+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undeclared Common-Law Relationship in Previous Co-op Work Permit

bers.ok

Mar 6, 2024
Hello everyone,

I hope someone would answer my question:

My girlfriend and I are both on Study Permit, we both studied in Canada and apply Co-op Work Permit during university. We started living together in November 2021. When we applied for our Co-op Work Permit in February 2023, we both didn't declare we were common-law at the time (living together for 15 months already). We were both lacking knowledge about Canadian law on common law and had no idea that we automatically became common-law partners when living together for 12 months and had to change our status. Now, we are planning to apply PGWP this June/July 2024 (separately). I want to correct the mistake now since we didn't declare we are common-law on our previous Co-op Work Permit application. And eventually, we will apply for PR and don't want this mistake back then to be fatal at that time.

I admit it was our fault, but mistakes were made, and I don't know what to do. Is there any way we can fix it?

I would like to listen to your opinions and how we can make up for our mistakes. Your help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I hope someone would answer my question:

My girlfriend and I are both on Study Permit, we both studied in Canada and apply Co-op Work Permit during university. We started living together in November 2021. When we applied for our Co-op Work Permit in February 2023, we both didn't declare we were common-law at the time (living together for 15 months already). We were both lacking knowledge about Canadian law on common law and had no idea that we automatically became common-law partners when living together for 12 months and had to change our status. Now, we are planning to apply PGWP this June/July 2024 (separately). I want to correct the mistake now since we didn't declare we are common-law on our previous Co-op Work Permit application. And eventually, we will apply for PR and don't want this mistake back then to be fatal at that time.

I admit it was our fault, but mistakes were made, and I don't know what to do. Is there any way we can fix it?

I would like to listen to your opinions and how we can make up for our mistakes. Your help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
You both need to send in a webform apologizing to your error and explaining that the concept of common law status was not something that you were familiar with so you incorrectly indicated that you were single not common law. Would include proof of when you moved in together and indicate when you officially became common law. The list of documents that can be used should be online but things like a lease, utility bills with your names and dates, etc. If you have not indicated that you are common law to CRA you both need to inform a CRA of when you became common law. Depending on any type of benefits you have through your employer, if you are employed, you should also update your employer that you are common law because your partner would likely qualify for things like extended benefit program.

bers.ok

Mar 6, 2024
We have already notified CRA. Thank you so much for your comment!!
You both need to send in a webform apologizing to your error and explaining that the concept of common law status was not something that you were familiar with so you incorrectly indicated that you were single not common law. Would include proof of when you moved in together and indicate when you officially became common law. The list of documents that can be used should be online but things like a lease, utility bills with your names and dates, etc. If you have not indicated that you are common law to CRA you both need to inform a CRA of when you became common law. Depending on any type of benefits you have through your employer, if you are employed, you should also update your employer that you are common law because your partner would likely qualify for things like extended benefit program.
We've already notified CRA. Thank you so much for your advice!!