+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent - Can we do Extension of Spouse Open Work permit and PGWP through Flag Poling?

karthikgdv@gmail.com

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
Hi all,

I completed my masters (2 years) in Canada and applied for PGWP on September 8th 2017 ,but current processing time which it is going to take 80 business days, i.e. January 5th 2018.But meanwhile my study permit going to end by November 30th 2017. I am currently working in NOC B job with full time offer letter and 3 paystubs.

My study permit ends - November 30 2017
Applied PGWP on - September 8th 2017
Estimated PGWP decision (as per CIC) - January 5th 2018
--------------------------------------------------------------
As a dependent of me, My spouse came on open work permit and which her status going to end on November 30 th 2017 (where my study permit ends). She is currently working in NOC B job with full time offer letter and more than 3 paystubs.

Her open work permit ends - November 30 2017
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this situation if I want to file her work permit extension, she definitely required my PGWP (approved ones) it seems, which I don't get till January 5th 2018, so obviously she need to quit her job and need to apply for visiting visa.

But we both want to lose her job . Hence we are thinking about Flag poling at USA as our last option.
1. I am planning to get my PGWP through flag poling? Can I do that?

2. Once if I got my PGWP , can my spouse do flag poling to her open work permit extension by showing my PGWP, my offer letter/pay stubs and her offer letter/Pay stubs, marriage certificate etc.

Please clarify.

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
I can definately answer on your second question. Just last week we did it for my spouse on basis of my PGWP.
we've flag poled in BC, near Vancouer Roberts point.
here some tips:

1. 3 Pay stubs
It looks like payslips of spouse are quite important
And also we were told by inspector that for spouse to receive work permit I should have been working 6 weeks and have 3 pay stubs.
Its good that Vlad's visa delayed and we went to border when I have 5.5 weeks and 2 pay stubs. One inspector from the beginning started to tell this but another one somehow persuade her to continue with as it is ( I told also them that my spouse permit and visa expires very soon thats why we can't wait for my 3d paystub and also that we were told that payslips are actually additional documents not obligatory - they were surprised to hear that. this is strange - nowhere on cic site you can't find about it - thanks again for telling)

2. Spouse availability at the border

I don't have visa - I didn't go to USA border but I easily get into the Canada one - its the same for entrance and exit actually.
I am not sure whether its obligatory but they were asking me about my work - it was good I was there.

3. NOC is great to have on job offer as well as printed version from official site
they saw my NOC in job offer but I forgot to point her the print page about NOC before they asked us to go out and wait and she spent quite a time by looking for it in google

Reactions: sirjoe and talhu

karthikgdv@gmail.com

Star Member
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks AlexandrO for your clear cut answers.

But we both offer letters does not have specific NOC number, they mentioned with my "role" in my job. If we look that role (designation) in NOC codes list it matches with B. Is it sufficient?

talhu

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
I can definately answer on your second question. Just last week we did it for my spouse on basis of my PGWP.
we've flag poled in BC, near Vancouer Roberts point.
here some tips:

1. 3 Pay stubs
It looks like payslips of spouse are quite important
And also we were told by inspector that for spouse to receive work permit I should have been working 6 weeks and have 3 pay stubs.
Its good that Vlad's visa delayed and we went to border when I have 5.5 weeks and 2 pay stubs. One inspector from the beginning started to tell this but another one somehow persuade her to continue with as it is ( I told also them that my spouse permit and visa expires very soon thats why we can't wait for my 3d paystub and also that we were told that payslips are actually additional documents not obligatory - they were surprised to hear that. this is strange - nowhere on cic site you can't find about it - thanks again for telling)

2. Spouse availability at the border

I don't have visa - I didn't go to USA border but I easily get into the Canada one - its the same for entrance and exit actually.
I am not sure whether its obligatory but they were asking me about my work - it was good I was there.

3. NOC is great to have on job offer as well as printed version from official site
they saw my NOC in job offer but I forgot to point her the print page about NOC before they asked us to go out and wait and she spent quite a time by looking for it in google
Hi,
Great info!
What did they asked you about your work?

Reactions: AlexandraO

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
Thanks AlexandrO for your clear cut answers.

But we both offer letters does not have specific NOC number, they mentioned with my "role" in my job. If we look that role (designation) in NOC codes list it matches with B. Is it sufficient?
sorry for late reply, for some reason I haven't received notification from forum.
Anyhow I don't know. It should be suffiecient - just make your life easier having NOC.
How was your flag pole? did you do it?

Mohit_ind

Dec 18, 2015
Hi
I am on a SOWP since 2016. My wife passed out her Masters and now is working as a Consultant in a MNC here. Her PGWP is yet to come as she applied for it on 18th Jan.
Now the issue is my SOWP expires on 31st march and if my wife's PGWP doesn't come by then I can't apply for mine on time. Can I get it on the border (flagpoling) if I take her along with her pay stubs her PGWP etc !
Thanks in advance for your valuable response.

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
Hi,

I am recently graduated international student and have applied for PGWP on Jan 9th, 2019. My study permit is valid until Jul 30, 2019.

My spouse's open work permit was approved in Nov 2018 but didn't travel to Canada yet. My spouse intends to travel in May 2019 and the original SOWP will expire on Jul 30, 2019. However, I will have my PGWP by then but I am looking for guidance with the following:

1. Can my spouse apply for his OWP extension at the port of entry based on my PGWP? What additional documents are required if that's possible?
2. If the extension is not possible at the port of entry, will my spouse face any issues?
3. Can we apply online before his arrival and show proof of application at the port of entry? Is this acceptable?

I greatly appreciate your help and support in advance.

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am recently graduated international student and have applied for PGWP on Jan 9th, 2019. My study permit is valid until Jul 30, 2019.

My spouse's open work permit was approved in Nov 2018 but didn't travel to Canada yet. My spouse intends to travel in May 2019 and the original SOWP will expire on Jul 30, 2019. However, I will have my PGWP by then but I am looking for guidance with the following:

1. Can my spouse apply for his OWP extension at the port of entry based on my PGWP? What additional documents are required if that's possible?
2. If the extension is not possible at the port of entry, will my spouse face any issues?
3. Can we apply online before his arrival and show proof of application at the port of entry? Is this acceptable?

I greatly appreciate your help and support in advance.

Thank you!
You need a skilled job with 3 payslips for your spouse to qualify for an OWP based on your PGWP.

1. He can try upon entry but may be told to apply once in Canada.

2. He should have no issues entering an applying for the extension.

3. He can't apply for an extension when he doesn't actually have a work permit yet.

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
You need a skilled job with 3 payslips for your spouse to qualify for an OWP based on your PGWP.

1. He can try upon entry but may be told to apply once in Canada.

2. He should have no issues entering an applying for the extension.

3. He can't apply for an extension when he doesn't actually have a work permit yet.
Thank you for your prompt response.

EEMduShan

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
Can anyone please help?

My AOR is on Aug 13th(CEC) and I have applied my BOWP on December 17th. My work permits going to expire on Feb 10th.
I knew we can continue working, but my Q is, do I need to renew my SIN num, because my SIN num also expires on Feb 10th. How will my employee pay? Please provide me the details

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can anyone please help?

My AOR is on Aug 13th(CEC) and I have applied my BOWP on December 17th. My work permits going to expire on Feb 10th.
I knew we can continue working, but my Q is, do I need to renew my SIN num, because my SIN num also expires on Feb 10th. How will my employee pay? Please provide me the details
You can't renew your SIN on Implied Status. Your employer can continue paying you with the current SIN.