+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two Year Open Permit Extension

TonyGoodwin

Jul 28, 2018
Hi There,

Sorry in advance if asking for help on this page isn't the right thread, although if answers are found I believe that many people will find this useful.

I am currently in Canada nearing the end of my two year open work visa. I am originally from New Zealand, and wish to extend the duration for a little under 6 months.

I currently work two jobs, my partner is in the exact same position as me regarding visa status and also wants to extend.

Our employer(s) will hire us again for the winter (seasonal ski work) if we can stay, however at the end of summer before winter begins (off season) we are technically fired for about 5 weeks, then re-hired. Due to the nature of the work I don't think we're able to get them to provide the Job extension ("we can't hire local") exemption so I am wondering if anyone knows a resource or company/person that might be able to help me figure this out.

I've spent a lot of time doing eligibility tests online, but some of the questions are somewhat confusing, and I am yet to be able to get an actual human on the phone to talk to.

Once again, I appreciate any help I can get, and if I'm in the wrong spot, leading me to the right place would also be great.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi There,

Sorry in advance if asking for help on this page isn't the right thread, although if answers are found I believe that many people will find this useful.

I am currently in Canada nearing the end of my two year open work visa. I am originally from New Zealand, and wish to extend the duration for a little under 6 months.

I currently work two jobs, my partner is in the exact same position as me regarding visa status and also wants to extend.

Our employer(s) will hire us again for the winter (seasonal ski work) if we can stay, however at the end of summer before winter begins (off season) we are technically fired for about 5 weeks, then re-hired. Due to the nature of the work I don't think we're able to get them to provide the Job extension ("we can't hire local") exemption so I am wondering if anyone knows a resource or company/person that might be able to help me figure this out.

I've spent a lot of time doing eligibility tests online, but some of the questions are somewhat confusing, and I am yet to be able to get an actual human on the phone to talk to.

Once again, I appreciate any help I can get, and if I'm in the wrong spot, leading me to the right place would also be great.
It's not possible to extend your current work permits.

If you want to remain in Canada and work longer, you would need to obtain a closed work permit. Closed work permits are tied to a specific employer and job. So one closed work permit would allow you to work for one employer only. To be able to apply for a closed work permit, your employer must go through the LMIA process and obtain an approved LMIA (permission to hire a foreign worker). The first step of the LMIA process is to advertise the job for at least a month in at least thee approved places to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. The LMIA application then needs to be submitted (along with a $1K fee) for processing which typically takes 2-4 months - with no guarantee of approval. Based on what you've said, it sounds like neither of your employers are willing to go through the LMIA process? If that's the case, I unfortunately don't see any options that would allow you to stay and continue working.

If you had qualified and already applied for permanent residency through an economic immigration program like Express Entry, there could be options to obtain a bridging open work permit (once you are selected, your application submitted and accepted). However it doesn't sound like that's something you have done or explored.

TonyGoodwin

Jul 28, 2018
It's not possible to extend your current work permits.

If you want to remain in Canada and work longer, you would need to obtain a closed work permit. Closed work permits are tied to a specific employer and job. So one closed work permit would allow you to work for one employer only. To be able to apply for a closed work permit, your employer must go through the LMIA process and obtain an approved LMIA (permission to hire a foreign worker). The first step of the LMIA process is to advertise the job for at least a month in at least thee approved places to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. The LMIA application then needs to be submitted (along with a $1K fee) for processing which typically takes 2-4 months - with no guarantee of approval. Based on what you've said, it sounds like neither of your employers are willing to go through the LMIA process? If that's the case, I unfortunately don't see any options that would allow you to stay and continue working.

If you had qualified and already applied for permanent residency through an economic immigration program like Express Entry, there could be options to obtain a bridging open work permit (once you are selected, your application submitted and accepted). However it doesn't sound like that's something you have done or explored.
Hey, thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Upsetting that I'll have to leave this beautiful place and only return as a visitor, but it's been an amazing two years at least!.

Thanks again,

Tony.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey, thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Upsetting that I'll have to leave this beautiful place and only return as a visitor, but it's been an amazing two years at least!.

Thanks again,

Tony.
You may want to spend some time looking into Canada's immigration programs - specifically the Express Entry program. Quite possible you may qualify and have enough points to be selected.