+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

:::URGENT::: SPONSOR SPOUSE WITHIN CANADA AS A STUDENT?????

gusko357

May 27, 2013
Hi,

I hope somebody can help me in this matter because I could not find any exact information so far.

I am holding a study permit which is still valid for several years (PhD Student) and would like to sponsor my common-law-partner to stay in Canada with me (she has a Temporary Resident Visa and a Study Permit that expire in 3 months). We did not enter Canada as Common-Law-Partners because we did not live together for 1 year back then. Now we can prove that we have lived together for 1 year (counting the time within and outside of Canada).

I found on the CIC website that she might be able to renew her TRV and get a temporary open work permit. Does anybody have experience in this matter or can understand the CIC website better than me ;D ???

Is this the right visa to apply for?
cic.gc.ca/ english/ study/work-spouse.asp

Is there an option to apply from outside of Canada at the local embassy? Would this have any advantages for the application?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Yes, that is the right application that you are looking at.

No, she cannot apply to an embassy outside Canada.

Did you have any separation between living together outside Canada and within Canada? To be considered common-law, the 12-month period must be continuous.

gusko357

May 27, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Yes, that is the right application that you are looking at.

No, she cannot apply to an embassy outside Canada.

Did you have any separation between living together outside Canada and within Canada? To be considered common-law, the 12-month period must be continuous.
no, we have lived together more than 12 months and we got married recently so there should be no problem with that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gusko357 said:
no, we have lived together more than 12 months and we got married recently so there should be no problem with that.
OK, that's fine then. Your first post said you were common-law; if you are married, you don't actually have to prove the 1-year of cohabitation.

FYI, you should start calling her 'wife'; if you keep calling her 'common-law partner', she might get a bit ticked off at you lol ;)

JDX

Jun 26, 2013
gusko357 said:
Hi,

I hope somebody can help me in this matter because I could not find any exact information so far.

I am holding a study permit which is still valid for several years (PhD Student) and would like to sponsor my common-law-partner to stay in Canada with me (she has a Temporary Resident Visa and a Study Permit that expire in 3 months). We did not enter Canada as Common-Law-Partners because we did not live together for 1 year back then. Now we can prove that we have lived together for 1 year (counting the time within and outside of Canada).

I found on the CIC website that she might be able to renew her TRV and get a temporary open work permit. Does anybody have experience in this matter or can understand the CIC website better than me ;D ???

Is this the right visa to apply for?
cic.gc.ca/ english/ study/work-spouse.asp

Is there an option to apply from outside of Canada at the local embassy? Would this have any advantages for the application?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!

You can't sponsor her because you are not a Canadian citizen/PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
JDX said:
You can't sponsor her because you are not a Canadian citizen/PR.
Read through the posts a bit more. The OP is not referring to Family Class Sponsorship; he has simply used the word "sponsorship" incorrectly.

He is here on a study permit and was asking how his wife can apply for an OWP based on his status.

gusko357

May 27, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
OK, that's fine then. Your first post said you were common-law; if you are married, you don't actually have to prove the 1-year of cohabitation.

FYI, you should start calling her 'wife'; if you keep calling her 'common-law partner', she might get a bit ticked off at you lol ;)
haha, thx for your advice ;)