+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two masters degree (one year each) - Planning for post graduation work permit

faisal_ahmed

Oct 4, 2010
Hello everyone,
I am International student of Mcmaster University. I have completed my one year masters (M.Eng) on Electrical and Computer Engineering and currently pursuing my second masters degree on Engineering and Public policy which is also one year in duration.

Upon completion of my current degree, I am thinking of gaining some work experience in Canada under the post graduation work permit. As I will have two masters degree each being one year in duration, will the CIC count my study length as two years or just the duration one my degree completed last which will be one year? I want to know this so that I can estimate a possible duration of my further stay in Canada. Because as I am concerned, two years degree level education may get you a three years work permit. But I am not sure whether they accept two different degrees for that maximum work permit.

Well, a friend of mine, who is from India, is also in some similar situation. Difference is that, after completing his one year masters in electrical engineering with me in Mcmaster, he got enrolled in Memorial University for doing Master of Engineering Management, a one year long course. As his two masters degree are from two different institutions, will his case be considered different than mine while issuing post graduation work permit?

Both of us would be really grateful if anyone can explain our situations. Thank you. :)

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Each yr in school in Canada is considered separately as one yr if u had done one yr, if its two yrs then considered as 2 yrs. The same case applies for yr friend regardless of the university attended.

Why did u complete 2 masters in the first place, both in engineering?

jhita

Aug 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th Nov.
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
25th Nov.
LANDED..........
18th Dec.
Re: Two masters degree (one year each) - Planning for post graduation work per

In my view, you would get at least two year PGWP, provided the two degrees are done with maximum of one year gap in between them.

faisal_ahmed

Oct 4, 2010
@abelkwh.... So you are saying that both my years will be counted?
Well, i did electrical engineering to enhance my knowlegde in that field. And about public policy management, it's not actually a pure engineering degree. It's actually for those who are interested to join public policy department in an engineering farm. I am doing it solely from my personal interest, didn't think about its effect on my PGWP. But now i am a little bit confused.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Yes, every year of education that u have is counted and it doesnt matter if its a one yr or two yr masters. Good for u to have double masters, same here, i also have double masters. Glad that i have found someone of similar background! hahah cheers dude!