+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Clarification regarding DWI and its implications

dblooos

Nov 14, 2009
Hello Seniors,
I am under a lot of stress. Actually, on Sep1, 2010 I got arrested for Driving while Intoxicated (DWI) in USA. I have applied for Permanent Immigration to Canada under Skilled Professional category. I have already sent my documents to Buffalo Visa office including the FBI clearance certificate on July 12th, 2010. My concern is would this arrest any way affect me getting my PR in Canada. Do they ask for another clearance at the time of Interview. I have no clue what are the options, I have in my hand. One of my friend was telling me that DWI in Canada is considered as a very serious offence. However, in USA it is considered as a misdemeanor. I am already very regretful of the stupid mistake that I have done. But can any body help me in figuring out what are the implications of this incident on my application. I am on F1(student visa) in USA and I am from India. Please reply what should I do and what are the impacts..

Thanks in Advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dblooos said:
Hello Seniors,
I am under a lot of stress. Actually, on Sep1, 2010 I got arrested for Driving while Intoxicated (DWI) in USA. I have applied for Permanent Immigration to Canada under Skilled Professional category. I have already sent my documents to Buffalo Visa office including the FBI clearance certificate on July 12th, 2010. My concern is would this arrest any way affect me getting my PR in Canada. Do they ask for another clearance at the time of Interview. I have no clue what are the options, I have in my hand. One of my friend was telling me that DWI in Canada is considered as a very serious offence. However, in USA it is considered as a misdemeanor. I am already very regretful of the stupid mistake that I have done. But can any body help me in figuring out what are the implications of this incident on my application. I am on F1(student visa) in USA and I am from India. Please reply what should I do and what are the impacts..

Thanks in Advance.
You get convicted of DWI, it makes you inadmissible to Canada as a visitor or permanent resident.

saichandra

Mar 17, 2010
Hi

Am not aware of DWI or certain rulz, but i heard that application received under FSW under the IT category after June 2010 are gonna simply get rejected...contact ur consultant for more info

Good Luck

dblooos

Nov 14, 2009
PMM,
I have not yet been convicted of DWI. The hearing is on Jan 15 2011. I am not sure what would happen there. But, I have already sent all the Police and FBI clearance certificates to Buffalo Visa Office. Do they check it at the interview stage too.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
They do their own background investigation, it doesn't end with the PCCs. And even if by some miracle your PR is finalized before your court case, you can still lose your PR status with a conviction (doesn't matter that it's a misdemeanor in the US, it is a criminal offense in Canada and is therefore treated as such even if the incident was in the USA).

So, yes, your PR status is in jeopardy, sooner or later...

You will have to decide how important this is to you - because if you want to avoid the conviction, you will probably need a good lawyer on each side of the border. Read here for a start...

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000676

maltaise

Apr 29, 2011
USA/CMR
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dblooos said:
Hello Seniors,

Thanks in Advance.
any answers to the outcome of your situation? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, could you tell me what happened with your case ? I am in a sams dilemma.
You're responding to a thread that is almost 10 years old. Best to provide the details of your case so that people can comment. DWIs generally make you inadmissible to Canada.