+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undeclared work experience on PGWP

KENNY0861

May 11, 2022
Hello everyone, thank you for reading my question. I have a question about adding work experience that I did not declare on my study permit and PGWP to my Express Entry profile. Not sure if this would cause misrepresentation. Hope you can give me some advice.
To summarize, I have added a timeline to better explain my case:
  • Apr 01, 2018 - Applied for study visa in my home country
  • Apr 04, 2018 - found a contract job for 3 months (to earn some extra cash obviously)
  • April 20, 2018 - study visa approved
  • July 10, 2018 - ended contract job
  • August 20, 2018 came to Canada
My concern is whether adding this job would cause misrepresentation??? I obviously did not try to hide this experience whatoever on my study visa application because I had not earned the experience yet when I submitted my application. However, I did not declare that on my PGWP application. I was afraid to have job discripency between study visa and pgwp so I entered the same work history on my PGWP application like my study visa, plus the international student advisor at my university said PGWP approval is based on CAD education and it is not material to affect the IRCC officer decision so it does not matter to add the experience or not. Therefore, I did not add this experience on my PGWP.

Can you guys give me some advice on this matter? is it a serious issue?

Vandir

Jul 3, 2022
This may be too late a reply but this may calm you a little.

It always depends on the officer but I imagine it’s probably not an issue.

Every ircc work permit instruction form (eg guide 5580) explicitly states that NO INFORMATION is required re: work history for PGWP. A lot of people put it anyway out of paranoia but they probably can’t say you misrepresented something material if you left out something they say you don’t need to include. Further it would seem pretty unreasonable for them to throw a fit over failing to update them over 2 weeks of employment during your first application. I believe you technically have a duty to, but the only misrep allegation for failure to update I’ve heard of involves months-long failure to update on a child and other pre-existing secret relatives. Part of the test is that the misrepresentation needs to be significant enough to effect the screening process in some way.

My only concern would be if you noted a bunch of other work history such that it appeared you were deliberately hiding a prior misrepresentation.

If that were the case it might be worth talking with immigration counsel about future plans (delaying future applications so you can safely be honest for example, or preparing a strong LOE).

Please keep us updated though, a lot of people ghost after submitting their application and it makes it hard to know how effective certain LOE’s or what issues are serious enough to need urgent legal advice.

KENNY0861

May 11, 2022
Hi @vandi, thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate this part? Not sure if I understand it correctly: "My only concern would be if you noted a bunch of other work history such that it appeared you were deliberately hiding a prior misrepresentation."

Vandir

Jul 3, 2022
Basically, I think there’d be a difference in how an officer looked at it if your PGWP application appeared to deliberately hide a previously omitted job (e.g. listing all your work history in the past 10 years except that job) versus something that could reasonably be interpreted as just following the instructions and declining to answer an optional question (NA, study history, etc.)

KENNY0861

May 11, 2022
I see, I did list all my job experiences. Technically speaking, I copied the job experiences section directly from my study visa so the work experiences are the same under study and PGWP. About that job, do you think that matter? From what you said, it is misrepresentation only when I hide something that could affect visa officer's decision. Back to my case, PGWP approval only depends on length of education/program, not work experience, so it doesn't matter I put that job or not. Any idea???

Vandir

Jul 3, 2022
It’s hard to say, I’d speak with a lawyer. I dm’d you some information about my (limited) knowledge of the legal test.

A G R

Sep 19, 2024
Hi. Due to misunderstanding there are only three columns given for work history in the Study permit and study permit extension application I filled only three of my six foreign work experience. Now I understood that I can attach additional forms and so is it okay and advisable that now in my pgwp application I mention all my six work experiences and attach a letter of explanation mentioning my earlier misunderstanding and hence justifying why I am adding my other work experience . Thank you . Please help.