+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unauthorized work on maintained status after graduation before PGWP

jivvytss

May 18, 2022
Hi,

My study permit expired on April 30th, 2022 and I applied for study permit extension on March 13th 2022. After confirming several times with the TA applications team I was told repeatedly that I am eligible to work as a TA and therefore accepted a TA contract starting May 6th 2022. My degree completion letter was generated May 3rd and the Senate completion letter (which I will use for PGWP) is dated 17th May.
However, on May 17th 2022, I found that I am not eligible to work after competition letter and emailed the university to cancel any further payment and hopefully revert the payment upto May 6th, if possible. I have not done any work in this TA positions yet and was only enrolled in payroll.
Since I am on maintained status, I have not applied for PGWP yet and am waiting for study permit extension approval to apply for PGWP.
My questions are:
1. How serious is this overlook on my part?
2. Is it illegal to work on maintained status?
3. If it illegal to work on campus (with previous employer) for 1-15 days after competition letter
4. Should this be disclosed in the PGWP (applying in June 2022) and/or FSW PR application (applying in July 2022). I do not intend to use this or any Canadian work ex in my future PR application (FSW).
5. I am told by university representative that I can't work now until PGWP is approved. However, I have a very good job offer which I will lose if I wait for PGWP approval. Can I work after applying for PGWP? Is there a way around?

I have email thread with my university where I confirmed if I am eligible to work time an again and clearly stated intent to abide by the law. How much trouble am I in?

Thanks!

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
If I were you, I'd include an explanation concerning TA roles you worked on throughout your program and perhaps get a letter from your department indicating the hours you worked and that it was an "on campus" job and that you did not work beyond May 6th or the day you received your completion letter. If you applied for PGWP on maintained status, you could not work until you receive the final approval of PGWP.

In my understanding, any employment after completing your study (in the form of written confirmation from school) and before you apply for PGWP is not authorized, unless you start a new program of study and applied for a SP instead. This might be useful, https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1472&top=15

Good luck; I'm in the same boat, preparing for my PGWP application. Did you receive your approval yet?