10 said:
My husband are planning a trip to italy for October. What happens if we get the PPR around that time? Can we go on the trip and send it out when we get back or does it need to be sent out within a certain amount of time?
Is your husband is a US citizen? If so, you'll just need to send them a copy of his passport - perhaps you can have family in the US or Canada mail it for you. If he's not from a visa exempt country, how long is the trip? And, when did your husband do his medicals? VO's give you 30 or 60 days usually to get the passport to them ... time will tell what CPC-O does.

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
OhCanadiana said:
It depends on various factors, including where he's been living, how much time he has spent in Canada, and whether he's been officially a resident of another country. I see you said he changed his residency 2011, but I don't know what you mean by this exactly (in Canada, you can be a resident for certain purposes but not others ... for example, you can land once you have your PR and be an resident for immigration purposes but if you turn around and head back to the US without doing anything else as you wrap up your affairs you won't be a resident for CRA and could - depending on your intentions - not to be a resident for customs purposes either).

CBSA:

"Who are considered Former Residents?

Former Residents of Canada are persons who are returning to Canada to resume residence in Canada after having been residents of another country for a period of not less than one year. Persons who establish themselves as residents of another country for a period of at least one year may make return visits to Canada (as non-resident visitors) without jeopardizing their former resident entitlement.
However, persons who do not establish themselves as residents of another country during their absence from Canada, such as those on extended vacations, voyages or world cruises, are only eligible to the former resident entitlement if the duration of their absence is a continuous period of at least one year, without any return to Canada having been made during that time. Should these persons make return visits to Canada, they will be entitled to a personal exemption as described in the publication called “I Declare”."
Source: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5087-eng.html#s8
Funny when you write these it seems like you are putting all the info, and then go back and read and see all you forgot to mention. My husband had been a US resident, living in the US for almost 20 years, he is natural born Canadian citizen. In 01/2011 he moved back to Canada to work. I , the wife is the one applying for PR. So according to what I've read, I can bring items in with tax exempt. Just wondering about my husband, since it has been over a year is able to import anything with the tax exemption? I hope that is clear. I appreciate all the knowledge on this forum. thank you all for your help.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
crna80 said:
Funny when you write these it seems like you are putting all the info, and then go back and read and see all you forgot to mention. My husband had been a US resident, living in the US for almost 20 years, he is natural born Canadian citizen. In 01/2011 he moved back to Canada to work. I , the wife is the one applying for PR. So according to what I've read, I can bring items in with tax exempt. Just wondering about my husband, since it has been over a year is able to import anything with the tax exemption? I hope that is clear. I appreciate all the knowledge on this forum. thank you all for your help.
Thanks for the additional info. Your husband would have had to submit his B4 in 01/2011 (when he first moved back) to use the personal goods allowance. You can try to call CBSA to see if there's any way around it, but I wouldn't expect there is :(

However, once you get your PR status you can bring in all your goods on your B4. A lot of spouses just fill out one B4/B4A between them to facilitate B4 and shipment management (the other person can always bring things in with written approval). The only thing would be that your name has to be on any car title (you can have both names on it or just yours) and you will have to be present for the export/import process yourself.

Nervereck

Jun 6, 2012
Hi OhCanadian,

I just saw the spreadsheet and I would like to be part of it. Here is our timeline.

Med exam done Nov 14 2011
Application received Dec 30 2011
Sponsor accepted: Feb 20 2012
E-mail confirming reception of app: Feb 27 2012 from Buffalo
Transfer to Seattle: March 7 2012
Interview schedule : Aug 13 2012

My e-case still says Application received. Doesn't say anything about the med exam. Is that normal? I know our interview is rare, but I don't see what they would want more. We have a bb together and she is dual already.

Thanks