+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unique Situation

zeusnmn

Sep 29, 2014
Hey Folks,

Hope someone could shed light on this

I applied for citizenship and got the test call for Oct 3, I do not have my foreign national passport and PR card with me right now since I applied for renewal with the local embassy here, I am not expecting my passport for another 2 weeks. I have letter proof that the passport renewal application is processing and all the documents that were requested as a part of it. I wanted to know what I could I do in this case to be allowed to sit for exam. I do have all the copies of all the documents with me.

Please advise.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Call CIC and get the agent's advice on this. Write down the agent's name and the time and date of the call. I'm not sure what the official advice will be, but they will either advise you to go to the test or advise you to request a rescheduling of the test. Either way, it will be good to note the name of the agent in case something gets lost in the CIC mail room (as they sometimes do) and you need to contact CIC or your MP again to show that you were following official instructions and didn't "miss" the test or whatnot.

Question: Why don't you have you PR card? It makes sense that you wouldn't have your passport during passport renewal, but I'm not sure why your home country would require your PR card as well. CIC doesn't take old PR cards until the new one is provided, so that doesn't seem like the reason.

Regardless, your passport is the most important document. PR card is not generally necessary.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
When I got my test notice, my passport was for renewal too, what I did is I called my consulate if I can borrow my passport, and yes they allowed me to borrow it!
I was worried that if I don't have my passport I might get an RQ if they can't verify the stamps.
Try calling your consulate if you can borrow the passport, if not, do you have photocopies of all the pages of the passport? that might help too

What happened to your pr card? Is it for renewal too?

janoo

May 16, 2014
Call your consulate and get back your passport easy to handle your home country

consulate... and if you unable to get and inform CIC and take his/her advise

and write complete name and address... your effort should be in direction to

attend test...... this is in my view most important.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
IMO, during the test, they really need to verify the stamps in your passport. If you cannot get the original one, better reschedule the test instead of telling them this or that. They will give you a new date which is 2 months later the most. But if you get a Ridiculous Queue (RQ), it is going to be like the Electrolux ad : When the guy first bought the washing machine, he was still young with lots of hair. Then he got married, and the couple posed in front of the washer. Then they were washing their babies' cloth with the same washer. And then again using the same washer, his wife is washing their daughter's graduation uniform. The guy is already bald and old. It lasts forever.

zeusnmn

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks everyone!

That's typical Indian consulate case, they need your PR card as well which is insane

I will try my luck calling consulate and see what can I do here, I have a strong feeling I might get a new date which is not what I want.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
zeusnmn said:
Hey Folks,

Hope someone could shed light on this

I applied for citizenship and got the test call for Oct 3, I do not have my foreign national passport and PR card with me right now since I applied for renewal with the local embassy here, I am not expecting my passport for another 2 weeks. I have letter proof that the passport renewal application is processing and all the documents that were requested as a part of it. I wanted to know what I could I do in this case to be allowed to sit for exam. I do have all the copies of all the documents with me.

Please advise.
Couple of things you can do, request the Embassy to expedite issuing of your renewed passport. Request them to issue a certificate on their letter stating explaining the situation. Write a letter to CIC, attached copies of your passport, PR card, Embassay' receipt and if possible a letter explaining, ask CIC to grant you permission to show these doc's instead of original passport and PR card.

If the CIC put a note on your file or send you an official letter, that would be very helpful. As we dont know in absence of original passport official, if the official would accept those receipt or reject it. Better, take pre-caution well in advance. Wish you all the best.

londonOntario

Star Member
Jan 14, 2010
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should not have applied for renewal at this crucial time. You are playing with fire.
I read somewhere that a candidate called CIC to postpone his oath date and he got an RQ.
How are they going to verify your entry exit stamps now? It seems like a sure shot RQ to me.
I'd say, go to embassy tomorrow morning and demand your passport back immediately. Withdraw your renewal application. You'll get it back.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to clarify: There's nothing wrong with renewing your passport. This isn't suspicious. This is something people do. CIC will be able to deal with it (probably by rescheduling the test and interview with little fanfare).

I really really doubt this would trigger an RQ. The poster who reported receiving RQ after trying to reschedule the oath was traveling for a number of months and, judging from the forum posts, perhaps a bit impetuous. We don't know what happened on the CIC phone calls or what other triggers he did not share with us. While it's good to avoid rescheduling if at all possible there are dozens of reports on the forums of people rescheduling without problems.

I recommend you try to expedite your passport if you can. If not call CIC and ask them what to do. They will know what to do. You will not be the first caller with this challenge. Hold onto your documentation showing that the consulate has your passport. Note the name of the call centre agent. And if possible find an official, public document stating (in English) that India requires PR cards as well for passport renewal of overseas Indian citizens.

Good luck. It'll be fine.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
he didn't know when will the test notice arrive, same as mine, I didn't know
I have to renew my passport because it's expired and I need to go to the US
he doesn't need to withdraw the renewal, just ask if he can borrow for 1 day
as for reschedule of the test, will there be enough time? as you have to write a letter not just call
CIC to reschedule it :-X