+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Canadian Border Restrictions

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
This is probably going to be answered with speculation more than anything else (completely understandable given circumstances) but when does anyone think the border restrictions are going to be let up? Does anyone think they're going to last beyond June 30th and if so, how long? Additionally, do you think students for Fall 2020 are going to be able to come in for their courses starting in September?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Are you an American and talking about the land border? You should be able to cross if you are coming for studies even now, you will fall under the "essential" category.

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
I am! However, from what I've been reading I wouldn't be able because A. I haven't applied for my permit yet (didn't get my letter until we were already all on lockdown/restrictions in place) and from what I've read the restrictions are in place until June 30th (and at that might I might just apply at the border if it's open, which is another thing restricted under the current restrictions) ... apparently it's only deemed "essential" travel if you got your permit/letter before March 18th or the likes, unless I read the restriction/exemption list that was issued very wrong? (which, always possible.)

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I am! However, from what I've been reading I wouldn't be able because A. I haven't applied for my permit yet (didn't get my letter until we were already all on lockdown/restrictions in place) and from what I've read the restrictions are in place until June 30th (and at that might I might just apply at the border if it's open, which is another thing restricted under the current restrictions) ... apparently it's only deemed "essential" travel if you got your permit/letter before March 18th or the likes, unless I read the restriction/exemption list that was issued very wrong? (which, always possible.)
I think you are confusing the rules for air travel with the rules for crossing the land border, 2 different rules.
Americans are only not allowed for non essential travel to cross the border, this basically means tourism or visiting friends and things, if you have a study permit you should be allowed in, I do not know if you can apply at the border at this moment. Even non Americans can cross at the border if they are not non essential and have only been in US for past 14 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you are confusing the rules for air travel with the rules for crossing the land border, 2 different rules.
Americans are only not allowed for non essential travel to cross the border, this basically means tourism or visiting friends and things, if you have a study permit you should be allowed in, I do not know if you can apply at the border at this moment. Even non Americans can cross at the border if they are not non essential and have only been in US for past 14 days.
They don’t have a permit.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're correct. They aren't processing permits at the border so under the current restrictions since this is classified non essential. You would need to apply for a study permit in advance and already have it approved when you arrive at the border.

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
I'm wondering if I should try to put the application in when everything opens back up or if it's better to just apply at the border? It's likely things won't open up where I am for at least a while.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm wondering if I should try to put the application in when everything opens back up or if it's better to just apply at the border? It's likely things won't open up where I am for at least a while.
Online applications are still being processed. At a slower rate, but they are being processed. You can apply now.

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
I know that the applications are still being processed, however, in order for me to apply online, I still need documents/papers etc., that I can only obtain/access when lockdown/stay at home orders are lifted. That's kind of where my problem comes in.

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
Additionally this is kind of off topic to the question I was asking about, but I do appreciate anyone who tried to answer so far.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know that the applications are still being processed, however, in order for me to apply online, I still need documents/papers etc., that I can only obtain/access when lockdown/stay at home orders are lifted. That's kind of where my problem comes in.
That makes sense. In that case it doesn't sound like you have any option but to wait until restrictions have lifted.

Note that universities are still considering if in-person classes will restart in September or not until 2021. Might make sense to wait and see what comes out of that.

Henson221

Apr 9, 2020
Thank you! and yes, I've heard about that as well. Truthfully, I really don't want to defer a year and remain hopeful things will open up before then.