+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV to TFW

jaycee04

May 2, 2013
Hi Everyone!

I have few question with regards on changing TRV to TFW.

1. What are the procedures in case the TRV holder finds a employer in Canada.
2. Would flagpolling be applicable on this case or she/he should go back from the country she/he came from and wait for the work permit?
3. If changing of visa in the border is not an option, would USA be fine for her/him to exit instead of country of origin?

I hope somebody from the seniors can enlighten me on the above query.

Thanking you in advance.

Jaycee04

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) Assuming employer already has the LMO, you must apply for a work permit. You may be required to attend a medical examination depending on the job and your country of origin.

2) Flagpoling may be a dying choice. It seems more and more people are being told to apply from their home country. CIC's website has stated you must be visa exempt to apply at the border since I can remember reading it. It appears they may be enforcing this.

You can request authorization to work in Canada as you enter Canada but only if you meet the following requirements:
you are temporary resident visa exempt;
•you already hold a valid medical certificate, if it is required for your job; and
•your job does not need a labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) (some exceptions apply); or
•you hold an LMO from HRSDC.

So you may need to return to your home country to get the work permit. You definitely cannot apply inside Canada.

3) In order to apply at New York:

Important message:

Important changes regarding the process for submitting applications to the Consulate General in New York have recently been implemented. Furthermore, changes to what applications are accepted at this office have also been made. Please review the information below for accurate information regarding which applications are accepted at our office and the submission process.

Temporary work permits for Bermuda, St. Pierre et Miquelon, United States (including Puerto Rico), and Virgin Islands (US)

L. A. doesn't issue work permits.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/visas/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

jaycee04

May 2, 2013
Hi Amikety,

Thank you for the response. When going through with CIC website I saw the below:

Apply for a work permit

Find out if you are eligible to apply for a work permit. You normally have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada. Sometimes, you can apply as you enter Canada or from inside Canada, but many of the requirements are the same.

The requirements and processing times depend on the kind of work you will do when you come to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

So now i'm a bit confused as it's contradicting from some points you have mentioned.

I currently hold a US tourist visa. Could I wait for the processing of papers there?

Thanks,

Joseph

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
jaycee04 said:
Hi Amikety,

Thank you for the response. When going through with CIC website I saw the below:

Apply for a work permit

Find out if you are eligible to apply for a work permit. You normally have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada. Sometimes, you can apply as you enter Canada or from inside Canada, but many of the requirements are the same.

The requirements and processing times depend on the kind of work you will do when you come to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

So now i'm a bit confused as it's contradicting from some points you have mentioned.

I currently hold a US tourist visa. Could I wait for the processing of papers there?

Thanks,

Joseph
I don't see anything that contradicts what I just said :/

jaycee04

May 2, 2013
So you may need to return to your home country to get the work permit. You definitely cannot apply inside Canada.

I'm really confused now as I read in other post it's fine to apply inside Canada with a TRV. Do you have link that states that it's prohibited?

Thanking you in advance.

Jaycee

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp

This is exactly what I posted earlier.

Traditionally, CIC was ignoring the visa exempt requirement and allowing people to apply at the border, however it appears they have tightened this rule. Up to you if you want to try. Let us know what happens.

jaycee04

May 2, 2013
So you are saying I could still get the work permit even with my TRV status? However CIC started to tightened their rule with regards to people applying from the border.

How about other ways like mailing my application in Canadian consulates in US?

Thank you for your help.

Jaycee

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
jaycee04 said:
So you are saying I could still get the work permit even with my TRV status? However CIC started to tightened their rule with regards to people applying from the border.

How about other ways like mailing my application in Canadian consulates in US?

Thank you for your help.

Jaycee
That was also in my previous post. I also provided a link.