+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two visas at the same time - WHV (IEC) + Temporary work permit

IntifadaHD

Jan 20, 2014
Hello everybody,

can I hold two different visas at the same time?

In this particular situation I would have a Working Holidays Visa (obtained through IEC, 6 months length) and a temporary work permit for 1 year (skilled worker).

I currently applied for a CAQ (Certificate of acceptance) with my employer, and after that I guess I will have to apply for a temporary work permit (in Québec). I don't live in Canada at the moment, so my WHV is yet to be activated.

Is there any problem in this particular situation? Can the visa granted last cancel and supersede the one before?

Thank you for your help!

maartenvg

Star Member
Oct 16, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2015
AOR Received.
15-07-2015 (1st stage)
File Transfer...
06-08-2015 (SA)
Med's Done....
05-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-01-2016
Why will your Working Holiday work permit only be for 6 months? Usually it is 1 or 2 years from the moment you activate it at the border, depending on your current country.

Applying for a normal closed WP while on a Working Holiday is possible. I'm not sure if the old one would still be valid after getting the new one. My visa lawyers said I could hold more than one work permit at the same time, but in my case that wasn't really relevant because I was only interested in the new one.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

maartenvg said:
Why will your Working Holiday work permit only be for 6 months? Usually it is 1 or 2 years from the moment you activate it at the border, depending on your current country.

Applying for a normal closed WP while on a Working Holiday is possible. I'm not sure if the old one would still be valid after getting the new one. My visa lawyers said I could hold more than one work permit at the same time, but in my case that wasn't really relevant because I was only interested in the new one.
1. There are number of countries where you only get a 6 month IEC, (Especially for young professionals)you can go through the list here is you want: http://www.international.gc.ca/experience/intro_incoming-intro_entrant.aspx
2. Last visa issued will cancel the first.