Jan 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 7th 2011
I came to Canada in last december and in Jan 2010 itself i need to apply for work permit otherwise mine wont be accepted that i wont be having enough time provided to visa office that is minimum 6 months valid visa. I came here on Visitor visa as my wife is working here. We applied for dependent visa in India. But when we tried to port of entry in Toronto we learned from immigration officers that my visitor visa(dependent visa) is different than spouse visa (visitor visa). As per my TRV immigration officers at airport provided me the visitor visa (the visitor visa normally you get for parents). They did not given me the form of visitor visa...As they provides the just return date on Passport (i learned that they used to provide this type of response to parents visa).

I would like to apply for open work permit here. When i visited to CIC website. I learned that i am eligible for open work permit. But i have doubt that i have been given parents Visitor visa so am i eligible for open work permit?

And would like to go to Local Visa Offices in Toronto to have this clarified and apply for open work permit...Please provide the information

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
venkanat said:
I came to Canada in last december and in Jan 2010 itself i need to apply for work permit otherwise mine wont be accepted that i wont be having enough time provided to visa office that is minimum 6 months valid visa. I came here on Visitor visa as my wife is working here. We applied for dependent visa in India. But when we tried to port of entry in Toronto we learned from immigration officers that my visitor visa(dependent visa) is different than spouse visa (visitor visa). As per my TRV immigration officers at airport provided me the visitor visa (the visitor visa normally you get for parents). They did not given me the form of visitor visa...As they provides the just return date on Passport (i learned that they used to provide this type of response to parents visa).

I would like to apply for open work permit here. When i visited to CIC website. I learned that i am eligible for open work permit. But i have doubt that i have been given parents Visitor visa so am i eligible for open work permit?

And would like to go to Local Visa Offices in Toronto to have this clarified and apply for open work permit...Please provide the information
Is your wife's employment under skilled workers category?

venkanat

Jan 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 7th 2011
Yes. She is under skilled worker category.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
venkanat said:
Yes. She is under skilled worker category.
Were you give an Visitor Record? or just a stamp on your passport? For your initial work permit app you can sned it to CPC-Vegreville :

Spouses or common-law partners of highly skilled temporary foreign workers, may
themselves be authorized to work without first having a confirmed job offer by Human
Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC confirmation). In the case of
workers destined for Quebec, without having to obtain a CAQ from the Ministère de
l’Immigration et des communautés culturelles (MICC). The principal foreign worker must
be doing work which is at a level that falls within National Occupational Classification
(NOC) Skill Levels O, A or B in order for them to qualify for a work permit.

Use Imm1249 for your initial work permit application to change your status from visitor to worker. You need to attach a copy of your wife's work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Call CIC or read cic.gc.ca if you need more clarifications. PMM, Leon, etc may give more insights/suggestions.

venkanat

Jan 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 7th 2011
ya they have given only the stamp on passport

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know about different types of visitor visa but since you are eligible for an open spouse work permit, you should apply for one. You can use the "change of status" application form to do that.

venkanat

Jan 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 7th 2011
Thank you so much guys for your answers.

I have seen payment options in the application form, they have given online payment and other options(i didnt understand these). Can you please let me know can i go to Bank and take Money Order or attested check...etc?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can see the payment options here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp

Basically they offer you to pay with a credit card online or you have to order a receipt form and there is a link to do that. If you order a receipt form, they will send it to you in the mail. You can fill in the amount yourself and pay it at any bank. You will get a stamped receipt from that and send that in with your application.

Work permit is $150.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
venkanat said:
Thank you so much guys for your answers.

I have seen payment options in the application form, they have given online payment and other options(i didnt understand these). Can you please let me know can i go to Bank and take Money Order or attested check...etc?
You have to ask for the receipt to be sent to you if you are going to pay in the bank. They will send the receipt form and you have to present this to the bank.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/kmsweb/order/orderitemform_init.do?dispatch=orderitemform_init&org.apache.struts.taglib.html.TOKEN=6ba5f7c710fa8968b7d7c446721aecb4

venkanat

Jan 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 7th 2011
Thank you Job Seeker and Leon for your valuable suggestions.

When i saw those payment options (otherthan online) i understood that will take time atleast 2 weeks to complete all the things...So thought of paying online as my wife is having options...so that i can apply my application right away