+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to provide police check - will CIC be ok with the following?

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
I'm gong to attach the following statement in place of my Chinese police certificate. Can you guys tell me if I need to provide any more proof than this?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------

From February 2014 until December 2014, I lived in Chengdu, China. As this period was longer than 6 months, I am aware that CIC wants a police clearance certificate from China. According to the CIC website about police certificates, for non-Chinese citizens residing outside China, the procedure to obtain a certificate is:

Different cities have different ways to apply and you should ask your local office how to apply. Most places in China will allow a representative to apply for a police certificate on your behalf. To nominate a representative, you must give the person a signed notarized authorisation letter (available at the office where you apply). When your representative applies on your behalf, he or she must bring:
• His or her national ID card
• A signed notarised authorisation letter from you
• His/her original Permanent Residence Registration (Hukou) booklet
• All of the documents that your local police station (in China) or embassy tells you are needed when you apply

(CIC, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/china.asp)​

I have tried, unsuccessfully to contact the Public Security Bureau (PSB) in Chengdu, and had to resort to contacting the British Consulate in Chongqing, and the Canadian Consulate in Beijing for assistance. I have also contacted several private companies with the hope of enlisting their services to help me obtain a police certificate.

According to my correspondence with the British Consulate, Chengdu PSB do not allow representatives to apply for police certificates on the behalf of applicants. They instead said that all applications must be made in person and all documents provided must be original.

According to the Canadian Embassy in Beijing I would need to supply the following:
- Your original passport(s) (or copy of passport(s) – including both the current passport and any old passports on which the Chinese visa was attached
- Residence permit
- A letter from the work unit or university/school where you worked or studied while in China and
- Work permit
- Employment Contract

I am unable to travel to Chengdu, China in person for the following reasons:
- I am a full time international student at an Australian University. A condition of my visa is to attend 75% of my classes in person and not online. By leaving Australia to travel to China, I would be breaching the conditions of my student visa.
- The process involved in travelling to China would be time consuming and costly for the following reasons:
- Obtaining a Chinese visitor visa
- Short notice air travel to Chengdu
- Hotel accommodation for duration of stay
- Uncertainty of processing time meaning an open ticket
- 7 business day processing time for Police Check
- 7 business day processing time for notarization
- I would need to take approximately 1 month off my studies and work to travel and wait for the police check

Also, according to the Canadian Consulate in Beijing, I would need to provide a copy of my work contract. I no longer have this document and according to the HR manager of my previous employer, all teacher contracts were lost when they closed down their head office in Chengdu and relocated to a new building.

I have attached copies of all correspondence involved in attempting to get a Chinese police certificate. I have included conversations and documents:
- HR manager for my previous employer
- The British Consulate Chongqing
- The Canadian Consulate Beijing
- Private companies who assist people with obtaining police checks saying they cannot help me.
- Australian Student Visa with visa conditions

----------------------------------------------------------------------

After this I will include all my correspondence with the above people and documents.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
No one can say for sure that this will be accepted. I would try it. I have heard of a few people who could not get a police certificate, explained the circumstances, and whose explanations were accepted by CIC.

If they don't accept it, either they will return everything at the sponsor stage, or they will ask for it later on when assessing the applicant. In which case this gives you more time to try to get the certificate.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
canadianwoman said:
No one can say for sure that this will be accepted. I would try it. I have heard of a few people who could not get a police certificate, explained the circumstances, and whose explanations were accepted by CIC.

If they don't accept it, either they will return everything at the sponsor stage, or they will ask for it later on when assessing the applicant. In which case this gives you more time to try to get the certificate.
Thanks! I know there is no certainty with this. Depends on how CIC handle it. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in terms of the reasons why I can't get it.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
I think you've covered this well. The only thing I noticed from this is you said you are a full-time student at an Aussie uni. Did you provide proof you will be moving to Canada? I just thought I'd mention this so you don't end up with a doc request about it, you might want to tell them if/when you are graduating or whatever the relevant information is.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Aquakitty said:
I think you've covered this well. The only thing I noticed from this is you said you are a full-time student at an Aussie uni. Did you provide proof you will be moving to Canada? I just thought I'd mention this so you don't end up with a doc request about it, you might want to tell them if/when you are graduating or whatever the relevant information is.
I graduate in November this year which I'll provide proof of. Were saying we intend to return in march 2017 when our aussie visa expires.
We cant provide proof of us quitting our jobs or stuff but we have started emailing real estate agents in calgary, and well have proof of family saying theyll set us up. Also got some facebook messages with friends we already know in calgary asking about where to live etc. Also got proof of funds in canada.
Think that'll do.

Thanks for the advice re the police checks. Still nervous though

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband had a statement at the very end of his letter that said something like: Please take this letter as my sworn statement that I was never arrested, charged and/or convicted while in [country] from [date] to [date] and that I was a fully law-abiding resident for the duration of my stay.

That wording is messy but hopefully you get the idea.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
scylla said:
My husband had a statement at the very end of his letter that said something like: Please take this letter as my sworn statement that I was never arrested, charged and/or convicted while in [country] from [date] to [date] and that I was a fully law-abiding resident for the duration of my stay.

That wording is messy but hopefully you get the idea.
Thanks Scylla. I will include a statment at the end of mine also then.

Which police cert was your husband unable to get? How much info did he provide?
So far my letter plus evidence for the police cert is about 15 pages.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Gary_87 said:
Thanks Scylla. I will include a statment at the end of mine also then.

Which police cert was your husband unable to get? How much info did he provide?
So far my letter plus evidence for the police cert is about 15 pages.
My husband's circumstances were different than yours. He was unable to obtain a PCC for Kuwait. He lived there for a year and a half in the 80's (he's an American). The reason why he couldn't obtain the PCC is because all of the police records from that period were destroyed in the war so it's literally impossible for anyone to get one for that period (they have no record of my husband being there). We included a one page letter and a few email print outs from embassies / consulates we had contacted who replied and told us it was impossible. We also included a print out from a US government web site that stated the same.

Anyway - letter worked for us. My husband's application was processed in just over four months.

Reactions: ALTaylor

Hashipk

Jun 29, 2015
Faisalabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Soon
Med's Request
Upfront: 21-10-2015
Gary_87 said:
I'm gong to attach the following statement in place of my Chinese police certificate. Can you guys tell me if I need to provide any more proof than this?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------

From February 2014 until December 2014, I lived in Chengdu, China. As this period was longer than 6 months, I am aware that CIC wants a police clearance certificate from China. According to the CIC website about police certificates, for non-Chinese citizens residing outside China, the procedure to obtain a certificate is:

Different cities have different ways to apply and you should ask your local office how to apply. Most places in China will allow a representative to apply for a police certificate on your behalf. To nominate a representative, you must give the person a signed notarized authorisation letter (available at the office where you apply). When your representative applies on your behalf, he or she must bring:
• His or her national ID card
• A signed notarised authorisation letter from you
• His/her original Permanent Residence Registration (Hukou) booklet
• All of the documents that your local police station (in China) or embassy tells you are needed when you apply

(CIC, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/china.asp)​

I have tried, unsuccessfully to contact the Public Security Bureau (PSB) in Chengdu, and had to resort to contacting the British Consulate in Chongqing, and the Canadian Consulate in Beijing for assistance. I have also contacted several private companies with the hope of enlisting their services to help me obtain a police certificate.

According to my correspondence with the British Consulate, Chengdu PSB do not allow representatives to apply for police certificates on the behalf of applicants. They instead said that all applications must be made in person and all documents provided must be original.

According to the Canadian Embassy in Beijing I would need to supply the following:
- Your original passport(s) (or copy of passport(s) – including both the current passport and any old passports on which the Chinese visa was attached
- Residence permit
- A letter from the work unit or university/school where you worked or studied while in China and
- Work permit
- Employment Contract

I am unable to travel to Chengdu, China in person for the following reasons:
- I am a full time international student at an Australian University. A condition of my visa is to attend 75% of my classes in person and not online. By leaving Australia to travel to China, I would be breaching the conditions of my student visa.
- The process involved in travelling to China would be time consuming and costly for the following reasons:
- Obtaining a Chinese visitor visa
- Short notice air travel to Chengdu
- Hotel accommodation for duration of stay
- Uncertainty of processing time meaning an open ticket
- 7 business day processing time for Police Check
- 7 business day processing time for notarization
- I would need to take approximately 1 month off my studies and work to travel and wait for the police check

Also, according to the Canadian Consulate in Beijing, I would need to provide a copy of my work contract. I no longer have this document and according to the HR manager of my previous employer, all teacher contracts were lost when they closed down their head office in Chengdu and relocated to a new building.

I have attached copies of all correspondence involved in attempting to get a Chinese police certificate. I have included conversations and documents:
- HR manager for my previous employer
- The British Consulate Chongqing
- The Canadian Consulate Beijing
- Private companies who assist people with obtaining police checks saying they cannot help me.
- Australian Student Visa with visa conditions

----------------------------------------------------------------------

After this I will include all my correspondence with the above people and documents.
I am also in sme situation didn't get PCC from UAE due to visa cancellation. Hope for best.
On spouse case most of time visa office accept explanation letter.
Kindly u keep in touch for further update. Is it accepted or not.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
scylla said:
My husband's circumstances were different than yours. He was unable to obtain a PCC for Kuwait. He lived there for a year and a half in the 80's (he's an American). The reason why he couldn't obtain the PCC is because all of the police records from that period were destroyed in the war so it's literally impossible for anyone to get one for that period (they have no record of my husband being there). We included a one page letter and a few email print outs from embassies / consulates we had contacted who replied and told us it was impossible. We also included a print out from a US government web site that stated the same.

Anyway - letter worked for us. My husband's application was processed in just over four months.
Ah yes I remember you saying now. Yeah, very different circumstances. Impossible to get yorus whereas mine is possible, minus all the reasons why I cant above. hope it goes ok! Thanks!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Hashipk said:
I am also in sme situation didn't get PCC from UAE due to visa cancellation. Hope for best.
On spouse case most of time visa office accept explanation letter.
Kindly u keep in touch for further update. Is it accepted or not.
Have you submitted your application already? I'll keep you updated my end! Hopefully submitting in a couple weeks. Waiting on other police certs!

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
Hell, CIC has given DM to Americans who just sent in a receipt showing they applied for the FBI check, and never actually supplied it to them.

Hashipk

Jun 29, 2015
Faisalabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Soon
Med's Request
Upfront: 21-10-2015
Gary_87 said:
Have you submitted your application already? I'll keep you updated my end! Hopefully submitting in a couple weeks. Waiting on other police certs!
Going to apply in week InshAllah.
I will keep to update you if possible send me your whatsapp and email I'd in inbox.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
canadausa#11 said:
Hell, CIC has given DM to Americans who just sent in a receipt showing they applied for the FBI check, and never actually supplied it to them.
Yeah seems like it should be ok. Wont know unless they contact me so heres to zero contact from CiC except copr!