+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent COPR at land border?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Update....CBSA was able to find and print out my COPR!!
Congrats!

Quick q - roughly how long ago did you become a PR? And did the COPR that they printed out have records of the signatures and date of activation? Was it a scan of that original (with the physical signatures), or basically just a 'nude' / unexecuted version?

(BTW - one 'tell' from the military contacts was this above:
I had to explain to them what a COPR is and how it is equivalent to the Record of Landing document.
I think the record of landing was last used in 2002 - so they're that far out of date as to what current docs are used. (Or at least the people you spoke with was)
https://recordoflanding.ca/faqs/what-is-a-imm-1000/

Reactions: mi75

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I find it odd that when I was handed my CoPR when I landed, I was given the original and three photo copies. The ONLY thing to discern the original from the three copies...is a small triangle in yellow hi-liter the officer made (in front of me), on the lower right corner of the page, telling me that this is my original.
Huh?! Not even a watermark?! LOL!

Congrats to the OP!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Correct, but my copy was a phone picture from 6 years ago and wasn't a great copy truthfully. Just to buy time until I get a new one and they might accept it.

The document shows I am a permanent residence. This is their explanation to me. I know my expired PR card shows I am a PR as well. But this is what they have told me.
If just a copy of your original COPR I still don’t understand how that proves that your are a PR. Without a valid PR cars or VOS you can’t prove that you are a PR. Would assume the military needs to show that you are a current PR or a Canadian citizen. Actually normally you need to be a Canadian citizen but perhaps they have change that to PR because of low enrolment. Was the issue about the quality of the document or are you trying to prove that you are still a PR?

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
Congrats

Quick q - roughly how long ago did you become a PR? And did the COPR that they printed out have records of the signatures and date of activation? Was it a scan of that original (with the physical signatures), or basically just a 'nude' / unexecuted version?

(BTW - one 'tell' from the military contacts was this above:

I think the record of landing was last used in 2002 - so they're that far out of date as to what current docs are used. (Or at least the people you spoke with was)
https://recordoflanding.ca/faqs/what-is-a-imm-1000/
Thank you!!

I became a PR in 2017. It was the exact copy of my original COPR with it saying "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" stamped on the the middle.

It had the immigration officer's signature as well as mine including the date we both signed.

Very top of the document is says CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE.

My names, DOB, sex, citizenship.

UCI #
App. No.
Document No.

All my personal details including place of birth, last entry, height, eye color, Became P.R. on....etc. Expiry, etc.

Personal details section followed by...

Application details section.

Medical details section.

Sponsor information section.

Dependents section.

Hope that helps.

And yes definitely way behind the time with the Record of Landing as a proof of identity without the including the COPR!

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you!!

I became a PR in 2017. It was the exact copy of my original COPR with it saying "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" stamped on the the middle.

It had the immigration officer's signature as well as mine including the date we both signed.

Very top of the document is says CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE.

My names, DOB, sex, citizenship.

UCI #
App. No.
Document No.

All my personal details including place of birth, last entry, height, eye color, Became P.R. on....etc. Expiry, etc.

Personal details section followed by...

Application details section.

Medical details section.

Sponsor information section.

Dependents section.

Hope that helps.

And yes definitely way behind the time with the Record of Landing as a proof of identity without the including the COPR!
That doesn’t confirm that you are currently a permanent resident. You could have lost your status. The confirmation of your PR status is just for landing and until you receive your PR card. Did the military ask for proof of your PR status? If so a copy of your COPR shouldn’t be enough. Was COPR on the list of documents you could submit?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That doesn’t confirm that you are currently a permanent resident. You could have lost your status. The confirmation of your PR status is just for landing and until you receive your PR card. Did the military ask for proof of your PR status? If so a copy of your COPR shouldn’t be enough. Was COPR on the list of documents you could submit?
You should call the military to tell them they're wrong.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you!!

The original(s) would have had not valid for travel watermarked across, too. So it sounds like essentially it's a good scan that they retained.

Thanks, useful to know that CBSA retains an accessible copy (at least of recent-ish ones).

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
If just a copy of your original COPR I still don’t understand how that proves that your are a PR. Without a valid PR cars or VOS you can’t prove that you are a PR. Would assume the military needs to show that you are a current PR or a Canadian citizen. Actually normally you need to be a Canadian citizen but perhaps they have change that to PR because of low enrolment. Was the issue about the quality of the document or are you trying to prove that you are still a PR?
I wish I could give you a concrete answer. I have not been given one as of yet. I just know and was told they need one Foundational piece of ID...ex one of the following...Canadian passport, PR card or Record of Landing (which I mentioned should also include a COPR obviously).

My phone picture of my COPR I sent in wasn't a great photo as I didn't have a complete scanned copy. I have asked why they denied it, but hopefully will find out tomorrow. According to their own paperwork and qualifications, a scanned complete copy of my COPR should qualify.

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
You should call the military to tell them they're wrong.
Easier said than done. I have told them and included screenshots, links, etc. They submitted it for the Reliability status to Ottawa and Ottawa has the final decision.

Hopefully this scanned copy directly from CBSA is sufficient.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Easier said than done. I have told them and included screenshots, links, etc. They submitted it for the Reliability status to Ottawa and Ottawa has the final decision.

Hopefully this scanned copy directly from CBSA is sufficient.
Good luck. Let us know if they accept it.

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
Received an email back from CFSU in Europe, and they provided the notes the security office in Ottawa. The phone copy of the COPR I provided previously, had expired on 2022/03/05.
So basically they denied it and asked for me to submit a valid COPR or renewed PR Card.

I somehow missed the expiry date when I received it from CBSA yesterday, which was the same expiry date as what I submitted previously since it is the same document.

I know this is a long shot, but I have no other choice as of now. Before my flight back to Europe tonight, go back to CBSA, mention my dilemma, and see if they can extend my expiry date under these circumstances, then print out my COPR with a new expiry date. At least if that can happen, I can get through the reliability status progress.

Once again, I know this is extremely unlikely.

I am submitting my urgent PR renewal today before leaving tonight.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So basically they denied it and asked for me to submit a valid COPR or renewed PR Card.

I somehow missed the expiry date when I received it from CBSA yesterday, which was the same expiry date as what I submitted previously since it is the same document.

I know this is a long shot, but I have no other choice as of now. Before my flight back to Europe tonight, go back to CBSA, mention my dilemma, and see if they can extend my expiry date under these circumstances
No, this is what we have been talking about (and would have been the case for record of landing, too): the COPR is an historical document once you are landed. It is retained as proof that you indeed 'landed' (hence record of landing was accurate if archaic language) and COPR confirms you became a PR as of the date of signature at the border/port of entry.

The meaning of the 'expiry date' is entirely different: it was the last date on which you could have landed and become a PR. The 'offer' to become a PR expires that day. That's it.

Now that it's been signed and executed - back in 2017 or whatever - it is an historical / administrative record. CBSA will not be able to modify or extend it.

Now, the military's request is a bit problematic and arguably incorrect in that it's not generally required to have a valid PR card, and its absence does NOT mean one has lost PR status. (It's actually rather uncommon to lose it).

Unfortunately there are no rapid ways I'm aware of for us mere mortals to get a confirmation or what they are looking for. Could IRCC somehow confirm? Probably. Could military ask for confirmation? Maybe, don't know how though.

I revert to my suggestion above, try the IRCC call line, try your MP's office. Submit your PR renewal of course too.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Received an email back from CFSU in Europe, and they provided the notes the security office in Ottawa. The phone copy of the COPR I provided previously, had expired on 2022/03/05.

I know this is a long shot, but I have no other choice as of now. Before my flight back to Europe tonight, go back to CBSA, mention my dilemma, and see if they can extend my expiry date under these circumstances, then print out my COPR with a new expiry date. At least if that can happen, I can get through the reliability status progress.

Once again, I know this is extremely unlikely.

I am submitting my urgent PR renewal today before leaving tonight.
You have been posting the same issue since March. If you send an application to renew your PR card back then, you probably should have received your renewed PR card by now. Why the wait?

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
No, this is what we have been talking about (and would have been the case for record of landing, too): the COPR is an historical document once you are landed. It is retained as proof that you indeed 'landed' (hence record of landing was accurate if archaic language) and COPR confirms you became a PR as of the date of signature at the border/port of entry.

The meaning of the 'expiry date' is entirely different: it was the last date on which you could have landed and become a PR. The 'offer' to become a PR expires that day. That's it.

Now that it's been signed and executed - back in 2017 or whatever - it is an historical / administrative record. CBSA will not be able to modify or extend it.

Now, the military's request is a bit problematic and arguably incorrect in that it's not generally required to have a valid PR card, and its absence does NOT mean one has lost PR status. (It's actually rather uncommon to lose it).

Unfortunately there are no rapid ways I'm aware of for us mere mortals to get a confirmation or what they are looking for. Could IRCC somehow confirm? Probably. Could military ask for confirmation? Maybe, don't know how though.

I revert to my suggestion above, try the IRCC call line, try your MP's office. Submit your PR renewal of course too.
Thank you for your response and information. Yes, in terms of the expiry date as you mentioned, they never mentioned anything about the expiry date for the COPR as they submitted the copy I gave them to Ottawa. The only time they mentioned the expiry date was the response they sent back this morning in email to me, regarding the denial from Ottawa and what they said.

Thank you for the clarification about the expiry date! I wasn't 100% sure that is what it meant. So when my PR card is renewed, the COPR expiry date never changes, correct? Because I have already landed. Essentially the COPR does not expire since I have already landed previously 6 years ago, correct?

Anything I mentioned to CFSU, essentially is mute because of what the security office in Ottawa said to them in the denial. I can mention to them in email that the expiry date on the COPR is the time required to land, but they can't do anything about it as Ottawa has the final say.

I am trying to contact IRCC to see what can be done as well.

Don't have much time before I have my flight tonight.

Thanks again for your response. Much appreciated.