+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US college student- very stressed about student visa application

Jan 9, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice about my student visa application. I'm very worried that I will get rejected, mainly because of the financial aspects.

I am transferring to a university in Canada from a university in the USA. I will be starting my junior year in Canada, meaning i'll only be in college there for 2 years. I have already been accepted to my university.

The tuition fees for one year are 18,000 CAD. I will be living in a dorm that is 6,000 CAD for one year. I have a meal plan that pays for all my meals which is about 1200 CAD. This equals to about 25,000 CAD a year.

In my student visa application I showed that I have 19,000 CAD in my bank account. I am receiving a US government loan of 9,300 CAD. My total is 28,300 CAD.

I'm worried because I saw that it is recommended to have 10,000 CAD + the cost of tuition fees. I only have about 3000 extra.

However, I already have a job on campus working 20 hours a week making 12 CAD an hour(~500 a paycheck) I also work a job during the spring and summer where I make about 20$ USD an hour, which is where I made the 19,000 already in my bank account, which is how i'll be paying for my second year's tuition. Next year I will also receive a US Government loan of 12,000 CAD. I've explained both of these things on my application, and have included a letter from my Canadian college stating I will be working on campus and a letter from my American job saying I will be returning next year and the amount of hours I work and my pay.

I also do not need to budget travel fees because I currently live on a small island about 20 miles from my Canadian college. I travel to this city all the time by ferry and it costs about 10$ USD to get there. Because of this, I already have warm clothes, jackets, etc.

Everything else on my application is great. I'm mainly worried about this financial aspect. I'm able to take out a small loan if necessary. What do you think about my situation?

Last edited:
R

rish888

As a U.S. citizen, why didn't you just apply for a study permit at the border?

You do seem to have enough money, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Anyway there's nothing you do now but wait. (I had a similar feeling a few weeks back waiting for my SAT scores to come out and eventually I just had to stop thinking about up to maintain my sanity.)

Generally speaking Americans tend to have an easier time than others, exemplified by the fact that only Americans can apply for a study permit at the border while everyone else must apply at an embassy. (Everyone needs to comply with the statutory requirements though, which you have met.)

Worst case if it's denied you can always head to the border and apply for a permit there and explain to the officer in person that you have enough to cover uni expenses and that you'll comply with immigration legislation etc. If denied maybe look at taking a student line of credit or something like that (as you mentioned) to show the officer that you have access to extra funds.

Jan 9, 2018
As a U.S. citizen, why didn't you just apply for a study permit at the border?

You do seem to have enough money, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Anyway there's nothing you do now but wait. (I had a similar feeling a few weeks back waiting for my SAT scores to come out and eventually I just had to stop thinking about up to maintain my sanity.)

Generally speaking Americans tend to have an easier time than others, exemplified by the fact that only Americans can apply for a study permit at the border while everyone else must apply at an embassy. (Everyone needs to comply with the statutory requirements though, which you have met.)

Worst case if it's denied you can always head to the border and apply for a permit there and explain to the officer in person that you have enough to cover uni expenses and that you'll comply with immigration legislation etc. If denied maybe look at taking a student line of credit or something like that (as you mentioned) to show the officer that you have access to extra funds.
Oh, I didn't even notice that was an option. I just applied online. Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better!