+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to understand the reason why are the work and education history being asked when apply for PR card renewal

MoeMoeMoe

Jul 23, 2024
Hello everyone,

So as far as I know, the only requirement to renew your PR card is meet the residency obligation (the 730 days limit). Being a PR is not required to work anywhere or study anywhere because it's just the sign of residency. If PRs stay long enough in Canada, then their PR status should be maintained.

Suppose my understanding and assumption is correct, then why do IRCC require information of work or education history when people trying to renew their PR cards?
More specifically, I want to ask:

Does work history or education history have any impact on the decision of approval of PR renewal?

For my case, I was unemployed for more than 2 years continuously, and of course didn't go to any education institutions. So should I concern?

I followed and will meet the residency obligation (730 days in past 5 years), should I worry because my bad work and education history?

Any kind suggestions or information is really appreciated, thank you so much in advance!

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

So as far as I know, the only requirement to renew your PR card is meet the residency obligation (the 730 days limit). Being a PR is not required to work anywhere or study anywhere because it's just the sign of residency. If PRs stay long enough in Canada, then their PR status should be maintained.

Suppose my understanding and assumption is correct, then why do IRCC require information of work or education history when people trying to renew their PR cards?
More specifically, I want to ask:

Does work history or education history have any impact on the decision of approval of PR renewal?

For my case, I was unemployed for more than 2 years continuously, and of course didn't go to any education institutions. So should I concern?

I followed and will meet the residency obligation (730 days in past 5 years), should I worry because my bad work and education history?

Any kind suggestions or information is really appreciated, thank you so much in advance!
It is used to substantiate and verify your compliance with the residency obligation.

No - as long as you meet the RO, being unemployed will not have an impact on your PR card renewal. Simply state the truth in the questionnaire.

MoeMoeMoe

Jul 23, 2024
It is used to substantiate and verify your compliance with the residency obligation.

Thanks for the info! But how being unemployed during X period can be used to substantiate and verify my compliance with the residency obligation? Just cause I filled the country column during my unemployment period? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Well of course in that case it can't be used as a cross check. I was talking in general terms, because you asked the question why they are asking for this type of information.

But it's fine - simply state the truth.