+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT QUERY PLEASE HELP

Jun 28, 2013
Hello All,
I need a opinion regarding my citizenship application. I applied in winter 2011 and my test will be next week. I had always holded a full time job since the time i had arrived in Canada only till two months ago i had been laid off due to a reorganization in my department, currently i am on EI Benefits. The question i have will that have any negative impact on my file??? As i heard the employment question is asked by the CIC officials at the time of test.
All of your replies/comments will be greatly appreciated as it will be a great help clearing up my mind.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PROUDCANADIAN1982 said:
Hello All,
I need a opinion regarding my citizenship application. I applied in winter 2011 and my test will be next week. I had always holded a full time job since the time i had arrived in Canada only till two months ago i had been laid off due to a reorganization in my department, currently i am on EI Benefits. The question i have will that have any negative impact on my file??? As i heard the employment question is asked by the CIC officials at the time of test.
All of your replies/comments will be greatly appreciated as it will be a great help clearing up my mind.
It has no effect on your citizenship application. You couldn't wait more than 20 minutes for an answer?

thisu

Star Member
Jun 19, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 march 2013
File Transfer...
29 march 2013
Med's Done....
18 January 2013
Passport Req..
19 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
If you want to be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you must meet the requirements in all of the following areas:
• Residence in Canada
• Language abilities
• Criminal history (prohibitions)
• Knowledge of Canada
There is no employment, laid off (EI) or welfare. So Still you are eligible to get Citizenship.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
There are many people who do not work at all and even never worked and became citizens without any problem. :)

Jun 28, 2013
Thanks all for your positive feedback i do appreciate it. The only reason this was bugging me as i heard many people saying that they do question your employment status upon your interview on the exam day however in my case like i said before from past 5 years i always been employed its only just recently i got laid off. Once again thanks all.

thisu

Star Member
Jun 19, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 march 2013
File Transfer...
29 march 2013
Med's Done....
18 January 2013
Passport Req..
19 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
PROUDCANADIAN1982 said:
Thanks all for your positive feedback i do appreciate it. The only reason this was bugging me as i heard many people saying that they do question your employment status upon your interview on the exam day however in my case like i said before from past 5 years i always been employed its only just recently i got laid off. Once again thanks all.
best of luck and welcome to the Canadian world.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
jobs cuts, job limbo , and job uncertainty is the new normal not only here in Canada but everywhere. And its just become worse in Canada (which was always more conservative in some things) - even Canadians born here and working in the Public Service/Govt are being laid off by the dozens. These are interesting times !

NSBoy902

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
You do not need to be employed to be become Canadian. Also, it is your right to get EI benefits because while you were working, you already contributed for the EI benefits.
This is like Credit Card rewards point. The more you spent, the more you get it
The more you work andéor contribute EI, the more you become eligible.
Just tell the truth if they ask you.

Justice4B

Feb 19, 2011
I don't think you need overly worry about your situation. Everyone gave you good advice. The work questions are usually to see if you were working outside of Canada, especially across the border (USA). Obviously if you were working in Canada, YOU WERE HERE. If it makes you feel better, even Pensioners, drawing a foreign Pension with access to such Pension in Canada (or anywhere in the world), are looked upon with great suspicion. All it takes to satisfy CIC's curiosity is honest answer to questions, be it at interview time, or worse case scenario, RQ process.

If it further helps, be it known that I am someone who draws a US Pension and came to Canada over 5 years ago. I have been a Volunteer with a reputable Canadian organization for over 5 years (including reporting to my peers/supervisors on Clients). I also did some Court interpretation. Each month, my pension came into TD Bank, so as for me to pay my rent. I stayed at the same address for 5 years. All these 'answers' were part of the RQ process. So, at the end of the day, CIC needs proof --that's all.

You have no worries re: EI, job loss etc.....no bearing on ur application!

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
Buddy you are better off being on EI as you stated you had always been employed for past 5 years. Your EI clearly indicates you qualify for the benefit giving you worked minimum 52 weeks to qualify for the benefit plus i am surely hopefully you still have your ROE which should indicate your 1st day and last day of work, plus you must have EI statement indicating for how many weeks you qualified for. Assuming you have all the mentioned documents you will be golden buddy trust me. You being on EI will help you out.
Just in case take all these documents with you but they probably wouldn't even bother looking at them. Do take your pay stubs and your notice of assessments.
You soon will be a Canadian buddy giving you have all what i mentioned above :)
So don't even worry about it.