+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

two graduate certificate program of one year each = 3 year pgwp ?

pawiks101

Mar 24, 2019
I don't know why you keep saying this in so many threads.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
Hi,

Just a question, I have started my 1st course in Business Management last Jan 2019 and will be finishing by August 2019 and I am planning to take another course which is Mobile Application Development (IT course) on Sept 2019 and will end by April 2020.

Am I eligible now for 3yrs PGWP after the 2nd course? TiA

Muffins21

Sep 17, 2019
Yes. Apply for acceptance to the school and then student visa extension while still completing your other course but you may not hear back until after you have finished your course which is fine. The time frame you are looking at is also fine but as people have stated you can't work in between the 2 courses and can only work when you begin full-time courses again. That is if you want to work in the first place.
Hello, just a question. What valid reason should i give for immigration to extend my visa for another 1 year after having granted me a 1 year study visa?
Thank you.

commando

Jan 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Yes
hey guys i need some info regarding this.
If a student completes 1 year certificate program (30 credits) and does another 1 year certificate program (30 credits) but 5 courses match in the 2 certificates so they transfer credit from the first program to the second program. do they still qualify for the 3 year pgwp as the 2 certificates are officially 1 year each ?

thanks

edit: 5 courses are the same in both programs

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hey guys i need some info regarding this.
If a student completes 1 year certificate program (30 credits) and does another 1 year certificate program (30 credits) but 3-4 courses match in the 2 certificates so they transfer credit from the first program to the second program. do they still qualify for the 3 year pgwp as the 2 certificates are officially 1 year each ?

thanks
Did you attend enough classes to be full-time without the transfer credits?

commando

Jan 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Yes
Did you attend enough classes to be full-time without the transfer credits?
I was fulltime student throughout my first certificate (8 MONTHS ALL TOGETHER)(5 courses taken in first semester and 5 taken in the second semester).

I started the second program right after I finished the first program (without any gaps) and I am still a full time student. (I took 4 courses this semester--4 MONTHS--) Next (Summer) semester I have 1 course left (another 4 months) and upon taking that I would have met the requirements of the second certificate program. Is that what you were asking ?

EDIT:::: I have 5 courses that are transferring over from my first certificate.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was fulltime student throughout my first certificate (8 MONTHS ALL TOGETHER)(5 courses taken in first semester and 5 taken in the second semester).

I started the second program right after I finished the first program (without any gaps) and I am still a full time student. (I took 4 courses this semester--4 MONTHS--) Next (Summer) semester I have 1 course left (another 4 months) and upon taking that I would have met the requirements of the second certificate program. Is that what you were asking ?

EDIT:::: I have 5 courses that are transferring over from my first certificate.
If you were part-time in the last semester you are likely fine. If you have so many transfer credits you must be essentially repeating courses. You may not receive the full PGWP time you expected because you are using transfer credits not actually studying.

commando

Jan 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Yes
If you were part-time in the last semester you are likely fine. If you have so many transfer credits you must be essentially repeating courses. You may not receive the full PGWP time you expected because you are using transfer credits not actually studying.
So it is better to do a different program where I don't repeat any courses right ? i found a program which i can do but 1 course is still the same.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So it is better to do a different program where I don't repeat any courses right ? i found a program which i can do but 1 course is still the same.
Id you are looking to maximize your PGWP you shouldn’t do a program where you will receive half of the courses through transfer credits.

Reactions: commando

Fay M.

Mar 23, 2020
Hi! I'm finishing my first program on April and I'm taking another program on Sept. However, the 2 programs are not related. Is it true that the visa officer might reject my application or worst, this might affect my application for PR in the future?

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
I don't know why you keep saying this in so many threads.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
So its quite clear that you aren't gona receive the written confirmation in 8 months. Its once after the results n graduation is done. Because the 8 months are just study n exams. So it would be fine to begin another course by sept n working in between the couse

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Yes. Apply for acceptance to the school and then student visa extension while still completing your other course but you may not hear back until after you have finished your course which is fine. The time frame you are looking at is also fine but as people have stated you can't work in between the 2 courses and can only work when you begin full-time courses again. That is if you want to work in the first place.
The rule clearly states you can apply 150 days within after receiving a written confirmation of your completion of your first course. Its pretty obvious you are not getting your certificate I 8 months as 8 months is all about studying n exams n the last 3 months may consist coop or internship but If you wait till sept that wouldn't be an issue