+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT!! Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409]

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
Me and my girlfriend are common law partners.

She wants to apply for an extension of her temporary resident visa within a few days.
Do we need to add the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] in this application at this time?

I want to extend my own work permit within 1 month with her status as an international student.

The question is if we already have to show the government that we are common law partners with my girlfriends application instead of my own work permit application?

It is very urgent for me to know this, thanks in advance!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
It depends upon the basis of your application i.e. if you wish for her to be shown as your dependent (you being the primary applicant), then you would need proof of common law, not just the form but additional stuff like proof of you two living together etc. Since your own work permit seems to be expiring, it is advised to apply together. Otherwise an application of dependent based upon a work permit near expiry is likely to be refused.

If she has other means indicating her reasons for extended stay, then she can apply on her own without the common law union declaration. But i am not sure what those are and what basis did she get visa in the first place.

thomascwm said:
Me and my girlfriend are common law partners.

She wants to apply for an extension of her temporary resident visa within a few days.
Do we need to add the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] in this application at this time?

I want to extend my own work permit within 1 month with her status as an international student.

The question is if we already have to show the government that we are common law partners with my girlfriends application instead of my own work permit application?

It is very urgent for me to know this, thanks in advance!

thomascwm

Oct 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

My common law partner is from Iran and she has a study permit up to September 2014.
She wants to apply for a TRV, because she wants to travel in December.

I need to apply with the common law status to extend my own work permit, I am dependent on her.

I just dont know if it is really necessary to show all the common law documents for a TRV extension at this moment.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You are most welcome. In either case, if one of you is trying to base his/her application on the other person (rather than his / her own status), then you need to show proof of common law relationship along with forms