+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undergoing Legal Name change(middle name) because of marriage (Philippines)

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Just an update.

I think I've come to a solution.. Keep my middle name, and have my surname changed to a hyphenated surname (which I can do with only a marriage certificate) on my Alberta ID's.

so my name on my citizenship application will be CHRIS ANNE GO CHU-LEE. This way, my name will still be in its "correct" form, and I don't have to do a Legal Name Change.

It is still not gonna match my Philippine passport though, but I'll just explain the way middle names work in the Philippines, and hoping that they accept that. Anyway, when I become a Canadian citizenship, the Philippine passport won't mean anything anyway coz I wont be keeping my Philippine citizenship.

Only thing is, I have to wait for 1-2 weeks for my new Alberta ID's to arrive (because I had them changed yesterday to CHRIS ANNE GO LEE) and then have them changed again to the hyphenated surname.
Good morning.
Just want to know what given name you used for your citizenship application? Did you still keep it same as COPR? Or you proceeded with the hyphenated name? Thank you

MD25

Apr 7, 2020
Just an update.

I think I've come to a solution.. Keep my middle name, and have my surname changed to a hyphenated surname (which I can do with only a marriage certificate) on my Alberta ID's.

so my name on my citizenship application will be CHRIS ANNE GO CHU-LEE. This way, my name will still be in its "correct" form, and I don't have to do a Legal Name Change.

It is still not gonna match my Philippine passport though, but I'll just explain the way middle names work in the Philippines, and hoping that they accept that. Anyway, when I become a Canadian citizenship, the Philippine passport won't mean anything anyway coz I wont be keeping my Philippine citizenship.

Only thing is, I have to wait for 1-2 weeks for my new Alberta ID's to arrive (because I had them changed yesterday to CHRIS ANNE GO LEE) and then have them changed again to the hyphenated surname.
Hi I know this was 9 years ago. I just want an update with your application. What name you end up use and approved on your citizenship. Did you use the name provided by your philippine passport or the hyphenated surname? Please kindly answer. I have the same situation right now. Thank you