+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to do some research; questions & concerns.

Andrew In NL

Aug 3, 2009
Hello,

I, along with my fiancee, are looking into the immigration process at the moment. Specifically, she is, as a UK citizen (from Northern Ireland) with me being the Canadian (in Newfoundland). I'm going to provide, first, an account of our relationship, so please bear with me here.

We met in August of 2008 online, on a forum that we both frequent, and have since been together as a couple. It wasn't what either of us was seeking, but we hit it off and, although the idea of an online relationship was unorthodox, we agreed upon it. She's eighteen at present, I'm twenty-one; she just completed her final year of high school and is awaiting her final grades come mid-August. In April, for her 18th birthday, I flew there but was rejected entrance into the UK because they expected that I would not stay for the week stated, that I wanted to illegally immigrate there, etc. That was crushing, but we got through it, and at the end of July she flew here for a week and a half with me. We prepared as necessary - she got acceptance letters (pending, of course, the results of her grades) and everything to prove her intent to return to her country and whatnot, but didn't wind up even needing any of it to begin with.

Anyway, we are a genuine couple, though unfortunately separated by the atlantic between us. When she was here, I proposed to her and she said yes, so now we're prepared for marriage at some juncture. Herein lies the beginning of the complications. She's interested in attending university at MUN and in applying for a student visa, but we're very concerned regarding the potential bumps in that process. Specifically, our relationship and what would be her intent to return back home upon the completion of her studies.

She's presently looking into MUN, though won't be able to really formally apply until her grades get back to her in mid-August, and we're also taking a look into the options for visa. Originally the plan was for her to attend three terms at either Leeds or Manchester, depending on which accepted her/her preference should both accept her, and to try and transfer here. However, in light of the engagement, she is willing to skip the time there and to just come here to complete the entirety of her subjects.

I'm not sure how to go about listing the details that, based on browsing these forums, seem relevant, so I'm going to list off some of the information that seems necessary based off of what I've read.

- My living situation is - I am unemployed. A knee injury forced me to go on sick benefit unemployment, which switched over to regular unemployment, while I go through an institution here to complete the high school program and then a college program, as I did not originally complete high school. I am living with my mother in a rented two-story house. She will be staying here with us should she be allowed to come into Canada to study.

- If, financially, we are in a position when she is here to move into our own place, would that have any impact on her visa, or would she have to alter any information on it, or would it in any way jeopardize her temporary immigration into Canada?

- Our relationship will obviously have an impact on her application for the student visa, but will it be massively detrimental to the process? I've seen that the common reason stated for refusal seems to be that they were not satisfied with intent to leave the country, so obviously having a fiancee here would put that at the forefront even more, I would think. Will it make it impossible for her to get the student visa, or difficult to the point where it's near-impossible?

- She does have an aunt and uncle here in Canada - specifically, in Ontario - so I'm again wondering whether that would play into it at all? Bearing in mind that her parents, two other aunts and uncles, and her remaining two grandparents are all in the UK (either in London, Belfast or Dublin). Her grandmother is presently battling cancer again - inoperable and there's nothing they can do, so it should be apparent that she wouldn't want to flee the country on a permanent basis, correct?

- With regards to sponsoring her as a partner or as her husband should we get married, how would we go about the year of living together within the country by legal means? Would she have to come for six months on a temporary resident visa, return home and come back again, or is there another option? Obviously, as she's attempting to come here to attend university, being able to study is the goal and spending a year without being able to is a big hindrance for her and her future, of course. So, should we get married while she's got a student visa, would she be able to extend her visa further to continue her studies without a lot of problems? If so, upon completion of her studies, would she be able to stay within Canada while we wait through the process for her to become a PR, or would she have to return to the UK while we wait for the ultimate ruling on that? And if she can stay, would she be able to get a work permit while she's here, or would she have to leave to the UK and return for it to come into effect?

That's a lot of the primary things that jumped out at me, and I did have more, but they aren't coming to mind again. We're trying to do our research and I've read the CIC website, so now I'm interested in the views of those that have gone through the process or are involved in the process, etc. She's already going to have to fly to and from London to deliver the application, for an interview and things like this in the process, and as we're both young and lacking in the financial department, this isn't something that's easily accomplished by any stretch. Eliminating mistakes and making sure that it's done right is what the goal is, and of course to prove that we are a legitimate partnership with the intent to spend our lives together. This is by no means a fraudulent relationship, so the goal is to prove as much without having to sacrifice years of her life with which she could spend studying.

If there's anything that I've left out here that may be important, please ask me about it and I'll tell you. I'm really looking to investigate all avenues here to get a grasp on things along with her, so even if there isn't something left out that's important but -might be- important, or even just something that might come up, please ask about that too.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Andrew In NL said:
Hello,

I, along with my fiancee, are looking into the immigration process at the moment. Specifically, she is, as a UK citizen (from Northern Ireland) with me being the Canadian (in Newfoundland). I'm going to provide, first, an account of our relationship, so please bear with me here.

We met in August of 2008 online, on a forum that we both frequent, and have since been together as a couple. It wasn't what either of us was seeking, but we hit it off and, although the idea of an online relationship was unorthodox, we agreed upon it. She's eighteen at present, I'm twenty-one; she just completed her final year of high school and is awaiting her final grades come mid-August. In April, for her 18th birthday, I flew there but was rejected entrance into the UK because they expected that I would not stay for the week stated, that I wanted to illegally immigrate there, etc. That was crushing, but we got through it, and at the end of July she flew here for a week and a half with me. We prepared as necessary - she got acceptance letters (pending, of course, the results of her grades) and everything to prove her intent to return to her country and whatnot, but didn't wind up even needing any of it to begin with.

Anyway, we are a genuine couple, though unfortunately separated by the atlantic between us. When she was here, I proposed to her and she said yes, so now we're prepared for marriage at some juncture. Herein lies the beginning of the complications. She's interested in attending university at MUN and in applying for a student visa, but we're very concerned regarding the potential bumps in that process. Specifically, our relationship and what would be her intent to return back home upon the completion of her studies.

She's presently looking into MUN, though won't be able to really formally apply until her grades get back to her in mid-August, and we're also taking a look into the options for visa. Originally the plan was for her to attend three terms at either Leeds or Manchester, depending on which accepted her/her preference should both accept her, and to try and transfer here. However, in light of the engagement, she is willing to skip the time there and to just come here to complete the entirety of her subjects.

I'm not sure how to go about listing the details that, based on browsing these forums, seem relevant, so I'm going to list off some of the information that seems necessary based off of what I've read.

- My living situation is - I am unemployed. A knee injury forced me to go on sick benefit unemployment, which switched over to regular unemployment, while I go through an institution here to complete the high school program and then a college program, as I did not originally complete high school. I am living with my mother in a rented two-story house. She will be staying here with us should she be allowed to come into Canada to study.

- If, financially, we are in a position when she is here to move into our own place, would that have any impact on her visa, or would she have to alter any information on it, or would it in any way jeopardize her temporary immigration into Canada?

- Our relationship will obviously have an impact on her application for the student visa, but will it be massively detrimental to the process? I've seen that the common reason stated for refusal seems to be that they were not satisfied with intent to leave the country, so obviously having a fiancee here would put that at the forefront even more, I would think. Will it make it impossible for her to get the student visa, or difficult to the point where it's near-impossible?

- She does have an aunt and uncle here in Canada - specifically, in Ontario - so I'm again wondering whether that would play into it at all? Bearing in mind that her parents, two other aunts and uncles, and her remaining two grandparents are all in the UK (either in London, Belfast or Dublin). Her grandmother is presently battling cancer again - inoperable and there's nothing they can do, so it should be apparent that she wouldn't want to flee the country on a permanent basis, correct?

- With regards to sponsoring her as a partner or as her husband should we get married, how would we go about the year of living together within the country by legal means? Would she have to come for six months on a temporary resident visa, return home and come back again, or is there another option? Obviously, as she's attempting to come here to attend university, being able to study is the goal and spending a year without being able to is a big hindrance for her and her future, of course. So, should we get married while she's got a student visa, would she be able to extend her visa further to continue her studies without a lot of problems? If so, upon completion of her studies, would she be able to stay within Canada while we wait through the process for her to become a PR, or would she have to return to the UK while we wait for the ultimate ruling on that? And if she can stay, would she be able to get a work permit while she's here, or would she have to leave to the UK and return for it to come into effect?

That's a lot of the primary things that jumped out at me, and I did have more, but they aren't coming to mind again. We're trying to do our research and I've read the CIC website, so now I'm interested in the views of those that have gone through the process or are involved in the process, etc. She's already going to have to fly to and from London to deliver the application, for an interview and things like this in the process, and as we're both young and lacking in the financial department, this isn't something that's easily accomplished by any stretch. Eliminating mistakes and making sure that it's done right is what the goal is, and of course to prove that we are a legitimate partnership with the intent to spend our lives together. This is by no means a fraudulent relationship, so the goal is to prove as much without having to sacrifice years of her life with which she could spend studying.

If there's anything that I've left out here that may be important, please ask me about it and I'll tell you. I'm really looking to investigate all avenues here to get a grasp on things along with her, so even if there isn't something left out that's important but -might be- important, or even just something that might come up, please ask about that too.
1. Ok, attending MUN, it is probably too late for the coming fall, she needs to apply about 4 months in advance. You know that she will pay international rates? $8,800 for 30 credit hours plus to get the study permit she will have to have $10K for living expenses.
2. To sponsor her, you would either have to be common/law couple and have lived together in "a marriage like relationship" for 1 year. Or if you were married, you could sponsor her immediately. I don't want to make any judgments, but you have only met in person for a couple of weeks, and you are talking marriage.
3. If she was here as a student, and you married, she could continue to study while the application was processed.
4. After 6 months of school, she could apply for an off-campus work permit, which would allow her to work PT during the school year, and full time during the semester breaks.
5. A PR application would take less than a year (usually) if it is processed as an out of Canada application through London. Yes you can submit an out of Canada application while residing in Canada.

PMM

Andrew In NL

Aug 3, 2009
1. Yes, we're aware that the fall is out of the question - especially, of course, considering the necessary time required to get the student permit in the first place. We were aiming for the beginning of next year with regards to that.

2. I've known her and have spoken with her via video conferencing for 6 - 12 hours daily (depending on her schooling obligations) for almost a calender year now, so despite the time spent together here, we've spent time together. She knows me as well as, if not better than, my own mother does, whom I've lived with for twenty-one and a half years. So with regards to making a rash decision on that front, it isn't the case at all, and you've gotten the wrong impression with that one. This is the biggest concern that I have, mainly because there isn't any way to prove this to an immigration official, and what I was most curious about. With regards to the interviewing process, is it something simple like discussing personal preferences, family histories, things to that effect?

5. That's great. The only question I have left regarding that is - applying through London while she's in Canada, would she have to return there for medical clearances, the interviewing process, etc. or would she be able to do that within Canada, despite applying through the UK?

Also, is there any other information that may be pertinent to the process that has thus far gone unaddressed?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Andrew In NL said:
1. Yes, we're aware that the fall is out of the question - especially, of course, considering the necessary time required to get the student permit in the first place. We were aiming for the beginning of next year with regards to that.

2. I've known her and have spoken with her via video conferencing for 6 - 12 hours daily (depending on her schooling obligations) for almost a calender year now, so despite the time spent together here, we've spent time together. She knows me as well as, if not better than, my own mother does, whom I've lived with for twenty-one and a half years. So with regards to making a rash decision on that front, it isn't the case at all, and you've gotten the wrong impression with that one. This is the biggest concern that I have, mainly because there isn't any way to prove this to an immigration official, and what I was most curious about. With regards to the interviewing process, is it something simple like discussing personal preferences, family histories, things to that effect?

5. That's great. The only question I have left regarding that is - applying through London while she's in Canada, would she have to return there for medical clearances, the interviewing process, etc. or would she be able to do that within Canada, despite applying through the UK?

Also, is there any other information that may be pertinent to the process that has thus far gone unaddressed?
1. Nope, she could have the medical at at a DMP in Canada, just ensure the DMP sends the results to London. Although if an interview is required, it would be in London.
2. You might want to read the Operation Manual http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

PMM

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
@ Andrew - Is it an option to have the aunt or uncle living in Canada 2 sponsor her? With only having one actual meet (correct me if I'm wrong on that) will make it very difficult for you to prove your relationship is genuine. Are you able to prove your daily 6-12hr online conversations?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mud504@yahoo said:
@ Andrew - Is it an option to have the aunt or uncle living in Canada 2 sponsor her? With only having one actual meet (correct me if I'm wrong on that) will make it very difficult for you to prove your relationship is genuine. Are you able to prove your daily 6-12hr online conversations?
Unless she is an orphan under the age of 18 (which she is not) the Aunt and Uncle can't sponsor.

PMM

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
lol obviously i'm not as smart as you when it comes 2 this immigration stuff. I was not aware of that stipulation, then again I haven't done any research on sponsoring people other then spouse. Thanx for the info tho;)

kwasi

Aug 10, 2009
Hello am kwasi abrokwah from Ghana.i apparently found a company in Canada name cruise shipping. YOU from there they send me the company information and i filled with my friend. The next process that they gave me the Canadian immigration affairs . well the name for the director of immigration is DR JOHN BROWN.

Ottawa Immigration Office

Canada. Again the question i want to ask is that do have any arrangements with cruise shipping. The reason is that the Canadian embassy in Accra send me a mail that they had diplomatic delivery so we should get all the documents. Hence i went to the embassy to ask and i showed them the letter that i received from my mail and the reply was it a scammed .. so i want to know .please help me out.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kwasi said:
Hello am kwasi abrokwah from Ghana.i apparently found a company in Canada name cruise shipping. YOU from there they send me the company information and i filled with my friend. The next process that they gave me the Canadian immigration affairs . well the name for the director of immigration is DR JOHN BROWN.

Ottawa Immigration Office

Canada. Again the question i want to ask is that do have any arrangements with cruise shipping. The reason is that the Canadian embassy in Accra send me a mail that they had diplomatic delivery so we should get all the documents. Hence i went to the embassy to ask and i showed them the letter that i received from my mail and the reply was it a scammed .. so i want to know .please help me out.
SCAM Don't send money, google Dr. John Brown + Immigration

PMM