+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV Length & Validity Period

umerazizmalik

Jul 27, 2016
Hello Experts,

I have applied for a TRV on 22nd July, 2016 and submitted my bio-metrics at the VAC in Islamabad on 25th July, 2016. I had an invitation letter from my employers in Canada stating that I am being invited for a week's stay for a company function. The event that I was supposed to attend was originally planned from the 19th of September. But due to some issues, it has been postponed until March/April, 2017. I have updated the CIC with this information.

While I am still waiting for a response from the CIC, I wanted to understand the usually granted length of the visa and also its validity? Considering this will be my first time of entering Canada (if granted visa), what is the length of the visa I should expect to receive? I would also like to understand the validity of the visa?

So for example; I get a 6 month long visa on the 15th of September, then would it be valid for 6 months from 15th of September? Or it will have a standard validity, lets say a year from the day of issuance of visa?

Please let me know.

Thanks
Umer

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
umerazizmalik said:
Hello Experts,

I have applied for a TRV on 22nd July, 2016 and submitted my bio-metrics at the VAC in Islamabad on 25th July, 2016. I had an invitation letter from my employers in Canada stating that I am being invited for a week's stay for a company function. The event that I was supposed to attend was originally planned from the 19th of September. But due to some issues, it has been postponed until March/April, 2017. I have updated the CIC with this information.

While I am still waiting for a response from the CIC, I wanted to understand the usually granted length of the visa and also its validity? Considering this will be my first time of entering Canada (if granted visa), what is the length of the visa I should expect to receive? I would also like to understand the validity of the visa?

So for example; I get a 6 month long visa on the 15th of September, then would it be valid for 6 months from 15th of September? Or it will have a standard validity, lets say a year from the day of issuance of visa?

Please let me know.

Thanks
Umer
I don't quite understand what you are asking and in fact I think you are confusing a TRV with a visitor status.

A TRV has its validity stamped, so there is no room for interpretation. There is no "usual" or "most common" time given, the only thing for sure is that it won't be longer than the validity of your passport.

Once you are in Canada a visitor status will be granted. The visitor status will be valid from the day it was given, to the amount of time given by the CBSA officer. There is no way to tell how much time you will be given but it won't be more than six months.

umerazizmalik

Jul 27, 2016
Jalex23 said:
I don't quite understand what you are asking and in fact I think you are confusing a TRV with a visitor status.

A TRV has its validity stamped, so there is no room for interpretation. There is no "usual" or "most common" time given, the only thing for sure is that it won't be longer than the validity of your passport.

Once you are in Canada a visitor status will be granted. The visitor status will be valid from the day it was given, to the amount of time given by the CBSA officer. There is no way to tell how much time you will be given but it won't be more than six months.
Thank you for the reply and clearing my confusion. So if I understand correctly, if i receive my TRV on the 15th of September and its validity is 6 months, then I have to enter canada within those 6 months. And the duration of my stay is dependent on the CBSA officer's discretion. Correct?

Thank you.
Umer

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
umerazizmalik said:
Thank you for the reply and clearing my confusion. So if I understand correctly, if i receive my TRV on the 15th of September and its validity is 6 months, then I have to enter canada within those 6 months. And the duration of my stay is dependent on the CBSA officer's discretion. Correct?

Thank you.
Umer
Correct.