+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT HELP] How can I keep my spouse in Canada until she gets her Canadian PR?

JH_Kim

Jul 24, 2024
Hi, I'm a Canadian citizen who recently got married to my Japanese spouse in Japan last month (June 25, 2024).

We met roughly a bit more than a year ago in Canada and during that time, she had her visitor visa.
When we started dating, she extended her visitor visa to July 30, 2024, so she cannot extend her visitors visa again.

Long story short, we gathered up all the necessary documents from Japan (we thought), but we haven't received her 'Police Certificate' and 'Birth Certificate' from Japan yet.
Other than that, everything is ready to be submitted, but it will take roughly a month or two until we receive all the missing documents and have them translated by the embassy of Japan.
Since we started filling out the digital forms online for my spouse's PR application, the application status is 'Initiated', but I cannot submit it until I receive the missing documents.

Her visitor visa is expiring VERY SOON, but IRCC is not answer my call to answer my questions even though I tried calling them all day today.
Japan is strict about taxes, so before she left Japan, she went to her city hall and told them that she won't be returning back to Japan for at least a year, which they then took her out of the Tax Payer of 2024.
If she goes back to Japan now, she will have a bad look on her Japanese record and I don't know if there is a way to keep her in Canada.

Is there a way for her to apply for some kind of temporary visa or extended visitor visa until she gets her PR?
I know we need 30 days at least before extending the visitor visa's expiration, but we were not worried as we thought we could get all the PR documents ready but we found out pretty late.

Also if 'initiated' application status is a good enough reason for her to stay in Canada, how do we apply for her temporary visa?

Someone please help.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hi, I'm a Canadian citizen who recently got married to my Japanese spouse in Japan last month (June 25, 2024).

We met roughly a bit more than a year ago in Canada and during that time, she had her visitor visa.
When we started dating, she extended her visitor visa to July 30, 2024, so she cannot extend her visitors visa again.

Long story short, we gathered up all the necessary documents from Japan (we thought), but we haven't received her 'Police Certificate' and 'Birth Certificate' from Japan yet.
Other than that, everything is ready to be submitted, but it will take roughly a month or two until we receive all the missing documents and have them translated by the embassy of Japan.
Since we started filling out the digital forms online for my spouse's PR application, the application status is 'Initiated', but I cannot submit it until I receive the missing documents.

Her visitor visa is expiring VERY SOON, but IRCC is not answer my call to answer my questions even though I tried calling them all day today.
Japan is strict about taxes, so before she left Japan, she went to her city hall and told them that she won't be returning back to Japan for at least a year, which they then took her out of the Tax Payer of 2024.
If she goes back to Japan now, she will have a bad look on her Japanese record and I don't know if there is a way to keep her in Canada.

Is there a way for her to apply for some kind of temporary visa or extended visitor visa until she gets her PR?
I know we need 30 days at least before extending the visitor visa's expiration, but we were not worried as we thought we could get all the PR documents ready but we found out pretty late.

Also if 'initiated' application status is a good enough reason for her to stay in Canada, how do we apply for her temporary visa?

Someone please help.
She can travel to the states for a bit and come back maybe.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What makes you say that? Not true, as far as I'm aware:
" May I apply more than once for an extension of my temporary resident status?

You may apply as many times as you wish, but each time that you apply, you must complete a new application and pay the fee. You must also demonstrate that your residence in Canada is still temporary."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html

Apply ASAP, while it's being processed I think you're okay, and in that month or so get your PR sponsorship app in.

Reactions: YVR123

JH_Kim

Jul 24, 2024
What makes you say that? Not true, as far as I'm aware:
" May I apply more than once for an extension of my temporary resident status?

You may apply as many times as you wish, but each time that you apply, you must complete a new application and pay the fee. You must also demonstrate that your residence in Canada is still temporary."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html

Apply ASAP, while it's being processed I think you're okay, and in that month or so get your PR sponsorship app in.
I was told that applying the extension of visitor visa within Canada is only once, but I will double check on that.

Is there a chance it may be refused because the visa expires in less than a week? (should be 30 days prior to re-applying).

Charlamanderxxxx

Star Member
Jun 27, 2024
I was told that applying the extension of visitor visa within Canada is only once, but I will double check on that.

Is there a chance it may be refused because the visa expires in less than a week? (should be 30 days prior to re-applying).
I did visitor record twice with no issues. My suggestion is apply for another one as soon as you can then she should be able to remain in Canada after that.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

Charlamanderxxxx

Star Member
Jun 27, 2024

I read somewhere and it says "The government recommends applying for the visitor record at least 30 days before the current status expires. It is not mandatory, so you can wait until about 7 days before expiration at the latest. " but yes, please apply as soon as you can

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I read somewhere and it says "The government recommends applying for the visitor record at least 30 days before the current status expires. It is not mandatory, so you can wait until about 7 days before expiration at the latest. " but yes, please apply as soon as you can
In fact in these cases you can apply right up until midnight the day before it expires - BUT any glitches, time zone issues or whatever other reason submission is incomplete/not accepted are your problem, and you're out of status. In other words, if someone is in a situation where they haven't done - do it IMMEDIATELY. But still a very bad idea to leave to the absolute last minute.

Reactions: Ponga